Inspirational characters

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Lali ho!

Been having a discussion with a few friends about inspirational characters, which inevitably started including video game characters. So I thought I'd open up the discussion here too. Curious what you all think. So here's the rules.

- Characters that originated in video games only. We all know Batman is awesome and Goku never gives up, keep it to game characters only this time though, we can do another topic for other media if this goes well or something.
- Explain WHY you consider them inspirational in some way. What about them made you think of things differently? Give an example of a lesson you've learned from them and how you implemented those lessons.

With that in mind, whose story touched you in some profound way and helped you deal with real world issues?

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Id say
Chell - went through all that crap at AS and made it. Plus she was very tastefully designed

Fox McCloud - be is a great leader who saves the world so many times

Sonic the hedgehog - in addition to hero work he practically raised tails

Aerith Gainsborough - her death was worse than that of biggie or tupac

Mario - he has done everything damn thing on earth

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Link, poor bastard saves the world and gets nothing for it.

Lesson here is IDK, don't expect something in return when you help someone?

The whole thing with Link bothers me most in Majora's Mask, because even if you transformed right in front of people they didn't acknowledge it, and thus any actions you took to save the people got attributed to the character of the mask you were currently wearing. So Link finally gets some recognition for doing good deeds...by getting praise in the guise of entirely different people. And hardly anyone actually thanks Link in his Hylian form. Starting to think the whole game was racist, to be honest.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The whole thing with Link bothers me most in Majora's Mask, because even if you transformed right in front of people they didn't acknowledge it, and thus any actions you took to save the people got attributed to the character of the mask you were currently wearing. So Link finally gets some recognition for doing good deeds...by getting praise in the guise of entirely different people. And hardly anyone actually thanks Link in his Hylian form. Starting to think the whole game was racist, to be honest.
Well doing good with no attention is a great virtue

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well doing good with no attention is a great virtue

It's not unreasonable to expect at least a thank you for something major. If you do nothing and expect praise for it, you're an entitled little turd. If you do everything but expect no praise, you have self esteem issues, or possibly a totally misplaced ideal of chivalry in a world that longer supports such things (like me). A healthy and normal person should be more or less in the middle.

RevPokemon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not unreasonable to expect at least a thank you for something major. If you do nothing and expect praise for it, you're an entitled little turd. If you do everything but expect no praise, you have self esteem issues, or possibly a totally misplaced ideal of chivalry in a world that longer supports such things (like me). A healthy and normal person should be more or less in the middle.
Absolutely but at the same time in this world we don't say thanks to big important things all the time nor do we respect those who overcome adversity many times which is part of the problem

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The character you play in PMD EoD/EoT/EoS, for this quote alone (and probably the only thing that says directly):

"Be brave! Be the bravest ever!"

You have to play the game to understand and I still cry evertim ;_;

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Samus Aran, especially if you read the comics (before it got to the Other M crap). She may have been reckless and stubborn, but no matter what crap was thrown at her, she'd throw it right back. She doesn't break any molds in character writing, but she's still strong and is backed up with some great games with some great gameplay.

Amaterasu. She's a god reincarnated. Even when people have lost their faith and have brought the worst upon themselves, she's still willing to fight for them.

Luigi, for being able to put up with Mario's crap. Also, he's incredibly brave. He's still willing to help and protect people despite being completely terrified to the point of constantly shaking.

Wind Waker Link. He wasn't some chosen child or built up by destiny in any way. He's just some kid that wants to save his sister, no matter what it takes.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Wind Waker Link. He wasn't some chosen child or built up by destiny in any way. He's just some kid that wants to save his sister, no matter what it takes.
siscon??

DooM guy: his cause is just his will is strong and his weapon is very very large. he just want to get rid of the demons that invaded marth, the moons and earth and be sure they never show up again going to inferno to kick their asses.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,

Blaze163

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think my wife's point about Shiki Misaki from The World Ends With You was a good one. She gives up her appearance as her entry fee for the game, but that works in her favour because she always wanted to be pretty and popular like Eri. But then over the course of the game she learns to be comfortable with who she really is and that she's actually valued for her skills instead of just some pet for the poplar kids. When she shows her true self it's quite inspiring, especially considering she managed to get Neku to open up as well. A lot of people suffer from her kind of self esteem issues, including my wife when we first met all those years ago. It's nice to see characters that overcome these issues. I guess by that logic you could include Cloud as well, although he turns into an emo whiny bitch-bag for Advent Children so I'm not sure if he counts.

Reactions: roastable

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I think my wife's point about Shiki Misaki from The World Ends With You was a good one. She gives
up her appearance as her entry fee for the game, but that works in her favour because she always wanted to be pretty and popular like Eri. But then over the course of the game she learns to be comfortable with who she really is and that she's actually valued for her skills instead of just some pet for the poplar kids. When she shows her true self it's quite inspiring, especially considering she managed to get Neku to open up as well. A lot of people suffer from her kind of self esteem issues, including my wife when we first met all those years ago.
It's nice to see characters that overcome these issues. I guess by that logic you could include Cloud as well, although he turns into an emo whiny bitch-bag for Advent Children so I'm not sure if he counts.
Maybe there are people who wanna play this gem. Please don't spoiler them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr