Homebrew installed a9lh and 3ds doesn't turn on anymore

PudimEXTREMI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Long Version: My friend lend me his "not working" 3ds to see if i could fix and hack it, about not working, when his sd card was inserted the blue light just flashed and de 3ds turned off imediatly, this also happened if the 3ds didn't have a sd card altogether, but if i inserted just the sd adapter the blue light stood on but nothing happened, just black screen, the strange thing is, when i put MY sd card (the one i used to hack my 3ds, with all the files, games, etc) it worked fine. One small problem: My friend had already downgraded the 3ds when he tried to hack it (that's when it stopped working), so i couldn't get the nand backup. Other than that i followed the 3ds.guide tutorial from the downgrade point on step-by-step.
everything worked fine until the a9lh installation, when i pressed select to full install it said i didn't have the otp.bin file, so i used otphelper to get it (i switched the arm9.bin and arm11.bin files from the tutorial for the ones that come in the otp helper .zip for that, but after i got the file i switched back), then i tried again and when i pressed select everything went fine, it said the green sucess message and i pressed a button to turn off the console, but when i try to turn it on, no matter how (with/without sd/adapter, holding L/R, etc), now the blue light just stays lit forever and the console stays in a black screen.

Short Version: This happened after a9lh instalation: it said that the instalation was sucessful but when i try to turn the console on the blue light stays lit but the screen stays black. I don't have the nand backup and i used otp helper to get the otp.bin file (i did this while i was in 1.2.0).

Don't know i this helps in anything but i have another 3ds with luma, a9lh, etc and a 11.2.0-something U nand backup, but the problematic one is european.

Apreciate any help and sorry for any grammar errors.

Last edited by PudimEXTREMI,

Dionicio3

goat
Trophies
Website
dionicio3.com
XP
Country
United States
Long Version: My friend lend me his "not working" 3ds to see if i could fix and hack it, about not working, when his sd card was inserted the blie light just flashed and de 3ds turned off imediatly, this also happened if the 3ds didn't have a sd card altogether, but if i inserted just the sd adapter the blue light stood on but nothing happened, just black screen, the strange thing is, when i put MY sd card (the one i used to hack my 3ds, with all the files, games, etc) it worked fine. One small problem: My friend had already downgraded the 3ds when he tried to hack it (that's when it stopped working), so i couldn't get the nand backup. Other than that i followed the 3ds.guide tutorial from the downgrade point on step-by-step.
everything worked fine until the a9lh installation, when i pressed select to full install it said i didn't have the otp.bin file, so i used otphelper to get it (i switched the arm9.bin and arm11.bin files from the tutorial for the ones that come in the otp helper .zip for that, but after i got the file i switched back), then i tried again and when i pressed delect everything went fine, it said the green sucess message and i pressed a button to turn off the console, but when i try to turn it, no matter how (with/without sd/adapter, holding L/R, etc) on now the blue light just stays lit forever and the console stays in a black screen.

Short Version: This happened after a9lh instalation: it said that the instalation was sucessful but when i try to turn the console on the blue light stays lit but the screen stays black. I don't have the nand backup and i used otp helper to get the otp.bin file (i did this while i was in 1.2.0).

Don't know i this helps in anything but i have another 3ds with luma, a9lh, etc and a 11.2.0-something U nand backup, but the problematic one is european.

What is on the SD card?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Long Version: My friend lend me his "not working" 3ds to see if i could fix and hack it, about not working, when his sd card was inserted the blie light just flashed and de 3ds turned off imediatly, this also happened if the 3ds didn't have a sd card altogether, but if i inserted just the sd adapter the blue light stood on but nothing happened, just black screen, the strange thing is, when i put MY sd card (the one i used to hack my 3ds, with all the files, games, etc) it worked fine. One small problem: My friend had already downgraded the 3ds when he tried to hack it (that's when it stopped working), so i couldn't get the nand backup. Other than that i followed the 3ds.guide tutorial from the downgrade point on step-by-step.
everything worked fine until the a9lh installation, when i pressed select to full install it said i didn't have the otp.bin file, so i used otphelper to get it (i switched the arm9.bin and arm11.bin files from the tutorial for the ones that come in the otp helper .zip for that, but after i got the file i switched back), then i tried again and when i pressed delect everything went fine, it said the green sucess message and i pressed a button to turn off the console, but when i try to turn it, no matter how (with/without sd/adapter, holding L/R, etc) on now the blue light just stays lit forever and the console stays in a black screen.

It sounds like your friend's console already had a9lh installed (turning on when arm9loaderhax.bin was in the SD card and not when it wasn't). You may have bricked it when you installed it a second time over the existing installation. But I'm not sure. Try different SD cards with arm9loaderhax.bin on them in case the one you are trying is corrupted.

Also, you can't restore a NAND backup from a different console (that's definitely a brick).

Reactions: Dionicio3

Pyra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

https://3ds.guide/troubleshooting

Have you looked at this yet?

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
No, I NEED to see what files
I don't see how that will help you. If arm9loaderhax.bin is on his card then either the installation was successful and the card is corrupted.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Why didn't you backup?
Did you read the post? His friend's console was already on 2.1. It was too late.

Reactions: Pyra

PudimEXTREMI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
No, I NEED to see what files
folders:
3ds
a9lh
cias
CTRTransfer
DCIM
files9
hblauncherloader
luma
nintendo 3DS

Files:
arm9.bin
arm9loaderhax.bin
arm11.bin
boot.3dsx
otherapps.bin
OTPHelper.log
SafeA9LHInstaller.dat
safehaxpayload.bin
screenshots_raw.bin
soundhax-eur-o3ds.m4a

What i did was erase all files from my sd card except the .bin files that where in the root of the sd, because it wouldn't turn on without something that was in there, it ended up being one/some of the .bin files in the root so i kept the in

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you used an outdated program to install a9lh, otphelper. You instaleld a9lh twice and the 3ds likely bricked because of it.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
folders:
3ds
a9lh
cias
CTRTransfer
DCIM
files9
hblauncherloader
luma
nintendo 3DS

Files:
arm9.bin
arm9loaderhax.bin
arm11.bin
boot.3dsx
otherapps.bin
OTPHelper.log
SafeA9LHInstaller.dat
safehaxpayload.bin
screenshots_raw.bin
soundhax-eur-o3ds.m4a

What i did was erase all files from my sd card except the .bin files that where in the root of the sd, because it wouldn't turn on without something that was in there, it ended up being one/some of the .bin files in the root so i kept the in
it doesn't boot without arm9loaderhax.bin

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Because when my friend gave the 3ds to me it was already downgraded so i couldn't make a backup.
I said it in the post .-.
if they followed 3ds.guide, it makes a mandatory backup.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
you used an outdated program to install a9lh, otphelper. You instaleld a9lh twice and the 3ds likely bricked because of it.
I already said this. What we need is a confirmation of what happens if you use otphelper to install a9lh over an existing installation.
Sorry for the tag, I can't find any documentation. Can you help us @d0k3?

PudimEXTREMI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Well aparently for what my friend remembers he never actually did install a9lh, when he tried a red message apeared but he doeasn't remember what it said, he kept trying and eventualy it stopped turning on. So he probably never did install a9lh.
I'll try booting it up with another sd card tomorrow to see if it works

Reactions: Enovale

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well aparently for what my friend remembers he never actually did install a9lh, when he tried a red message apeared but he doeasn't remember what it said, he kept trying and eventualy it stopped turning on. So he probably never did install a9lh.
The fact that it turned on when you put your SD card is shows that he did. He just forgot to put arm9loaderhax.bin on his SD card after the installation

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the 3ds booted up, the led flashed blue, and it shut off, a9lh was successfully installed.

EDIT: Goddammit quantumcat stop ninja'ing me

Reactions: Quantumcat

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Long Version: My friend lend me his "not working" 3ds to see if i could fix and hack it, about not working, when his sd card was inserted the blue light just flashed and de 3ds turned off imediatly, this also happened if the 3ds didn't have a sd card altogether, but if i inserted just the sd adapter the blue light stood on but nothing happened, just black screen, the strange thing is, when i put MY sd card (the one i used to hack my 3ds, with all the files, games, etc) it worked fine. One small problem: My friend had already downgraded the 3ds when he tried to hack it (that's when it stopped working), so i couldn't get the nand backup. Other than that i followed the 3ds.guide tutorial from the downgrade point on step-by-step.
everything worked fine until the a9lh installation, when i pressed select to full install it said i didn't have the otp.bin file, so i used otphelper to get it (i switched the arm9.bin and arm11.bin files from the tutorial for the ones that come in the otp helper .zip for that, but after i got the file i switched back), then i tried again and when i pressed select everything went fine, it said the green sucess message and i pressed a button to turn off the console, but when i try to turn it on, no matter how (with/without sd/adapter, holding L/R, etc), now the blue light just stays lit forever and the console stays in a black screen.

Goddammit. You / your friend (1) didn't use the guide (at least not from the beginning), (2) have no backup and (3) apparently like to use deprecated tools (some of these caused by each other). You even managed to use an outdated version of SafeA9lhInstaller for the second install, which surprises me as you started using the guide at this point. What you got here is very near the worst case scenario. You also actually made it worse, cause when you got the console it still was in a perfectly saveable state, now I'm not so sure anymore -_-. Okay, what to do about this mess...

I already said this. What we need is a confirmation of what happens if you use otphelper to install a9lh over an existing installation.
Sorry for the tag, I can't find any documentation. Can you help us @d0k3?
With all that happened to that 3DS so far (old tools and stuff), it is not in a defined state. If it were just two proper A9LH installs, no problem. That would still lead to a working A9LH installation. I fear there is something else wrong with this, though.

When you get a new SD card, try putting the arm9loaderhax.bin from GodMode9 on the root instead of Luma. Just in case it will boot to that (sometimes it won't boot to Luma right away but will boot to a payload).
Try this, @PudimEXTREMI. Empty SD card, only arm9loaderhax.bin on it. Get GodMode9 from here, rename the GodMode9.bin from the archive to arm9loaderhax.bin, put it on the SD card root. Try to boot with this SD card. If it doesn't, rename arm9loaderhax.bin to arm9loaderhax_si.bin, try again. If it still doesn't work, maybe try another SD card and repeat (try both names). Follow these instructions exactly. After you tried this, let us know if you had success.

EDIT: Also make sure you use a SD card that actually works. Maybe a known working one from another console or the one that came with this one? It has to be formatted as FAT32.

If nothing of that leads to GodMode9, you won't be able to save this console. In that case, it might be broken beyound repair, or it might be saveable via hours of work and a hardmod. You'd need to find someone who'd do that for you.

Last edited by d0k3,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.