Hacking Install both Newer and regular Super Mario Bros via WiiVC?

jrinco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all -- I was wondering if it's possible to have both Newer super mario bros *and* regular Super Mario Bros installed at the same time as a WiiVC (using the WiiVC tool)? I believe the issue is that both have the same Internal Game Title ID (SMNE) and if I have one installed, then install the other, it overwrites whatever was already installed. Any work around? (I'm installing this via a Wii U)

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all -- I was wondering if it's possible to have both Newer super mario bros *and* regular Super Mario Bros installed at the same time as a WiiVC (using the WiiVC tool)? I believe the issue is that both have the same Internal Game Title ID (SMNE) and if I have one installed, then install the other, it overwrites whatever was already installed. Any work around? (I'm installing this via a Wii U)
As long as the game/save ID's r different u sure can

Reactions: jeannotte

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would that specifically be the "pre-generated title id" or "internal game title id" or something else?
Newer already has different internal game title id from New Super Mario, so you can have a save for both games on your Wii/vWii. They would need to have different Wii U title IDs which are pre-generated by the tool.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe it was possible - pretty sure I did when I owned a Wii U. Most self-respecting Newer builds will have a diff internal ID than base NSMBWii.

jrinco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm, when I load Newer iso into WiiVC injector, it's the same ID as normal SMBW of SMNE/534D4E45 (even when I re-create the Newer ISO, I choose option 3 to create a separate game/save id, I still see it save as SMNE instead of KMN*, so maybe this is more an issue w/the newer ISO builder?)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The version of Newer I used has the same ID and that would make things tricky.
But you can change the game ID of a Wii ISO with relative ease.
Or find a version that has a different title ID or use the builder. But IIRC I did use the builder myself and it used the same title ID. Maybe there is a newer version of the builder I don't know about.

Reactions: jeannotte

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm, when I load Newer iso into WiiVC injector, it's the same ID as normal SMBW of SMNE/534D4E45 (even when I re-create the Newer ISO, I choose option 3 to create a separate game/save id, I still see it save as SMNE instead of KMN*, so maybe this is more an issue w/the newer ISO builder?)
The issue is the WiiVC tool isn't telling you all the information. NSMBW's title ID is SMNE01, whereas my Newer ISO (and probably yours) is SMNE03. You can check this by opening your Newer ISO in a hex editor and checking the first few lines. As long as they aren't identical your saves shouldn't overlap. Once you've got that sorted out you just need to ensure that the pre-generated title IDs are different which should happen by default.

jrinco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue is the WiiVC tool isn't telling you all the information. NSMBW's title ID is SMNE01, whereas my Newer ISO (and probably yours) is SMNE03. You can check this by opening your Newer ISO in a hex editor and checking the first few lines. As long as they aren't identical your saves shouldn't overlap. Once you've got that sorted out you just need to ensure that the pre-generated title IDs are different which should happen by default.

Ah you're right - at least, I see the wbfs is named as such (Newer is named "SMNE03.wbfs") - however, when I load either the newer ISO or the original ISO in wiivc injector, the Pre-Generated Game Title IDs are the same "00050002534D4E45". Can I just manually change the pre-generated game title id for one of them, or will that break something? (they _shouldn't_ be the same though, if I'm doing everything else right, no?)

Peninsula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah you're right - at least, I see the wbfs is named as such (Newer is named "SMNE03.wbfs") - however, when I load either the newer ISO or the original ISO in wiivc injector, the Pre-Generated Game Title IDs are the same "00050002534D4E45". Can I just manually change the pre-generated game title id for one of them, or will that break something? (they _shouldn't_ be the same though, if I'm doing everything else right, no?)
I assumed the the pre-generated Wii U title IDs were created randomly by the script, but it looks like it uses the first 4 characters of the Wii title ID as a seed, which makes sense to avoid Wii U title ID collisions for 99% of cases. Bottom line is: you should manually change the pre-generated game title ID for one of the 2 games. You just need to make sure your new title ID isn't the same as any of the titles installed on your system which you can find here: https://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database. Basically, if you change Newer to 00050002534D4E46 you should be fine.

Carnage

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I assumed the the pre-generated Wii U title IDs were created randomly by the script, but it looks like it uses the first 4 characters of the Wii title ID as a seed, which makes sense to avoid Wii U title ID collisions for 99% of cases. Bottom line is: you should manually change the pre-generated game title ID for one of the 2 games. You just need to make sure your new title ID isn't the same as any of the titles installed on your system which you can find here: https://wiiubrew.org/wiki/Title_database. Basically, if you change Newer to 00050002534D4E46 you should be fine.
I have Newer installed and working as 00050002534D4E47 a couple of years ago, I remember that there was an issue with the save file when finishing on 46, can't remember right now why (something about some bit masking) but anyway that ID has worked great for some years, I have completely finished Newer on the WiiU-VC a couple of times using that ID.

Reactions: Peninsula

jrinco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I realize it's been a while since I've followed up, but now I'm stuck on a new issue related to this! I stopped messing with this as my son moved onto playing Kirby games, but now we're trying to go back and play New and Newer.

I re-created the wiivc for newer using the "00050002534D4E47" title, and when I try to run it from the wiiu, everything seems like it's working... it loads the custom graphic, screen turns off, "Wii" screen appears (vwii is booted), but then it fades to black and I'm stuck at a black screen. I've deleted any game save info I can find on the wii and wii u related to newer or new, doesn't help. What else is strange is that while I do not see any game or game save data for either game, when I play New off the original disc, my saved game still appears (but how's that possible if I don't see it anywhere?)

Last edited by jrinco11,

jrinco11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I deleted everything (any Newer/New game saves and channels) and started over. Created a new wiivc build for New, it works great. Created a new wbfs for Newer following this guide/tool (using my wbfs for New, selected the option for new game saves for any flavor of Newer) and when I try playing it, it boots into vwii, wii shows up on the gamepad (just like for New), and then black screen indefinitely. I also tried 00050002534D4E48 as a game title as a shot in the dark. Any suggestions?

Update again: I just used this other Newer iso builder instead, https://horizon.miraheze.org/wiki/Newer_Mod_ISO_Builder, and now it works great -- I have both New and Newer running (and used 00050002534D4E47 as the title id in wiivc tool). Thanks so much everyone for your help!!

Last edited by jrinco11,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and ones like yuou
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so leave me alone and stop sending me pms
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    you started
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Im pretty certain most people here, Leo, don't believe much of what you say about your situations, if anything at all.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    you sent me pm and brought me up here
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    stupid motherfucker
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea...you don't want to hear the truth
    Yeah. After you litter the forum with your sob stories. Im calling you out.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    then mind your own business
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    otherwise fuck off
    Show us some proof. Lets see police reports, court documents, video and/or audio recordings, etc. etc.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I already did show part of it, you ridiculed me instead
    Like I said, people with criminal records tend to play the victim an awful lot. Thats all the more im going to say
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    in the wanted list thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    because you are an awful liar and narcissistic hypocrite
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    LEOtck? Who's he? Never 'erd of the las. :)
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I only show the mirror to people and you all can't stand what you're seeing
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    bunch of bullies
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye