Inserting PCM files to extracted VC ROMs + video mode question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WiiUBricker, Jun 29, 2011.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    I have a huge collection of SNES VC titles downloaded through the Wii Shop and want to extract the ROM files in order to be able to play them with Snes 9x GX. I have two questions:

1) I extracted for example F-Zero, it's called JACP.rom. It works with Snes 9X but it's missing sound. I learned that Nintendo removed the sound of many Snes titles to a separate PCM file, in my case the PCM of F-Zero is called JACP.pcm. Now, anyone knows how I can insert the PCM file to the F-Zero rom in order to gain a fully working ROM?

2) Some VC games like ActRaiser have two ROMs packed. One ROM is the Rom without sound and one ROM is complete and has sound (dunno why Nintendo did this). Anyway, as I'm from europe it's common that VC titles don't support 60Hz video mode. I compared the PAL version of ActRaiser with the NTSC one and the NTSC one runs a bit faster. Snes GX says that the NTSC rom runs with 60Hz and the PAL one with 50 Hz. Is it possible to edit the PAL rom, so that it runs with 60Hz? Changing the video mode of Snes 9x GX doesn't change anything. The video output is still 60Hz, but the PAL game runs nonetheless slower than the NTSC one.

Oh, before anyone mentions it, yes, I looked at ncon64, but this thing doesn't change anything.

2. Bent

Member Bent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Assuming it is PCM sound data, then you can't reinsert it. The SNES music was all produced by a programmable sound coprocessor, the SPC700. I would assume that to avoid timing issues in emulated SNES games, a major issue in SNES emulation, they put all the sound in raw PCM format for the emulator to play back. You may be out of luck on this one.

3. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
  4. Bent

Member Bent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Interesting. It must work different than I thought, or are these maybe sound samples and not music?

5. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    Yes, they are sound samples of the complete game.

6. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    Anyone know how can I edit the video mode of a SNES rom with a hex-editor?

7. DarkMatterCore

Member DarkMatterCore I like turtles.

Venezuela
    Have you tried the SNES tools @Zophar?

8. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    Yes, but none of them can change the video mode.

9. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    ROM technically does not have "video modes", they are either hard-coded for a specific SNES video mode (PAL/NTSC), in which case they don't start or run with errors if region does not match, or they simply run slower on PAL, with no errors.

What an emulator does is detecting what kind of video mode it shoudl use for a specific ROM by looking at the ROM header. Patching this could help making the game running in NTSC mode automatically, but it's exactly the same as forcing the video mode in the emulator. Some games might be hard-coded for a specific region and deliberately run slower, no matter what video refresh speed is.

10. WiiUBricker
    OP

Argentina
    I found the location of the hex byte of SNES roms which changes the region/video mode. All my PAL roms are running now with 60 FPS [​IMG]