Install games on 128 gb sd instead of usb or nand?

Goos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I bought a 128gb sd card because i thought i would be able to install my stuff there instead nand or usb storage, but there's no option in wup installer, so i picked nand and now it's dang near full.
Is there anything I can do for that? Can I buy a usb reader for my SD card and put it in my wiiu?

Goos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, just buy an SD card adapter for your Wii U. No need for expensive ones any USB 2.0 speed will do.

Should I buy this cheap one for only $5 bucks? Or should i get one from a brand, thats maybe more reliable?

Attachments

• 550x402.jpg
    550x402.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 189

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Supposedly the Wii U really wears out flash drives as it's constantly writing to it while in standby mode. Not sure if that's true.
Well Nintendo have said this themselves especially when BOTW came out. They made an announcement for people to only play the game using an HDD as the game constantly writes to storage.

An HDD is designed to be constantly written to and read from whereas an SD card/Mem Stick is designed to be constantly read from but only occasionally written to. Using a SD card/Mem stick on the WiiU will drastically reduce the SD/memsticks lifespan.

depaul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks.
I've been using SD card as the main storage for years without issues. Maybe flash durability has improved since Wii U earlier days..

Last edited by depaul,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well Nintendo have said this themselves especially when BOTW came out. They made an announcement for people to only play the game using an HDD as the game constantly writes to storage.

An HDD is designed to be constantly written to and read from whereas an SD card/Mem Stick is designed to be constantly read from but only occasionally written to. Using a SD card/Mem stick on the WiiU will drastically reduce the SD/memsticks lifespan.
True, but there is no reason for it to write to storage while in standby mode. Maybe the person who said that was just confusing the announcement Nintendo made. Their suggestion was to unplug the flash drive when the console is not in use. That won't help wear during use though.

Reactions: AmandaRose

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
True, but there is no reason for it to write to storage while in standby mode. Maybe the person who said that was just confusing the announcement Nintendo made. Their suggestion was to unplug the flash drive when the console is not in use. That won't help wear during use though.
Yep true in standby mode nothing will happen. But using sd/mem stick for playing games on the WiiU really ain't a good idea at all in my opinion.

Reactions: depaul

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's cheap enough it might still be worth it even with the extra wear and tear discussed ITT. Just be aware that if the SD dies, you could lose whatever saves were on it as well. In theory you should still be able to copy your saves to a different drive if it goes past its write limits, but this would depend on whether the Wii U fails transfers if it can't set the erased bits on the original files (which is probably the case to prevent locked-save duplication).

I've used an SD for the past few years without a problem, but I have standby mode disabled and I honestly don't use it a whole lot. I don't know if the extra writes are as bad during normal use, but probably. I'm just not too concerned about losing my saves so it's not a big deal to me either way.

tl;dr: HDDs are obviously preferred, but make a judgment call.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never underestimate any OS's tendency to thrash your storage devices for unknown and sometimes baffling reasons. Just think about all the background processes that run on your phone. And if you use Windows you've probably seen the HDD light activating even when it's idle. It's just the way it goes. If it's on, it's probably being used.

Reactions: TatsuHun

Goos

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Okay now im using my SD card ( with everything, all apps, all gamecube games installed on it ) with a card reader and i get this message.

Can i put all my files in a folder, format the device and then put everything back in the folder? Or should i do something else? Whats the best advice.

Attachments

• 16330177225533894339032255871596.jpg
    16330177225533894339032255871596.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 115

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The spam robots have become self aware