Hacking Installed Wii IOS58 on vWii. How to reverse?

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. Sorry for shitty topic but couldn't really think of anything else.

I'll try be as detailed as i can of my stupidity.

I wanted to get Nintendont running on my vWii so i followed this guide and everything went great until i couldn't boot up a game so i installed the IOS58 that was mentioned in the guide. I probably missed something because i ended up downloading the IOS58 trough NUSD and apparently it was/is for the Wii and not vWii.

vWii mode works fine with games and all but when i try to run homebrew it just gives me a black screen and console freezes and i have to cut the power to get it working again.

I managed to get some help on how to access a WAD manager and booting it up but i'm hitting a wall and i would like some help to figure this out.

I successfully boot up Wii Mod v3.2 and i get this which seems fine.

DRz1lwZ.jpg

When i click WAD Manager (which i suppose is the right choice here) i get this.

8KwpDW1.jpg

I thought about maybe "uninstalling" the IOS58 that i installed in the first place but i read that you shouldn't so i'm scared until someone tells me otherwise.

When i press to continue and choose the file IOS58 v6432.wad (which is supposed to be the correct vWii IOS58) i get this error.

2UjHHJR.jpg

After this i don't know what to do. I really hope there is an easy fix or a fix at all. I'm not completely stupid when it comes to messing around with files and stuff i just don't really understand all the terms in the Wii homebrew world.

Thank you for reading :)

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Since you most likely loaded WiiMod using a game with an available exploit, the application didn't inherit any hardware access rights, and thus it cannot disable the memory protection to apply patches to the running IOS.

You must first reload to a different IOS, preferably one that is patched (the application itself told you that in the second picture); that's what the option "Change IOS" is good for. If you already installed a cIOS, odds are you can choose IOS249 to do the installation process.

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Since you most likely loaded WiiMod using a game with an available exploit, the application didn't inherit any hardware access rights, and thus it cannot disable the memory protection to apply patches to the running IOS.

You must first reload to a different IOS, preferably one that is patched (the application itself told you that in the second picture); that's what the option "Change IOS" is good for. If you already installed a cIOS, odds are you can choose IOS249 to do the installation process.

I just tried to load 249 ( i know i installed some custom ios294 to run homebrew before) but it freezes. Do i need to have the file in the /wad folder of the SD card?

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I solved it thanks to user "TheChield"
What i did was i ran YAMM elf file and chose IOS236 and then i could install the vwii ios58. My vwii is loading HBC again amongst other things. Thanks :)

sammikins_th3_kitt3n

♾️Neurodivergent🏳️‍⚧️trans🍼crinklefur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi. Sorry for shitty topic but couldn't really think of anything else.

I'll try be as detailed as i can of my stupidity.

I wanted to get Nintendont running on my vWii so i followed this guide and everything went great until i couldn't boot up a game so i installed the IOS58 that was mentioned in the guide. I probably missed something because i ended up downloading the IOS58 trough NUSD and apparently it was/is for the Wii and not vWii.

vWii mode works fine with games and all but when i try to run homebrew it just gives me a black screen and console freezes and i have to cut the power to get it working again.

I managed to get some help on how to access a WAD manager and booting it up but i'm hitting a wall and i would like some help to figure this out.

I successfully boot up Wii Mod v3.2 and i get this which seems fine.

DRz1lwZ.jpg

When i click WAD Manager (which i suppose is the right choice here) i get this.

8KwpDW1.jpg

I thought about maybe "uninstalling" the IOS58 that i installed in the first place but i read that you shouldn't so i'm scared until someone tells me otherwise.

When i press to continue and choose the file IOS58 v6432.wad (which is supposed to be the correct vWii IOS58) i get this error.

2UjHHJR.jpg

After this i don't know what to do. I really hope there is an easy fix or a fix at all. I'm not completely stupid when it comes to messing around with files and stuff i just don't really understand all the terms in the Wii homebrew world.

Thank you for reading :)

how did you get it to launch??? i can't get it to launch using indianapwns

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
how did you get it to launch??? i can't get it to launch using indianapwns

I used Bathaxx but i guess all these exploits work in the same way. Basically what you do is you replace the HBC installer .elf file with YAMM_rev28 .elf file and booted that up. Then i installed the correct .wad file (check PM)

TheChield

Ugly Troll
Trophies
XP
Country
France
this should be in the master vwii page right? Its a solution and deserves a better way to be found.
Yes it should be, but there is a sticky thread that says to be careful and not install wii stuff on vWii and nobody read it...
This shouldn't occur so shouldn't have to be fixed ;)

Phill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I solved it thanks to user "TheChield"
What i did was i ran YAMM elf file and chose IOS236 and then i could install the vwii ios58. My vwii is loading HBC again amongst other things. Thanks :)
Can you pm me the ios58 wad? Had exact same problem :-P

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thank you for tagging me here Kafluke. We can edit this into the guide, but the ultimate issue here is that people making this mistake are obviously not following the currently stickied guide to begin with or they wouldnt even have this issue.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the two (old/previous) vWii tutorial said to use a clean, new, without residual Wii homebrew or files, formated SD card.
users are keeping their files used to hack the wii on their SD card thinking it's alright but some homebrew are using these files automatically if found.

like CJB said, if users followed the guides, they wouldn't even have a Wii version of a IOS. they wouldn't even have ANY IOS on their card, and no homebrew capable of downloading Wii version of the IOSes.
there is already a sticky guide to tell what to NEVER do, but users don't read it before it's too late, because they usually follow old, random and dangerously bad youtube tutorial, then comes here to complain and get help.

Can you pm me the ios58 wad? Had exact same problem :-P
You need only IOS58 ?
do you have a way to install it? (cIOS236 ? cIOS249? forwarder channel ? exploitable game?)
based on your answer, the way to fix your issue will be different.

JoostinOnline: do you know if YAWMM hacksden edition is patching the IOS installation function from IOS249? or is 236 or v58i channel still required?
I didn't check the sources, sorry :P
Also, I never tried v58i channel, is it asking which slot to reload to, or using 249 and installing the wad without user intervention?

Reactions: Kopimist

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for tagging me here Kafluke. We can edit this into the guide, but the ultimate issue here is that people making this mistake are obviously not following the currently stickied guide to begin with or they wouldnt even have this issue.
If you haven't already, I strongly recommend linking to or copying this in whatever guide he's talking about. I know Cyan added it to the stickied guides.

Edit: Never mind, I found the guide and you've already copied the instructions.

Last edited by JoostinOnline,

Phill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the two (old/previous) vWii tutorial said to use a clean, new, without residual Wii homebrew or files, formated SD card.
users are keeping their files used to hack the wii on their SD card thinking it's alright but some homebrew are using these files automatically if found.

like CJB said, if users followed the guides, they wouldn't even have a Wii version of a IOS. they wouldn't even have ANY IOS on their card, and no homebrew capable of downloading Wii version of the IOSes.
there is already a sticky guide to tell what to NEVER do, but users don't read it before it's too late, because they usually follow old, random and dangerously bad youtube tutorial, then comes here to complain and get help.

You need only IOS58 ?
do you have a way to install it? (cIOS236 ? cIOS249? forwarder channel ? exploitable game?)
based on your answer, the way to fix your issue will be different.

JoostinOnline: do you know if YAWMM hacksden edition is patching the IOS installation function from IOS249? or is 236 or v58i channel still required?
I didn't check the sources, sorry :P
Also, I never tried v58i channel, is it asking which slot to reload to, or using 249 and installing the wad without user intervention?
Yes, I can still use 236 to install the ios, if it is a wad, because that's how I installed the Wii one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over