Inject preloader into System Menu WAD before Upgrade/Downgrade

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by rizapn, Aug 22, 2009.

1. rizapn
    OP

Newcomer rizapn Newbie

Indonesia
    Hi all,

sorry if it is already discussed. I try the searching button with "preloader" as an input text, but found no topic about this yet.

Some of friend has WII, play around with some WAD files (from game and also for System Menu update), but unfortunately something goes wrong, and finally they (banner) brick their WII.

There are at least two application that can be executed "before" System Menu, bootmii as boot2 and preloader (or something similar with other name). Unfortunately, some new WII is not allowed bootmii to be installed as boot2 (only as IOS). Then, preloader is the only choice, for Anti (banner) brick purposes.

So, put preloader all the time will save some of us. The only critical time is when we execute SystemMenuvXXX.wad to update/downgrade our System Menu. Is there anyway to patch SystemMenuvXXX.wad with preloader inside?

* something like : CIOSXX_revXX_installer.dol --> the application read the whole original wad (SystemMenu.wad in this case), patch it (with preloader), then install it to the WII.

I do believe that preloader is installed in the beginning of System Menu slot, and upgrade or downgrade process is writing the bytes from the beginning. So, whenever something goes wrong (electricity problem for example), preloader had been written in the System Menu slot, and our WII is not totally bricked.

Any comment or info about that (kind of application) ?

Thank you,
    rizapn

2. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't understand why you can't just install Preloader after you install the System Menu. It's only a few seconds with no brick protection.

3. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    It's a good idea, when you installed the wrong wad and brick you still have preloader!!!

4. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You're saying that if you are installing a wad of the system menu and you're not sure it will work, it will be OK because it will already have Preloader in it?

5. aabbccdd

Member aabbccdd GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    I think what he means is that if you install a system menu wad from wad manager, and during that installation you get a power cut. Because you were installing a system menu wad, it overwrites preloader, and if it crashes, you get a full brick - no preloader to help.

6. Kwartel

Member Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Netherlands
    no I mean the bdr9 way

7. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just create a Wad from the folder /title/00000001/00000002 on the NAND after installing Preloader, today I messed with this folder, you can also find hacks.ini and some stuff there.

8. rizapn
    OP

Newcomer rizapn Newbie

Indonesia
    - Will that WAD compatible for ALL other WII console?

~~~

My idea was :
    - build something like : SystemMenu_with_preloader.dol
    - it will read SystemMenuvXXX.wad from SD Card root,
    - extract all titles, just like CIOS_rev_Installer.dol did,
    - patch them with preloader,
    - write the result to the NAND