Insider rumors claim Google is looking to compete in the gaming industry

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jun 29, 2018.

1. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    whats the point of free online if your gonna pay for the game subscription itself? since all they do is game streaming you will have to pay for every game to stream lol.

2. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    The real facts behind this leak is that TES V: Skyrim Very Special Edition is coming to google home

3. Midori

Midori Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2018
    Japan
    I'm not seeing an OUYA in this. OUYA was a start-up company that presented itself with the idea of making game publishing accessible to everyone, hence they chose Android for their OS. It was a good concept honestly, just poorly executed. I think if they had better quality control of the titles in their store, and if they managed their money better, they could have had something. Google is in an entirely different position though. Google has the funds and the staff to make a capable gaming console.

I personally think as time goes by, and people become more accepting towards digital assets, the chances of game streaming being profitable will be more likely. Right now it's doubtful

Last edited by Midori, Jul 3, 2018
  4. chartube12

chartube12 Captain Chaz 86

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    Nah. It isn't they are not allowed to expand further. They just realized it's too late. 5G cellular data is the future. 5G is going to slowly kill off wired connections due to it's extremely low latency, wired may never reach it! There is highly good chance one of the next two xbox models (systems?) will have 5G built in, since Microsoft once to switch to cloud gaming. Won't be surprised it the xb gaming cloud also ends up on the next version of the swtich and Microsoft OS.

5. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Addict

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I am interested in this, not the streaming aspect of course that can generally be dismissed as a bad idea... input lag in bad locations wifi lag, lcd lag, it all adds up to a bad time.

However I will say this a company could in theory do game streaming this way, if the hardware is powerful enough to do all it's own rendering and running code and all the good stuff, but only download the levels like as needed... If a person never makes it level 5 in game X no need to download level 5 until they hit some point in level 4 that says "Hey looks like he might complete this level, start level 5 download"

That would be a form of streaming I could tolerate.

After that, if it's powerful like a Shield TV 2 I would for sure at least consider buying it.

6. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Sounds like a bunch of theorycraft. 4G is nowhere near good enough for a home internet connection, I don't expect 5G to be that much better. Nor do I expect any of the big ISPs to move away from wired since they already spent the money on infrastructure.

samljer likes this.
  7. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I'm inclined not to believe it. The sources might be right, but that would mean google is investigating it, that's all. They'll come to the same conclusions as in this thread, probably before even announcing anything.

8. samljer

samljer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Canada
    Streaming only pretty much guarantees it wont compete.
    But then again people seem to let google just get away with anything.

Kvnrdrguez likes this.
  9. Hi-Dro

Hi-Dro GBAtemp Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    If you think that's just what google do then um... well ....... you're very, wrong....... it isn't.
    Google is frantically trying to get his dirty mits into or buy out every technological industry on this earth, I wonder what a company with endless amounts of money and information is planning on doing with those resources ?
    Also interestingly enough the big heads at google don't even allow their children access to all the technology that we take for granted, they even send their kids to tech free schools Hmmm wonder why ?

Anywho this idea sounds absolutely terrible I'm not on board with this, personally I'm looking forward to Xbox's next console flop and eventual and inevitable end of microsoft in the console industry.
    If Nintendo and Sony are the only players in the market the competition between the 2 (old rivals) would create some stella games I guarantee it.

Kvnrdrguez likes this.
  10. Kvnrdrguez

Kvnrdrguez Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2016
    United States
    I honestly don't think this would be a very successful project if it came out, because not only would it cancel out all potential customers that don't have a good internet connection, its also paired with Google's tendency to quickly drop projects in a heartbeat.
    I wouldn't put too much hope in this, and neither should anybody else, imho.