Hardware input lag is worse when docked vs undocked?

willfr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My brother insists that there's more input lag when playing docked because there's just more stages and processing the signal has to go through. Is this true? And is there a scientific way to test this, like using a gaming monitor that has the lowest possible input lag instead of using a 'real' TV (real TV's usually introduce more input lag)?

If it's true, is it because when the Switch is undocked and the joycons are attached, they are "wired", whereas when they aren't attached to the Switch, they're using wireless, so the input lag difference is because wired controllers vs wireless controllers. (wireless controllers have worse input lag than wired controller)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
If you mean wireless vs directly connected via the rails, then it's possible. Even via USB can introduce some input lag. I think someone did a test on the Megaman Collections across multiple platforms, and Switch was included.

Then there's the TV, which is more of display lag if you don't have it set to game mode and whatnot. Portable mode doesn't have this issue.

TimPV3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what the response time is on the Switch screen, but there's definitely input lag from your TV. Depends on the model, but most smart TVs have a game mode that cuts it down.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch has gone out of its way to slow down hard-wired connections (USB controllers and attached joy-cons) to be about as slow as its bluetooth. So they are trying to keep the experience consistent. They can't do a whole lot to account for lag like TVs and receivers. Make sure all of that is running in "game mode" or with minimal processing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYA4rALqEE