PS1/2 Install Windows Xp/Vista/7 via ubuntu via ps3?

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Yup its called virtual pc's
tongue.gif

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Playstation 3 runs off of a Power PC architecture, which Windows is not natively coded for (Windows runs on an x86 architecture). Because of this, the only operating systems you can natively run on a PS3 are those coded specficially for the Power PC. This limits you to a few different Linux distributions, and Mac OS X, it it weren't for Apple locking it to their hardware. If you want to run Windows on your PS3, then you've got to run it inside of a Virtual Machine on a linux operating system. This is very processor intensive, as the Virtual Machine has to take every x86 instruction and translate it into a Power PC instruction. The end result, as seen in the video, is a very, very slow edition of Windows which isn't worth running.

So the short Answer? No, Windows XP/Vista/7 does not run on a PS3.

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
And neither is the Linux edition of the PS3 worth running too IMO (based on what I hear).
No, I'm not saying Linux is bad (I love Linux, I have it as a dual-boot on all my PCs), but Sony limited access to the RSX(graphics chip) of the PS3, in short, imagine using Windows without your graphics driver installed.

kikuchiyo

大阪に生まれた男
Trophies
Website
coin-battle.com
XP
Country
United States
Extreme Coder said:
And neither is the Linux edition of the PS3 worth running too IMO (based on what I hear).
No, I'm not saying Linux is bad (I love Linux, I have it as a dual-boot on all my PCs), but Sony limited access to the RSX(graphics chip) of the PS3, in short, imagine using Windows without your graphics driver installed.

I'm seriously considering buying the SEGA limited edition Yakuza 3 PS3 in Feb., so I've been doing research about this and I think that the PS3 only restricts linux from using it's 3D graphics chip. 2D should be the same as always. If anything is going to bottle neck Linux on the PS3 it's the low amount of RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Apply snorgle to pinfor.