Hacking Installed CHBC 1.6 and Mocha - system freezes during reset/reboot.

ingsoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys -

Recently went through the exploit/haxchi/cbhc setup and I have a couple problems.

Firstly, as above, the system gets stuck (the boot music plays but it never goes to menu) when doing a soft/warm reset. Cold booting is fine; I get the mocha splash screen, the system boots and I can launch homebrew/games. I've noticed this when exiting games and HBC, and when trying to launch TCPGecko.

Secondly, I thought I would be able to boot w/o the SDCard, but trying to do so gives me a -3 error at CBHC. Is there a way to boot mocha without SD? Perhaps I missed a step somewhere? BTW I'm not using rednand.

Any insights you guys can provide would be helpful.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys -

Recently went through the exploit/haxchi/cbhc setup and I have a couple problems.

Firstly, as above, the system gets stuck (the boot music plays but it never goes to menu) when doing a soft/warm reset. Cold booting is fine; I get the mocha splash screen, the system boots and I can launch homebrew/games. I've noticed this when exiting games and HBC, and when trying to launch TCPGecko.

Secondly, I thought I would be able to boot w/o the SDCard, but trying to do so gives me a -3 error at CBHC. Is there a way to boot mocha without SD? Perhaps I missed a step somewhere? BTW I'm not using rednand.

Any insights you guys can provide would be helpful.

mocha is for redNAND via coldboothax. u can change the number in the configuration file. it would get stuck for me as well 'til I changed that number. it's either 0 or 1, change it to the opposite (forgot which is redNAND). u can't boot redNAND without an sd card. boot to sysNAND. it can do what mocha can.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mocha is for redNAND via coldboothax. u can change the number in the configuration file. it would get stuck for me as well 'til I changed that number. it's either 0 or 1, change it to the opposite (forgot which is redNAND). u can't boot redNAND without an sd card. boot to sysNAND. it can do what mocha can.
Mocha is not for just redNAND. It's for people who don't have HaxChi and want a CFW. You can use redNAND with Mocha if you want but there's no reason.

If the OP already has CBHC setup then why use Mocha? CBHC uses HaxChi CFW so you're using one CFW to boot another. Even the author of CBHC recommends against using it to launch Mocha. I don't know why guide makers don't get this.

@ingsoc - Press home button when booting so you can set up CBHC to autoboot to system menu. Done. No need for Mocha at all.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Kafluke - I will try that in a bit thank you. I chose Mocha given the full list of features on the gbatemp wiki: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/List_of_WiiU_custom_firmwares

But upon review you're right - I shouldn't need mocha for what I'm doing. Thanks for the clarification.
Do me solid would ya. Check out my noob guide and give me your thoughts. As it gets bigger I'm afraid it's getting harder to understand. Give me some input on whether it makes sense to you or not. Thanks in advanced

ingsoc

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Kafluke - Your guide is great and what I was hoping to find when I did my install. A few reflections:

- the process is clear and simplified which is what is really needed. thank you!
- a clear explanation of the SD card filesystem layout would be helpful. (e.g. "to run apps they need to be inside *this* folder", "to install content with WUP installer it must be located in *this* folder", "these folders are for haxchi or mocha or whatever")
- I would highlight or underline this for Mocha: "It requires you to use the Wii U browser to run every time you want to play a game that doesn't have a valid ticket." That should dissuade folks from running Mocha unless they really want/need to.
- perhaps also explain that if you only want to play games and homebrew, you don't need anything but haxchi (and cbhc) for firmware. that's implied in section 3 but not explicitly stated.
- i almost think that using rednand is not what a noob guide should be about. it's an advanced need and thus should probably be left out to keep this concise and on-point.

Other than that there are some typos (missing apostrophes, using strait instead of straight) but otherwise it's REALLY good. Thank you for the contribution!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality