Initial firmware versions on new PSP 3000s

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Pavichokche, Jun 24, 2010.

Jun 24, 2010
  1. Pavichokche
    OP

Newcomer Pavichokche Advanced Member

Canada
    I'll ask my question first, and then explain why I'm asking.
    There are various PSP packages sold (ie. the ratchet and clank and core system) as well as just plain PSP systems. Is there a set firmware version that certain packages [always] come with when purchased???

I'm asking this because I want to buy and mod a PSP 3000 (newest=best?) however I don't want a used one. I noticed that there are many different packages that a PSP could come with, so I was wondering if there is one which comes with the elusive 5.03 (or lower) firmware.

Thanks in advance

2. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    Not sure for packs but for cores is past 5.03 and most likely 6.20.

3. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    Actually the "best" are PSP 2000s with a hackable motherboard, otherwise if you do find a PSP 2000/3000 with 5.03 firmware you'll have to hack it in a non-permanent way.
    I suggest you try searching online or in your city for older 2000s like I did, I got a Felicia Blue pre-hacked PSP like that [​IMG].

4. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    Jack and Daxter Pack, God of War, Blue Madden,and Star Wars... All of those 2k packs I have hacked. I still see them new locally once in awhile.

5. Pavichokche
    OP

Canada
    Awesome, thanks for the info, GreatCrippler, Goli, and BoxShot. Would you say that permanently hacking a PSP would be a better idea then keeping it semi-legit and only using the mod stuff whenever you want to? Are there any set-backs to permanently having it hacked, for example not being able to connect to PSN (which can be bypassed with a plugin), or are all of them somehow bypassable with plugins?

6. AC/DS

Member AC/DS GBAtemp Regular

Slovakia
    Not sure if this is possible where you live (I am in Europe) but I have bought several PSP 3000's by now and I ALWAYS ask the sale person to show me the screen. I pretend I am checking for dead pixels, then quickly check the fw version. If it is 5.03 or lower, I buy it.
    Just once I DID NOT do this, being 100% sure that the Silver 3000 bundled with a PES game was 5.02 (I bought if once before so I thought why would they update the firmware?), then I come home check the PSP and, oh horror, it's updated to 6.10!!!
    Learned my lesson there. LOL.

7. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    It's a 3k, you can't hack it permanently.

8. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    If you get a hackable 2000 or any 1000 then if you have 2 batteries you can make one of them a Pandora battery, with it you can stay on CFW and upgrade to OFW then back to CFW whenever you want.
    CFW brings more pros than cons, really. Pretty much everything is bypassable with a plugin now.

9. Pavichokche
    OP

Canada
    Okay guys, this is the final thing (I hope):

PSP 3001xms / 98896 (ratchet and clank pack)
    and
    psp 2001pb / 98510 (piano black core pack)

Can I trust that the ratchet and clank one will come with the 5.00 firmware (like it says in some online sources) or is it possible that it comes with a newer version? If it indeed does surely come with a newer version, then can I trust that the 2001 piano black one will have a workable firmware?

EDIT:

I called a Microplay store and they said that they haven't sold a Ratchet and clank pack since february 2009. According to the sony website, at that time the psp versions were 5.00-5.03, while version 5.50 came out June that year. With this decisive evidence, do you think I can count on the new ratchet and clank pack that this person in my city can sell me to have the 5.00 firmware???

10. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Ask to open one and check it for any problems, then quickly look at the firmware version.

11. ichimaru_grin

Newcomer ichimaru_grin Newbie

United States
    can anybody confirm for sure that the psp ratchet and clank bundle with model number PSP-3001XMS / 98896 is at or below 5.03?

does anybody know what the model number of the newer ratchet and clank bundle is and if its any different our would be any different?