Installation Order? Sigpatched sysNAND (CFW) and RedNAND

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by vgplayer54, Dec 13, 2016.

1. vgplayer54
    OP

vgplayer54 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Hello, I am currently attempting to use these recent exploits on my Wii U (Haven't really touched it since the Loadiine days) but I'm unsure of which order to install the various hacks as there are so many guides, many of which list these areas as incomplete. I just finished installing Haxchi and Homebrew AppStore, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Do I search for a guide to install Sigpatched sysNAND or RedNAND? ( I hear having both is ideal, just not sure which to install first and second).

2. SomeGamer

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Depends on what you'll do with your Wii U.

3. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the issues with the guides is that it's evolving quickly every day. you have to follow the progress daily to not be lost, until it's becoming more stable and "unique". currently, there are a lot of things which can do the same thing, and it tends to merge together little by little, so at the end there will probably be a single solution.

If you already have HaxChi installed, you did the first step for a permanent persistent hack. (it's not permanent, you can revert and uninstall it)
    You can now launch HBL quickly.
    I don't know which version of haxchi you installed, but if it's the last one (CBHC+Haxchi) it already comes with a signature patched mode, so you don't really need to add anything else.

did you install CBHC too ? do you want or need CBHC?
    CBHC is "Cold Boot HaxChi", it's a way to auto-boot haxchi channel at console boot, entering in a signature patched console right away without the need to "click" on haxchi icon yourself. It's REALLY just a step for lazy people, and it's safer to not install coldboot if you don't need it. I would recommend waiting again until all is becoming easier/safer. But if you want a coldboot option, use CBHC instead of the previous method of colboot (coldboothax, Phoenix's installer, etc. they work but could be misused and brick your console, while CBHC is designed with additional patches to speed coldbooting time).

the fourth different methods:
    Boot -> system menu -> manual launch of haxchi => homebrew or cfw, or anything setup using config.txt
    boot -> quick boot menu -> haxchi => same as above, loads way faster but "standby mode" is usually not recommended to prevent auto-update from nintendo.
    boot -> system.xml (coldboothax) -> haxchi => same as above, but dangerous (you could end in infinite reboot loop and/or brick your console)
    boot -> CBHC (replaces haxchi) => CFW patched sysNAND, or homebrew launcher (press A), or fw.img on SD, or Mocha on SD ! (you have a menu at install to choose what to boot, CBHC doesn't use config.txt)

if you don't use CBHC, you can launch a CFW loader (loading a fw.img file from SD) from the homebrew launcher or from Haxchi channel, which can be a simple signature patched firmware (but you already have that with haxchi+CBHC), or redNAND (if you compiled a redNAND fw.img), or Dimok sysNAND cfw (if you compiled it).

if you use CBHC, you need to install it AFTER you installed haxchi and made sure it works fine. (reboot, test, etc. !)
    CBHC will replace haxchi with a special haxchi version which does not use config.txt, instead it has hardcoded boot options : auto-re-patched sysNAND (repatch when exiting settings), homebrew launcher, fw.img or mocha.

fw.img for redNAND is not needed anymore since yesterday (dec 12th 2016).
    Dimok released Mocha CFW, which applies all the different and existing patches on the fly in RAM, instead of patching and generating different fw.img files that you have to keep on your SD card without remembering which does what... (confusing!)
    from Mocha (launched from HBL or from CBHC, or standalone haxchi) you select if you want to redirect NAND to SD.

RedNAND is not something you "install", it's a feature of the custom firmware. it's bad to make a different between "cfw and rednand", both are the same CFW, just with different features.
    you choose whether you want NAND access to be redirected or not when you launch Mocha.
    Mocha will always patch signature check, add IOSUhax nod to allow ftpiiu everywhere, wup server, etc. whether you choose to redirect NAND or not.

On first use of redNAND option, your SD card will be formated to add a copy of your NAND before the FAT32 partition. backup all your files first!
    But again, do you really need or want a NAND redirection? you need to know what it does, and why you will need it.
    if all you want is play games, you don't need NAND redirection. install your games on sysNAND or USB.
    if, on the contrary, you want to develop a homebrew or a hack, or mod your console (edit the menu themes, edit xml files to see what happens, etc.), then you WANT to use NAND+SEEPROM+OTP redirection option, or you'll brick your console. You'd better brick your NAND copy on SD (redNAND) than your real one (sysNAND).

Now, to answer your question "what to install after haxchi":
    1) best choice is CBHC if you want autoboot.
    - it has the fastest booting time into patched sysNAND.
    - it can auto-boot mocha (for users who want to auto-boot redNAND), but don't autoboot mocha if all you want is a patched sysNAND ! it will take a long time to boot while CBHC can do it faster without mocha.
    - just install the Homebrew launcher channel version and launch homebrew from here instead of using haxchi with config.txt to boot different homebrew at boot.

2) nothing else if you don't want autoboot.
    - launch haxchi channel manually to boot whatever you like (homebrew launcher, a fw.img, mocha, redNAND, etc.)
    - your console will be "clean" and non sigpatched at boot. you can enable signpatch and hacks manually by launching haxchi channel yourself, when you need it.
    - you don't need to install the homebrew launcher channel as you can boot it with haxchi channel (set a button to load HBL from SD card). You can install the homebrew launcher channel if you want but you will have to PATCH sysNAND first before launching it by loading haxchi (set a button to load simple signature patcher from SD).

4. vgplayer54
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Wow your post is amazing! Very thurough, should definitely be stickied! Thank you for all that information. Truth me told, I only have Haxchi at the moment, I heard CBHC was still quite unstable and didn't want to risk any bricking. I honestly don't mind having to launch Haxchi or CFW each time, it only takes a few seconds.

Also, I know RedNAND is esentially the Wii U home menu and everything else on the SD Card, similar to when the 3DS had EmuNAND. I believed that it was necessary to avoid bricking and mistakes since it's easy to backup and restore NAND saves. But is it possible (and safe) to use CFW on SysNAND instead? If that's possible, then sure I could do that rather than use RedNAND. My goal is to be able to play games from the SD Card (I have 128GB, no USB larger than 8 GB unfortunately), have some online play as well as have the option of using DLC and game Updates. Not sure where to go from the Haxchi installation to accomplish this since, as you said, everything is constantly changing.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Possible to use CFW on sysNAND?

That's actually what all this is about.
    simple signature patcher is a sysNAND CFW, mocha is a sysNAND CFW, fix94 and dimok's fw.img are sysNAND CFW, etc.
    every time you patch or reload a patched fw.img, it's a custom one. (or more true, a "patched" one, but users like to call it custom :P)

so, possible to use CFW on sysNAND : yes
    Safe : depends on the user's action. There are always risks. it's always better to use redNAND when you mess with your console.
    But you can do the same things on both sysNAND and redNAND. they both have the exact same patches (region free, signature check patch, etc.)

You want to play games from SD?
    I'm not sure to understand. the only way you can play games located on SD is by using Loadiine. and it doesn't require any CFW.
    but Loadiine doesn't support network. non legit DLC is possible on a non-official version.

If you want to play online, you will have to install games on NAND (sysNAND, redNAND) or WiiU USB HDD, using WUP installer.
    Using the SD card can be done with redNAND if you really don't want to use an USB drive.

launch CFW with redNAND option, and use WUP installer to install games on your NAND copy.
    the games will be on your SD card. you can install any games or DLC as redNAND has signature patch, and it will work online.
    I guess redNAND is more what you want.

Quantumcat and vgplayer54 like this.
  6. iAqua

iAqua GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    vgplayer54 likes this.
  7. vgplayer54
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    Cyan, iAqua, thank you both so much for the explanations. I will use the link provided by iAqua and attempt the creation of RedNAND with signature patches. Hopefully all goes well!

8. Kafluke

Kafluke GBAtemp Psycho!

May 6, 2006
    United States
    Awesome info @Cyan! I'm going to incorporate most of this into my guide if you're cool with it

9. m37r01d

m37r01d GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    thank you for this, deff need to readup, im still using loadliine

10. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    sure :)

that would be too bad if I wrote this and it get lost in this thread!
    it will be better in your guide than sticking that thread.

I edited it many times today, but I think it's all fine now. if you see any mistake, you can change and fix it. Oh, and let me know of any mistakes so I don't provide more bad info next time :P

Quantumcat and RahFah like this.
  11. vgplayer54
    OP

Feb 4, 2010
    Canada
    I was following iAqua's guide here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-setup-cfw-w-haxchi-and-coldboothax.446818/ and went as far as installing the actual RedNAND. As stated earlier in the thread, I already have successfully installed Haxchi to my home menu which linked directly to my Homebrew Launcher. I then installed Mocha CFW from the Homebrew Appstore as per the guide, ran it, turned on "RedNAND" (could not find autoboot option although the guide mentions it) and pressed install. It then formatted my SD Card, and afterwards brought me to my home menu (RedNAND? Don't know how to tell the difference yet). After this however, I placed all files back onto my SD Card, and now I am unable to access the homebrew launcher from Haxchi. The screen freezes on a black screen with the number "-3" in the top right corner...anything I can do to fix this?

Edit: When I try loading Homebrew Launcher via web exploit, I get the message "FSMountSource Failed"

Last edited by vgplayer54, Dec 14, 2016
  12. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    -3 and -4 are SD card detection/mount issue.
    and you have the same error from web exploit : File system Mount failed.

check your SD card. maybe reboot the console, maybe run chkdsk, maybe just eject+reinsert the card, etc.
    sometime it's just a little fix (eject or reboot).

To know if you are on Redirected NAND or not, move some channels and reboot.
    if they are still moved after reboot, you were on sysNAND. if not, run redNAND again and you will know you are on redNAND if you see them moved away. You can create a folder called "red" maybe? that way it will be easy to detect which NAND you are using.

13. Angelita Perez

Angelita Perez GBAtemp Regular

Nov 15, 2013
    United States
    God! even "I" understood all that!
    scary good!

14. INobody

INobody Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 31, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Make sure u did not grab the .rpx version of the HBL. I did and it took me 40min to figure it out