install 1,15 & other beginner Questions

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by sparre, Jul 20, 2008.

Jul 20, 2008
  1. sparre
    OP

Newcomer sparre Newbie

United States
    Hey, if I upgrade to kernel 1,15, will all files on the card be deleted?
    (I am new to this so it might be a stupid Q.)

And...
    - What is softreset?
    - What is DMA?
    - Is it important to organize the menu in a certain way for better function?
    - Is it possible that downloaded roms can mess up the DS? (viruses etc)
    - If I remove a .nds file that have some saved data, can I put the saved data back on a new downloaded file ( new game from a different source)

Thank´s
    [​IMG]

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

no you dont need to remove them just choose to OVERWRITE the files in there when you copy them over [​IMG]

no downloaded roms should not cause a problem [​IMG]

yes you can transfer save files and use them again ...most people back them up regular to the computer for later use when you want to play the game again later on [​IMG]

3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    No (not unless you delete them). The new kernel will simply replace the old kernel, and all of the ROMs and saves should continue to work just fine.

What is softreset?

It lets you get back to the DSTT menu from a game by pressing a bunch of buttons at once. I don't recall which buttons specifically though, but look on ndstt.com for more information.

What is DMA?

Direct Memory Access. Use the default value for DMA for most games, but if you have a game that isn't running try switching the value of DMA and try it again.

Is it important to organize the menu in a certain way for better function?

I don't know what you mean, but you definitely need to put your ROMs and save files into a "games" folder and NOT at the root of your microSD card.

Is it possible that downloaded roms can mess up the DS? (viruses etc)

I think it's possible, but not very likely. You can use a program like Rominator to do a checksum of the ROM to make sure it's valid before you install it though.

If I remove a .nds file that have some saved data, can I put the saved data back on a new downloaded file ( new game from a different source)

If it's the same game, the ROMs should be identical and you should be able to use the same save. Sometimes if it's the same game but in two different languages, the save file may or may not work. You can always try it and see -- it shouldn't mess anything up (make a backup of the save file first though).

If you're talking about using the save file from one game with another game, no that won't work.

-Bri

4. twit21

Member twit21 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Bri answered pretty much everything else, but I'd like to add:

The Soft Reset button combination is A+B+X+Y+L+R. It only works with commercial ROMs, however, and not all of them at that (doesn't work with an unmodified Opera ROM). I have yet to run a homebrew that the DSTT Soft Reset function works with, but YMMV.