Hardware Installed hardmod O3DS, powers on then shuts down with "click" sound..

Knijn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So I just attempted to install a hardmod on my o3ds, which diddn't seem that hard to do. I thought everything went just fine however when I reassembled the console and tried powering it on. I was pretty sure I'd done everything correctly but the 3ds powers on and then just down after about 3 seconds with a click sound..
What is happening and is there anything I can still do?

azublazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with the guy above me. Sounds like you have a loose ribbon cable, probably one of the screens. I used to fix broken DSi's and DS Lites bought off ebay, and this is a common problem which is an easy fix. Just reseat all of the ribbon cables and you should be good to go.

Knijn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah ok, so how can I verify that they are all plugged in correctly before reassembling the whole thing?

azublazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah ok, so how can I verify that they are all plugged in correctly before reassembling the whole thing?

You don't really. Unless you can specifically tie the exact popping/screen flash to a certain ribbon cable. It's just a matter of opening it back up and making sure all the cables are seated tightly and securely. Good luck in figuring out the problem!

Knijn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, had a feeling that would be the case. Last question though, what if I've made absolutely sure that all the ribbons are all installed correctly and the problem persists. What would be the next step?

azublazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, had a feeling that would be the case. Last question though, what if I've made absolutely sure that all the ribbons are all installed correctly and the problem persists. What would be the next step?

I wouldn't know past that. Maybe some research online could help you? But I'm fairly certain this is the problem as I've repaired several different generations of DS handhelds which had this same exact problem, as well as other problems. It's pretty safe to say screen popping is due to a loose ribbon cable.

Knijn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The reason I'm asking is that when I was reassembling the console for the first time after installing the mod, I had a lot of trouble reinserting one of the wide ribbons coming from the top. That would be either the screen or the screen or the speaker right? How easily do these break?

azublazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The reason I'm asking is that when I was reassembling the console for the first time after installing the mod, I had a lot of trouble reinserting one of the wide ribbons coming from the top. That would be either the screen or the screen or the speaker right? How easily do these break?

I think they're pretty resilient. Not sure exactly which ribbon cable you're mentioning, but I'm sure it's alright. Just make sure it's seated properly. Let us know how it goes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all