Hacking Installing EmuNAND with a ton of stuff already on my card?

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hi guys, so I have an SD card in my 3DS with a bunch of stuff on it, games I bought off eshop, saves etc...

Following emunand guide it looks like the card will be formatted? So how do I install Emunand and not lose stuff on my SD card?

Can I use a different SD card, let it do its thing then copy contents from that SD card to the one that is full of stuff?

Or do I need to copy stuff of of my SD card, do the format thing then copy things back over?

Whats the best way to do this?

Also side question, with Emunand, it sounds like if you restart the system there is a chance of youupdating to Nintendo FW update on accident since after reboot it goes back to systemNand and not emunand?

Lucifer666

all the world needs is me
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Backup your SD card contents (copy them to your computer)

Create emuNAND partition (this will wipe your SD card)

Copy your backup back to the SD card. That's all.

Though if you want to unlink sysNAND and emuNAND, take out the SD card and format your 3DS. (unnecessary but recommended)

To answer your 2nd question, yeah while you're in emuNAND only ever update from the system settings. Not from the eShop or anywhere else.

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

Though if you want to unlink sysNAND and emuNAND, take out the SD card and format your 3DS. (unnecessary but recommended)

To answer your 2nd question, yeah while you're in emuNAND only ever update from the system settings. Not from the eShop or anywhere else.

What does unliking give you? What are pros and cons of unlinking vs keeping linked? Is it easy to re-link? What do I lose by formatting 3DS? in other words whats kept on it vs SD card?

PLEYOR

Trophies
XP
Country
In regards to your last question. You have to run the exploit each time you want to run emunand after powering down.

I think you might be confusing this with people accessing the system menu and exiting then updating. Accessing the system menu and then exiting kicks you back to sysnand.

I am also interested in the other question you asked :).

Lucifer666

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What does unliking give you? What are pros and cons of unlinking vs keeping linked? Is it easy to re-link?

OK so when your sysNAND and emuNAND are linked (by default), any games/apps installed via CIA will also appear on your sysNAND but you can't run them, so it looks really messy. Also going to Data Management in sysNAND would delete that stuff

I've unlinked just this morning, so now I have my sysNAND which has no NNID, a white theme, and no games on it whatsoever, and I don't use it at all except for DS games. My emuNAND has custom themes, a crap ton of games (my legit ones too), my NNID, friends, and so on. Unlinking them basically makes it feel like you own 2 different systems, whereas when they're linked it feels like 2 systems are awkwardly sharing resources between them.

It took me a long time to wrap my head around all this gateway mumbo jumbo, so no worries about asking too many questions. Might make a Gateway Noob video if I feel like it :P

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Doesn't really matter when as long as it's after the sysNAND format

So is there a step by step unlinking guide? And how do you re-link them?

What happens to the games that are from eshop that are not on SD card? I have a few GameBoy games that are there even if I take out SD card and have nothing in the game slot.

Lucifer666

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So is there a step by step unlinking guide? And how do you re-link them?

Re-linking isn't exactly possible AFAIK. Only way to get a linked sysNAND and emuNAND again is by creating a new emuNAND partition linked to your formatted sysNAND. You won't really want to do it though

And hey I'm totally down for writing a step by step guide if you're able to wait until tonight/tomorrow morning

Reactions: twicefalles

Chrushev

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Re-linking isn't exactly possible AFAIK. Only way to get a linked sysNAND and emuNAND again is by creating a new emuNAND partition linked to your formatted sysNAND. You won't really want to do it though

And hey I'm totally down for writing a step by step guide if you're able to wait until tonight/tomorrow morning

Yup that would be useful not only for me but others im sure :) Try provide screenshots!

SaintTsubasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

So, I'ts my first time using GW. I backed up all my internal SD data (copied everything from it to my pc).
Launched GW mode and formatted Emunand
Turned off my 3ds.
Copied everything back to de SD.

But I cant see my games now on sysNAND or emuNAND. Did I miss something?

Lucifer666

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'ts my first time using GW. I backed up all my internal SD data (copied everything from it to my pc).
Launched GW mode and formatted Emunand
Turned off my 3ds.
Copied everything back to de SD.

But I cant see my games now on sysNAND or emuNAND. Did I miss something?

Yeah something's definitely wrong there

When you say "formatted emunand", you of course mean from the gateway menu, right? Not from system settings

also when you're copying everything back you'll realise there's a new 'Nintendo 3DS' folder on the SD. Just get rid of it and put your old one on

SaintTsubasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yeah something's definitely wrong there

When you say "formatted emunand", you of course mean from the gateway menu, right? Not from system settings

also when you're copying everything back you'll realise there's a new 'Nintendo 3DS' folder on the SD. Just get rid of it and put your old one on

Yeah, I formatted Emunand from the GW menu and replaced the Nintendo 3DS folder with my older one. I will try deleting the Nintendo 3DS folder on the SD and copying my old one. Maybe something happened when I tried replacing the new one in the SD with the old one.

EDIT: Ok, now it works. It probably had some of the new files lying around in that folder and that was messing with it. Thanks!

Silver-Tiger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ok, this is a question from me but it might be also interesting for the OP.

So I'm under system setting and it says GW3D 9.2, I can be sure that Emunand will be updated, right?

SaintTsubasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

RenegadeKid

Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, this is a question from me but it might be also interesting for the OP.

So I'm under system setting and it says GW3D 9.2, I can be sure that Emunand will be updated, right?

How did you do to update your emunand to 9.2 ? The latest firmware shouldn't be 9.4?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1