Installed DSTwo firmware update, now games have framerate drops

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by jereb, Jun 27, 2015.

1. jereb
    OP

jereb Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    It's been a while since I last updated the firmware, probably about a year. I also overwrote the EOS files, since I didn't know if a new version had been released since the last time I did it. Now that I'm trying to play games, I'm noticing these framerate drops that weren't there before. Mainly in 3D games, and perhaps most noticeably in the title screen for Animal Crossing, where it's like a slideshow now. Also, specifically in Animal Crossing, I've noticed that load times seem to have increased by a noticeable amount. Anyone have any idea what's going on here, or how to fix it?

2. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Try bcking up your SD card, wiping it with a fresh format, and putting the files back. It's worth a shot, just time consuming.

migles likes this.
  3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
  4. jereb
    OP

jereb Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    I tried reformatting and it doesn't seem to have worked.

However, one other thing I tried was to open Animal Crossing in "clean" mode instead of "patch." That actually did help the frame rate a little, but it still wasn't to the state it was before I updated.

EDIT: I replaced the v1.12 EOS files with the v1.11 files and that seems to have fixed the slowdown issues. I have no idea what was changed in that update that might cause slowdown though.

Last edited by jereb, Jun 28, 2015
  5. RagingMytosis

RagingMytosis Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    You need to download the upgrade file that's on the official site. It's right above the link to the latest firmware. It will be a .nds file. I went through the same thing.

6. jereb
    OP

jereb Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2012
    United States
    Ah, I see what you're talking about. I don't think that link was there when I first updated, so I'm guessing it has been added recently.

Where do you even put the file though? In the main SD card directory where you would put a normal upgrade file? I'm just asking since this file is an .nds file, as opposed to .dat like firmware upgrade files normally are.

7. Gyron

Gyron GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    Put it in the root directory, and run it from 'DS_Game'.