Install Q: necessary to d/c the ribbon cable?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Hanafuda, Jun 15, 2007.

Jun 15, 2007
  1. Hanafuda
    OP

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    My wiinja deluxe arrive din the mail today so I'll be doin' the job sometime this weekend. i've reviewed a few tutorials and they show the data ribbon cable that runs from the dvd drive to the mainboard being disconnected by lifting the brown latch and pulling the cable. My eyeball-guesstimate in looking at a couple of photos is that this probably isn't necessary ... can you still get to the work area without fuggerring with the data cable? It does look like its necessary to pull the power connector, but that's power not data so I'm not so butt-puckered about that one, besides its a socket connection.

2. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    I got my Chiip install done fine without removing the ribbon cable, so yeah, it's not neccessairy to remove.

3. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    I installed 2 pic-based wiifrees w/o removing the cable since I mounted them in the GC memory card slots. For the internal mounts, I placed the chip under the ribbon cable, so I had to remove it then.

4. rrburkha

Newcomer rrburkha Member

United States
    its not necessary but i dont know why you wouldn't. it gives you more space to work with when the dvd drive is not connected to the rest of the system and i think you would be more likely to damage the ribbon cable by twisting it or something while doing the install.