Insider reports claim that New Super Mario Bros. U will be coming to the Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Aug 18, 2018.

1. jt_1258

jt_1258 Human?

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere
    ehh...I don't think there were even any nintendo games that had dlc
    though I believe guitar hero and rock band games are some of the few examples of games with dlc on the wii

2. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Indeed. It's more a recent thing, and back years ago level-based platformers were everywhere. Just look at SNES/Genesis era releases... Recently is what I mean by Metroidvanias, though - stuff like Axium Verge, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells recently.
    Meanwhile, for level-based games you don't have many recent offerings, stuff like Cuphead and Freedom Planet, perhaps, along with Nintendo's own offerings.

3. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    I'm very happy about this because this kinda makes up for the lack of WiiU backwards compatibility on the Nintendo Switch.

4. CeeDee

CeeDee Oh, fishsticks. I'm nauseous...

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Yes, and this way, you get to rebuy all the games over again! Isn't it great!?

5. Robfozz

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    They seriously couldn't just make a new NSMB game? These games are already the epitome of lazy, porting one is a new low.

Glyptofane and THYPLEX like this.
  6. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    I'd much rather see 3D World getting ported than this.
    Super Mario Maker I can see being announced alongside the Online Service Direct just to try to pull as many people as possible to their shitty service.

But where Nintendo is really dropping the ball hard is by not porting Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD to the Switch.
    But on second thought, they might do so just to pad out the dev time until a new Zelda comes out.

Come one, Shitendo, just package Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, alongside both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask from the 3DS but all in HD for the Switch, and you'll shit money for a year guaranteed.

7. SSG Vegeta

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    No because I believe that Nintendo could've added WiiU backwards compatibility to the Switch but only in the dock. But if the ports aren't too expensive then I'm game.

Last edited by SSG Vegeta, Aug 19, 2018
  8. MK73DS

MK73DS Non-commutative algebra

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    I like the fact that Nintendo is porting Wii U games on Switch. I don't have a Wii U (because it's a Wii U) but I still want to enjoy the few games it has to offer.

SSG Vegeta likes this.
  9. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    But for those of us who bought the wiiu back in 2012 and the switch at launch - it continues to feel like a kick in the face for sticking with Nintendo all this time.

Like - at least let us enjoy our games on the switch that we already bought. I bought Mario Kart 8 again on the switch and the fact that they didn't even add any new stages is just unforgivable. I know they didn't pretend to do anything but churn out a lazy port - however it's still just that.

$120 to Nintendo between those two games and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Last edited by x65943, Aug 19, 2018
  10. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i would prefer Skyward Sword hd since its the only 3d zelda that wasnt remastered yet and it could have a new control scheme too alongside the regular one.

11. bluhacks

bluhacks Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2018
    United States
    Hopefully this means we will also see a Super Mario Maker port too.

12. Sem112

Sem112 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2015
    Netherlands
    With every new WiiU port the doubt about my Switch purchase keeps growing. I played all these games on the WiiU already, make new ones Nintendo! Odyssey was amazing and I still have to try the new tennis game but that's about it for new switch games.

13. Obveron

Obveron GBAtemp Fan

Jul 5, 2010
    Canada
    It's like Nintendo don't want customers from Wii-u owners.

14. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    are they going to call it new super mario bros. "u" or new super mario bros. "switch"? lol

15. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    funny thing smash bros for wiiu we called it ssb4 and now on switch they made smash bros ultimate wich is ssbu lol

godreborn likes this.
  16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Despite the fact that no one is coerced into actually rebuying them, but I digress.

CeeDee likes this.
  17. SSG Vegeta

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    There are alot of WiiU games that I missed out on purpose because I knew that they would come out on the Switch so I agree & the only that I'll miss on the WiiU is the gamepad :)

18. supermist

supermist GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I'd rather they do a compilation like New Super Mario Bros - All Stars. Include the 5 NSMB titles on it. That'd be worth a buy.

19. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    i would prefer nsmbu+nsluigiu+mario maker all in one :P

20. mgrev

mgrev Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic

GBAtemp Patron
    mgrev is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 13, 2015
    Norway
    Under Tomato Hentai's stairs
    I mean it's nice to get this. Although i really hope they will release another "New" mario bros game in the future. I'll still pick this up though, cause i never had a wii u