Installed Android Lollipop on Nexus 7. Any other custom roms for it?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Harsky, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    After noticing my 2012 Nexus 7 was slowing down a lot, I decided to just start fresh and factory reset it. I also took the oppurtunity to play about with installing the recently leaked Android Lollipop image (version lrx21p).
    After a few minutes of playing with Lollipop, I realised that it's still causing some lag when opening apps makes me wonder if there's a recommended custom rom that's close to stock but at the same time efficent and gets rid of lag/improve battery life?

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I have some of the same woes with the N7 2012. It's slow, that's for sure.
    Honestly, the best most stable firmware for the N7 2012 is stock Android 4.1. It's the fastest, by far, and the battery life is much better.

3. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Downgraded back to 4.1 and while it is back to the smoothness, I never realised how outdated it looks now.

4. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Well, as with most old technology (well, this isn't THAT old), you're going to have to choose between smoothness and battery life or visuals. It sucks, but whaddya gonna do. 4.2 or 4.3 should work better as well, since they implemented the TRIM utility.
    I don't think cyanogenmod would make it any smoother, since that's just based off stock android plus some extra customizations.
    Have you looked into F2FS? It's a new type of filesystem which speeds up the nexus 2012 greatly. Here's a link. It's a kernel, so it should work with any ROM after some tweaking. If you need more info, google is your friend.

5. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    So is there any chances of something like a 4.4.4 firmware that's been customised until it's super efficent?

6. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Like I said, F2FS can help greatly. Otherwise, just browse XDA, I'm sure you'll find something.

7. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Came to say pretty much what endoverend just said... You can go by the safe path or browse XDA.. I was actually checking the "Lollypop Dream" ROM for Nexus 5 there not long ago..

8. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    I'm still waiting for my OTA update. I don't feel like flashing the factory image and losing all of my data.

9. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    You can flash without wiping. Just remove the wipe commands from the .bat and dont flash the data partition. But that might not work with an update this big, who knows.