Install Japanese Nintendo Channel on USA Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by hgexe, Sep 6, 2009.

Sep 6, 2009
  1. hgexe
    OP

Newcomer hgexe Member

Singapore
    Hi

I was wondering, is there a way for me to install the NTSC-J version of the Nintendo Channel on my US region Wii?

If possible, can I allow my Wii to have both the NTSC-U and NTSC-J nintendo channel installed at the same time?

Thanks

2. niceguychris

Newcomer niceguychris Member

United Kingdom
    don't hold me to this, but in theory you should be able to just install the channel (as long as you have the WAD), if the US/E/JAP versions of the channel have the same title ID then you will only be able to install one at a time.
    The only other thing that could stop you if is Nintendo block IP's by region thus, restircting the channel actually loading the content (can't see them doing that though).

again i could be wrong about the above but thats just my 2 pennies worth...

only way would be to try it (just make sure you have a nand backup first - but that should go without saying :-) )

3. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    Get the WAD, patch it using free_the_wads, install it and try. There's not really much that can happen.

4. Antics

Newcomer Antics Member

United States
    I've always wondered about taking the Japan food service channel, 'freeing' it, and installing on my NTSC-U. [​IMG]

Why not just install the correct version for your Wii and leave it at that?
    Unless you can read Japanese, I don't really see the point. o.o

5. hgexe
    OP

Newcomer hgexe Member

Singapore
    Main reason, I want to have access to all the trailers and DS demo from both regions

6. Ethanx94

Member Ethanx94 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Most of the time people do this is because the other version may have more or different content than the version that they have.
    Like Japanese DS Demos or Japanese Trailers.

7. Antics

Newcomer Antics Member

United States
    Be my guest then.
    Only issues I could see are as Chris said, Nintendo may block access based on IP address (unlikely), the videos may have issues playing due to TV type difference (also unlikely), and/or your DS, since I'm assuming is also NTSC-U may not load the demos since they would be NTSC-J.

Just my 2 cents [​IMG]

Make sure you have some form of brick protection installed prior to your experiment.

8. Antics

Newcomer Antics Member

United States
    -Double post x.x

9. urherenow

Member urherenow GBAtemp Addict

United States
    You cannot have both at the same time. The shop is more of a web link, I think and where it goes depends on the region setting of the shop channel. I use the Japanese shop channel myself (I have to for my Japanese Karaoke game to work via some lame subscription thing to stream new songs and such)

I didn't even 'install' the channel either. I changed the region for the shop channel using AnyRegionChanger and I'm pretty sure I had to format my Wii and maybe run the system update. Basically any legitimate Wiiware and such that you have purchased will be gone and you won't be able to download it again (as if you've already purchaced it) once you change to the Japanese channel.

@Antics NTSC is NTSC. There will never be a problem with video between the US and Japan. The only thing that is affected is Region Locked Movies and such (your player will refuse to play it)

The Weather channel is a downloadable channel. The Shop channel is built in to the system menu as far as I know.

10. Covarr

Member Covarr Sentient Cash Register

United States
    DS games, demos, and the like are region free. The only things that can be region locked are things such as save files and multiplayer, and even those only require a specific region game, they don't care about the region of the machine. Games and demos are region free.

(Keep in mind that the DSi actually IS region locked, I don't know if they're distributing DSi demos on the Nintendo channel though).

11. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    There would be no problems with the DS playing the demos, my USA DS plays demos from my PAL Wii and Nintendo Channel no problem (bought the DS on holiday cause it was MUCH cheaper.)

12. urherenow

United States
    ok... now WHY are we talking about a DS now? This is the Wii hacking forum.

13. antonkan

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I just got the Japanese version of Nintendo Channel from the Japanese Wii Shop Channel. It works fine with the USA Wii. So you need AnyRegionChanger to change the Wii Shop region to Japan (country code number 1) to get the Japanese version of Nintendo Channel. (Before that, you'll need to delete the Wii Shop account.)

14. urherenow

United States
    [​IMG]
    Wait... is the Nintendo channel something different? Like another channel you download from the shop channel and install? I never actually use the shop channel now so I had no idea! Like I said though, with my Japanese Karaoke game I HAD to have the Japanese shop channel for the game to use Japanese points to purchase a subscription. The Nintendo Channel might require a matching shop channel as well. Please let us know your results when you are done playing with trying to get both working [​IMG]

Actually threads get pushed back pretty far pretty quick so I would really appreciate if you could PM me with your results.

15. hgexe
    OP

Newcomer hgexe Member

Singapore
    According to WiiBrew, latest shop channel prevent the region changer from working...

When I try to connect after changing my region to Japan (1), I keep getting an error code... Any idea what's the problem?

16. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    I changed my shop channel to JPN on a PAL Wii doing the following:

1. Erase your shop account(option to do so is located inside the shop channel- Wii serial no is needed)
    2. Start AnyRegion Changer(ARC) and set the shop channel region to 1=JPN, mark the EULA as read
    3. Save settings and exit ARC
    4. Back on Wii menu start your shop channel and voila its JPN.

Erasing your shop channel will delete all bought stuff so make sure you want to do this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can add your CC in the JPN channel and buy Wii points easy(they are much cheaper than here in Europe^^)