Install Games On 3DS (just what I think would make it perfect)

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Aijelsop, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    If you could install a game, like a real official DS/DSi cartridge game. You install it so you never have to take the game out again, only you HAVE to have the official cartridge so no ROMs can be downloaded and installed. Also, the games can only be installed once, but the saves can be updated from the cartridge and the 3DS.

Or they wipe the cartridge so you can't play on both and put the data on the 3DS. Then if you want your cartridge back, put the "blank" one back in and install the save again (removing it from the 3DS memory)

IDK, like my idea?

2. pachura

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Only installable games will be downloadable 3DSiWare, not the off-the-shelf ones.

3. xakota

Member xakota GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's possible. Doesn't XBOX 360 do this? You can put games onto the HDD so they load faster but you have to have the disk in to play them.

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    For the 3DS, that wouldn't really give you an advantage. Presumably, the speeds of the ROMs in the cartridges are at least as fast as the flash memory of the 3DS and SD cards. The benefit would lie in playing the games without inserting the cartridge, but that isn't really possible without encouraging piracy.

5. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    The xbox 360 and ps3 both have this feature

6. Aijelsop
    OP

Newcomer Aijelsop Question Asker

United States
    Oh that's kinda cool. I wish I could do that on my Wii. Oh I can. [​IMG] USBLoaders FTW.

7. silentdoh

Newcomer silentdoh Newbie

United States
    I thought Nintendo had already confirmed that you could back up and play your games, seeing as it looks like they're trying to fulfill at least most of the reasons people use flashcarts in the first place on the DS

8. pachura

I don't think so.

Apart from that, 3DS game carts are 2-8 Gb in size, and you get only 2 Gb SD card with your 3DS. How would you store a 8 Gb game on a 2 Gb flash card ?

9. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    If the 3DS supports SDXC, the cards can go easily around 2TB. That'd be about enough for the whole DS generation of games. Thus the 2-8gb games would be nothing in comparison. Otherwise the 32gb MicroSD would help most gamers if this option was available..

-Qtis

10. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I think it would be cool if with 3DS points or exact dollar value if you could buy like 5 copies for $20 or something. Then you put the game in, and it just straight up copy the game to the 3DS.

Imagine if it would erase the game from the cart. People would sell the empty carts, or copy back the wrong game to a different cartridge. It would just be a mess.

11. pachura

It would be pretty difficult to explain to customers that they need to buy an additional SDXC card in order to install games > 2 Gb...

12. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    it would be a mess but so would it be if someone made fake versions of ds games
    all they need is the plastic part to make a mold and copy the sticker and sell tons at cheap prices
    this would just be easier
    i think though that instead of emptying the cart, it would remove it from your system if it was detected that it was installed on another
    save files still intact though
    and u would need the internet to validate these games each time
    and for multiplayer games, they could have 2 licences on a cart for local multi play

13. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    DS carts are 98% ROM, 2% RAWM (i made that up, i forget what it's really called).
    The game itself is on ROM which means it's not erasable, editable, etc.
    The save for your game is on the RAWM, which can be written to, and read obviously.

On your idea as a whole: I doubt it.

14. awssk8er

Member awssk8er GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I think my idea is the only idea that could possibly work.

I don't see it happening, but it could because they would be making more money on games already sold and it wouldn't cause a complete mess.

I'm not sure if it is possible to dump the game from the cart into the 3DS's internal memory though.

15. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    If I were Nintendo adding this sort of option, I would have it so that each game would have to be registered to you account to be allowed to install the game, only allow to install on one 3DS, during the install, contact the Nintendo servers to check that that cart is registered to that account. Once that is done, periodically check that the user still owns that cart by refusing to run the backup after a couple of weeks or a month, unless that cart is inserted and checked against the server. If a different user tries to install on their system, have the original user contacted, if no contact is made with x amount of time, transfer the licence to the new user.

16. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    good idea but it would be better if it had a licence and when it was installed on one account, it could not be installed on another account or system without being removed from the old account and system. If the cart was sold without first removing it from the old account and 3ds and it was reported to nintendo with sufficient proof, they would forcivly remove it assuming that the wireless button does not turn off update function