hgexe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi

I was wondering, is there a way for me to install the NTSC-J version of the Nintendo Channel on my US region Wii?

If possible, can I allow my Wii to have both the NTSC-U and NTSC-J nintendo channel installed at the same time?

Thanks

niceguychris

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
cbbarker.blogspot.com
XP
Country
don't hold me to this, but in theory you should be able to just install the channel (as long as you have the WAD), if the US/E/JAP versions of the channel have the same title ID then you will only be able to install one at a time.
The only other thing that could stop you if is Nintendo block IP's by region thus, restircting the channel actually loading the content (can't see them doing that though).

again i could be wrong about the above but thats just my 2 pennies worth...

only way would be to try it (just make sure you have a nand backup first - but that should go without saying :-) )

Antics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've always wondered about taking the Japan food service channel, 'freeing' it, and installing on my NTSC-U.
nyanya.gif

Why not just install the correct version for your Wii and leave it at that?
Unless you can read Japanese, I don't really see the point. o.o

Deleted member 94204

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Antics said:
I've always wondered about taking the Japan food service channel, 'freeing' it, and installing on my NTSC-U.
nyanya.gif

I wonder if they would fly over from Japan to deliver it.

@topic Yes it should work, just get the wad and region free (as they've said above me), or use a preloader hack to enable region free. Duplicate channels of different regions are okay as far as I know because I've seen some youtube videos of people with 2 weather channels.

QUOTE(Antics @ Sep 6 2009, 11:11 AM) Why not just install the correct version for your Wii though? Its not like you have to find a wad for the Nintendo Channel, just install it from the shop.

Most of the time people do this is because the other version may have more or different content than the version that they have.
Like Japanese DS Demos or Japanese Trailers.

Antics

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be my guest then.
Only issues I could see are as Chris said, Nintendo may block access based on IP address (unlikely), the videos may have issues playing due to TV type difference (also unlikely), and/or your DS, since I'm assuming is also NTSC-U may not load the demos since they would be NTSC-J.

Just my 2 cents
tongue.gif

Make sure you have some form of brick protection installed prior to your experiment.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot have both at the same time. The shop is more of a web link, I think and where it goes depends on the region setting of the shop channel. I use the Japanese shop channel myself (I have to for my Japanese Karaoke game to work via some lame subscription thing to stream new songs and such)

I didn't even 'install' the channel either. I changed the region for the shop channel using AnyRegionChanger and I'm pretty sure I had to format my Wii and maybe run the system update. Basically any legitimate Wiiware and such that you have purchased will be gone and you won't be able to download it again (as if you've already purchaced it) once you change to the Japanese channel.

@Antics NTSC is NTSC. There will never be a problem with video between the US and Japan. The only thing that is affected is Region Locked Movies and such (your player will refuse to play it)

The Weather channel is a downloadable channel. The Shop channel is built in to the system menu as far as I know.

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Antics said:
the videos may have issues playing due to TV type difference (also unlikely)
Japan and US are both NTSC. There won't be any video issues. Trying to run the Japanese channel on a European Wii would be a different matter, but it could most likely still be made to work.

QUOTE(Antics @ Sep 6 2009, 09:19 AM) your DS, since I'm assuming is also NTSC-U may not load the demos since they would be NTSC-J.
DS games, demos, and the like are region free. The only things that can be region locked are things such as save files and multiplayer, and even those only require a specific region game, they don't care about the region of the machine. Games and demos are region free.

(Keep in mind that the DSi actually IS region locked, I don't know if they're distributing DSi demos on the Nintendo channel though).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There would be no problems with the DS playing the demos, my USA DS plays demos from my PAL Wii and Nintendo Channel no problem (bought the DS on holiday cause it was MUCH cheaper.)

antonkan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I just got the Japanese version of Nintendo Channel from the Japanese Wii Shop Channel. It works fine with the USA Wii. So you need AnyRegionChanger to change the Wii Shop region to Japan (country code number 1) to get the Japanese version of Nintendo Channel. (Before that, you'll need to delete the Wii Shop account.)

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blink.gif

Wait... is the Nintendo channel something different? Like another channel you download from the shop channel and install? I never actually use the shop channel now so I had no idea! Like I said though, with my Japanese Karaoke game I HAD to have the Japanese shop channel for the game to use Japanese points to purchase a subscription. The Nintendo Channel might require a matching shop channel as well. Please let us know your results when you are done playing with trying to get both working
tongue.gif

Actually threads get pushed back pretty far pretty quick so I would really appreciate if you could PM me with your results.

hgexe

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
According to WiiBrew, latest shop channel prevent the region changer from working...

When I try to connect after changing my region to Japan (1), I keep getting an error code... Any idea what's the problem?

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
I changed my shop channel to JPN on a PAL Wii doing the following:

1. Erase your shop account(option to do so is located inside the shop channel- Wii serial no is needed)
2. Start AnyRegion Changer(ARC) and set the shop channel region to 1=JPN, mark the EULA as read
3. Save settings and exit ARC
4. Back on Wii menu start your shop channel and voila its JPN.

Erasing your shop channel will delete all bought stuff so make sure you want to do this.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you can add your CC in the JPN channel and buy Wii points easy(they are much cheaper than here in Europe^^)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: well then show them how to scratch it (this is a verbalase joke)