Install game feature bricked my Seagate HDD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Comedor, Aug 13, 2011.

Aug 13, 2011
  1. Comedor
    OP

Member Comedor GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    I'm using USB Loader GX and Seagate 250GB (ST902504EXA101-RK), here's some background.

Last weekend I was installing some of my Wii games, and later that day I decided to play Kirby's Epic Yarn, but I had something else to do and left the game paused in the title screen for about two hours. By the time I came back I noticed that Wii took forever to load my save file, and as soon as I selected a stage the game froze on me... Rebooted Wii and played Samurai Warriors 3 for a while, everything was working great.

Then yesterday I decided to play Monster Hunter Tri, but for some reason Wii couldn't read my Seagate HDD. I was like, "what the fuck happened to this shit?" I live alone so I'm sure nothing happened in the meantime.

Plugged the HDD to PC and TRIED to format, veeeeery slow reading and Seagate software said the HDD wasn't working properly and I should send it to repair, a mess.

Can anyone please tell me what might have happened? Cause I'm about to buy a Seagate 500GB and I need to know how to operate the damn thing. Definitely not here for another seven months HDD.

Also, how should I turn my Wii off once it freezes? Unplug HDD before unplugging Wii AC Adaptor? Should I let HDD Sleep Mode activated or just let it run forever?

Thanks. T___T

2. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    as far as shutting down after a freeze, just hold the power button.

can't really tell you what might have happened with the HDD though. could have burned it out leaving it sit for so long...I'm sure it was probably spinning that whole time.

3. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    How old is the hard drive? Try doing a quick format with your operating system's formatting software and adding a single game to it. See if it works with the Wii. There might have been some other reason why your Wii was having issues reading it that time. I also cannot tell you how many USB hard drive problems I've seen fixed just by trying a different USB cord.

4. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    If the drive didn't spin down, it could have worn out already.

And just so you know, the MTBF of Seagate drives is about 2 months of normal usage, NOT straight.

5. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I've left my Seagate drives on pause while playing games for Many hours (like pausing it then getting a cell phone call and coming back the next day) and I haven't had any issues. It was probably just a defective drive or an old drive that decided to die.

6. Comedor
    OP

Brazil
    Hummm... I should mention that yesterday, as I was trying to make it work, I could the HDD beep. Why is that?

So I can't use an HDD for longer than two hours? What kind of mess is this? You don't play Monster Hunter Tri for less than five hours!

Dead at Seagate MTBF, I was planning to buy a new Seagate 500GB tomorrow...

7. ShadowFyre

Member ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well thats kind of scary. I have a two terrabyte Seadrive HDD. I use it for WiiFlow, haven't had any problems w/ that.

8. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    that's not scary, that's total bullshit

why would someone design a drive that fails after 2 month of normal operation and give 1 or more years warranty.

many people use similar drives for their movie/music collection
    that's a very similar usage pattern but somehow the drives don't die like flies

if this was your fault at all it was shock or overheating, not using it for >2h

btw the 8 (cheap consumer samsungs) drives in my pc are spinning ~10h per day
    most of them for years

simply send it in for replacement

9. Comedor
    OP

Brazil
    My waranty expired and I'm from Brazil, I can't send it to repair.

I just bought a Seagate 500GB, probably arriving today (Father's Day promo here in Brazil), this time I have one year of warranty.

What's recommended, should I let sleep mode on or off?

10. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    I'm not sure what you mean with "sleep mode"

But:
    -afaik cios requires fast responses and crashs eg if the drive take to long (eg due to spinning up first)
    -thus many cios try to prevent spindown
    -frequent spinups are bad for the drive (frequent like every 10 min) anyway
    -other power management feature might work better with cios (eg poweing down part of the electronics) as long as they dont cause to much delay
    -afaik they do not cause worse live expectancy too

11. Bumper

Newcomer Bumper Member

United Kingdom
    Hi

My advice would be to delete the partition or partitions if you have more than one then create a new one and then format it, turn off sleep mode.

If by chance the drive is caput and is only seven months old it will still be under warranty from Seagate themselves, to veriy this visit the following link and input the info required, all the info required will be on the drive it's self http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-us/...tion.jsp?form=0

Regards

12. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    The suspend mode on a harddisk is not to make it's life longer. It's to make the batteries last longer when the drive is used on a laptop.
    If they turn the harddisk motor off, they will reduce the harddisk power consumption seriously.
    It is a fact that harddisks aren't the same quality anymore as they used to be. They need to make them cheap, and they need bigger capacity, so a bigger
    data density.

Even a frozen wii should switch off if you press and hold the power button on the wii itself (not the one on your remote) for 4 - 5 seconds.

Somehow, I trust a cool harddisk more than one that heats up. The heating is caused by friction and badly designed electronics.
    Friction can never be good for something rotating 5000 - 7000 rpm. But that's my personal opinion. I don't design harddisks, so I could be wrong.

13. Comedor
    OP

Brazil
    As yall know I bought a 500GB last week and... it's bricked. LMFAO

This time I didn't try anything like install games, just had a small FAT32 partition (homebrew files), and the rest WBFS (games).

I experienced two freezes while playing Monster Hunter Tri, and I guess both were related to my USB keyboard, its cord is kinda damaged so if I move it the wrong way it stops working and I have to mess with it until it starts working again, that's when the game got buggy and froze. Funny. *orders cordless keyboard*

I restart my Wii, load USB Loader GX, and everything seems to be working, but as soon as I click on a boxart the application freezes.

Tried everything from formatting to recovery programs, no dice. Retailer is going to replace my unit in a few days, and I'm not using that cursed USB keyboard again.

Also, I'd like to know which one is the USB Port 1, could anyone please help me?

[​IMG]

14. bfoos

Member bfoos GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The port closest to the edge.

15. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Port 1 is the farthest from the edge, port 0 is the closest to the edge and the port you should use with your HDD.

16. bfoos

Member bfoos GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ah yes, I assumed he was wanting to know what port he should be using for his HDD. Thanks for the clarification.

17. Stewarter

Newcomer Stewarter Newbie

Russia
    I know it's not a very useful comment, but I recommend you to use Western Digital HDD.