OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hello,
My cousin recently told me to specialize in something when I go to college and not make the same mistake he did. I told "I don't know what I want to specialize in." He suggested something that had to do with Information technology. What I would like to know is what classes I could take while I'm in high school to help me prepare for majoring in Information tech. Do they expect me to have prior knowledge of networking and other computer related stuff? What should I take my senior year of high school?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Colleges will generally require you to take basic computer classes with them first. I went to a tech school and they made me take what was basically a "windows and office for dummies" class that was a breeze.

But if you can take something in high school that might prepare you better, it would be a good idea to take it so that the college classes will be easier. You can afford failing a high school elective more than you can afford to fail a college course.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would just suggest any computer classes your school has to offer. If you have several, i would skip the "beginners" classes (that teach you to type and how to right click, UNLESS of course you need them) and go for the more advanced ones...

Well what do you want to do? If your only going for IT cause he said to do it, i would really reconsider it. It sucks going to school for a year only to find out that you weren't really interested at the end of the year
frown.gif
(kinda like me
frown.gif
)

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
High school tech classes are trash. Don't waste your time.

What are you looking to do in IT? Networking? Programming?

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
If you have the guts, the brains and the balls to, I suggest Bioinformatics (Computer + Biology). It is one of the fastest growing industry as of now. It pays a huge amount, you should look into it.

mflo

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you have the guts, the brains and the balls to, I suggest Bioinformatics (Computer + Biology). It is one of the fastest growing industry as of now. It pays a huge amount, you should look into it.
Woa, Biology isn't my thing. I'm thinking about psychology or IT. I really can't decide. My brother tells me I don't need to know what I want to do for the first 2 years of college, since it's mostly core classes, and I don't start my majors yet. So i'll have time to switch around. I just hope that I will eventually be able to decide on something.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the guts, the brains and the balls to, I suggest Bioinformatics (Computer + Biology). It is one of the fastest growing industry as of now. It pays a huge amount, you should look into it.

Woa, Biology isn't my thing. I'm thinking about psychology or IT. I really can't decide. My brother tells me I don't need to know what I want to do for the first 2 years of college, since it's mostly core classes, and I don't start my majors yet. So i'll have time to switch around. I just hope that I will eventually be able to decide on something.

Well this is sort of true... BUT think of it this way. I know ALOT of people that do this... But they end up taking 3/4 CORE classes at once! IMO is pretty overwhelming... I like to have some other classes at the same time to help keep up my GPA. But hey this is my opinion. Unless of course your strapped for cash, and going to take those classes at a local college... i personally would take some core classes with general ed classes from the beginning and for as long as possible.
grog.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo