Installing CFW to my friends 2DS, how to make vanilla as possible?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by proflayton123, Jul 9, 2017.

1. proflayton123
    OP

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    As the title says, how could I essentially make it brick proof? I don't want him to do something by accident because he lives far away from me and is staying for two weeks (offtopic)

Thinking of deleting FBI after using it so he doesn't do anything stupid

2. CoolLink

CoolLink Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2012
    United States
    You may want to remove gm9 from the Luma payloads to prevent messing up the nand. It's pretty hard to actually break anything without FBI or GM9

bakageta and proflayton123 like this.
  3. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    But without FBI he would be limited to eshop only games. So yeah.

Maybe teach him how to properly use FBI and have common sense? Other than that, yes remove GM9.

Zidapi, bakageta and wormdood like this.
  4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    To make things as vanilla as possible:
    • Install B9S
    • Put the Luma3DS 8.1 boot.firm onto the root of the SD card
    • Put the boot.firm onto the CTRNAND root
    • Delete all other CFW files and payloads from the SD card, including GodMode9
    • Don't install any illegitimate titles (FBI, etc.)

Zidapi, Quantumcat and bakageta like this.
  5. bakageta

bakageta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2016
    United States
    I'd consider leaving FBI, replacing godmode9 with hourglass9, and doing some simple education. Hourglass9 is pretty newb-friendly, and would still let them dump their carts to CIA and install with FBI. Then just show him how to install+delete a CIA, and tell him to never use FBI to delete things from the sdcard.

It's not vanilla, but it's not like you're teaching him to hack it himself.

Last edited by bakageta, Jul 9, 2017
  6. tivanh

tivanh GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    Hey mate, for full noob setup , compile a recent luma without menus etc, leaving only the piracy protection. Install feeshop and delete everything else hombrew related. A9, B9 either way will suit. Forget fanboys and those obsessive with update ocd. That setup above would suit more than 90% end users. Not the less than 10% who aren't noobs, and who will say but, but, but, whic is based not on your needs but a projection of their own pandandics which won't effect you and probably not most of them. Pm if you want such a build or any help. Good luck.

7. bakageta

bakageta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2016
    United States
    If you're compiling a custom Luma, are you just removing Rosalina like the legacy builds or do you get rid of the select at boot for config too? First book should still pop the config up and that's one less option they could mess with, if you're going that far.

The only problem I see with getting someone used to a custom Luma or not providing a Luma updater app is they're going to update some time in the future, and older Luma builds may break. They'll end up with either all kinds of weird problems, or a system that won't boot until they pull the card and update by hand.

It's easier to teach someone to run the Luma updater before ever doing a system update.

8. CoolLink

CoolLink Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 26, 2012
    United States
    While I didn't explicitly state it, I assumed he would install CIAngel or FreeShop first.

9. Alex658

Alex658 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 4, 2010
    Venezuela
    Venezuela
    It's the same situation, as both CIAngel and Freeshop mirror the eshop's server. Are you forgetting about cartridge only-based games? They would lack a way to install these if they get rid of FBI.

10. proflayton123
    OP

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Got him freeshop he's happy with it, although I'm worried he's going to already fill the SD card xD

11. Ominous66521

Ominous66521 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Use reinand since it doesn't have any menu's.

toto621 likes this.