Hacking Installed Kosmos CFW on my 7.0 Switch 6 months ago - do I NEED to update anything for newer NSPs?

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I use the Kosmos CFW from 6 months ago on my Switch on 7.0, haven't used the consoled during that time. Question: Do I need to update the OFW to play my newer backups/NSPs that require OFW >7.0? I remember back then it was necessary to download sig patches or something the like because installing a newer OFW NSP would brick the system otherwise!? Is that still a thing? Or can I just install the newer OFW NSPs with Tinfoil as I did with other 7.1 NSPs 6 months ago without thinking of updating anything?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Any guide on what to do/how to update the OFW (I mean obviously not from Nintendo's servers) and how to update my Kosmos from my current version?
To update Kosmos you need to replace all files with the latest Kosmos release. Also get sigpatches for the firmware you want to upgrade to. Recommended is to update to 8.1.0 for now until 9.0.0 is stable. So your switch is offline? Then you can simply update with ChoiDujourNX.

Soaron123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm with OP, I've had my Switch pretty stable on 6.2.0. Just bought Zelda:LA, but have read I need to update to 8.1.0? Do I just the update atmosphere as normal and use ChoiDujour to update to 8.1.0?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I'm with OP, I've had my Switch pretty stable on 6.2.0. Just bought Zelda:LA, but have read I need to update to 8.1.0? Do I just the update atmosphere as normal and use ChoiDujour to update to 8.1.0?
Yeah, update atmosphere first and then update with ChoiDujourNX to 8.1.0.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OK, I have totally forgotten how I installed my Kosmos CFW. Before booting the CFW the screen displays the Kosmos version as v11.10.1...
So what exactly do I do now? I am honest here, I don't get the difference between Atmosphere and Kosmos. So do I need to update Atmosphere or Kosmos? Where do I get the right update? It's pretty complicated. Also where do I get these sig patches and where do I put them?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
OK, I have totally forgotten how I installed my Kosmos CFW. Before booting the CFW the screen displays the Kosmos version as v11.10.1...
So what exactly do I do now? I am honest here, I don't get the difference between Atmosphere and Kosmos. So do I need to update Atmosphere or Kosmos? Where do I get the right update? It's pretty complicated. Also where do I get these sig patches and where do I put them?
Try using this: https://sdsetup.com/console?switch
Just select Minimal for setup type and tick the "Signature Patches" box in the Customize section before hitting download and that should be all you need to update your CFW. You can also get the Kosmos Updater for easier updates in the future.

moonblood666

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Try using this: https://sdsetup.com/console?switch
Just select Minimal for setup type and tick the "Signature Patches" box in the Customize section before hitting download and that should be all you need to update your CFW. You can also get the Kosmos Updater for easier updates in the future.
Thanks, it seemed to work, though the new interface to boot into the CFW is a bit confusiong. So what do I choose: EmuNand or SysNand? This choice wasn't there before.

Edit: Now the Homebrew menu is gone where I could choose all my homebrew apps.

Last edited by moonblood666,

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks, it seemed to work, though the new interface to boot into the CFW is a bit confusiong. So what do I choose: EmuNand or SysNand? This choice wasn't there before.

Edit: Now the Homebrew menu is gone where I could choose all my homebrew apps.
The old version went to homebrew by default and had you hold R to get the album. They swapped it, now you have to hold R and click the album to open the homebrew channel.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
One last thing: So if I use ChoiDujourNX to update to 8.1 I'll need to keep this AutoRCM activated at all times right?
You don't NEED to, but if you don't, you will not be able to downgrade if you ever want to in the future. From what I know, the system will work just fine even without autoRCM.

RealizmHF

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you use ChoiDujourNX, is it okay to skip firmware versions? Say, skipping from 5.1 straight to 8.0? Or would it be safer for me to get each major firmware version in order?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...