Infinity Ward's former heads file suit against Activision

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by fgghjjkll, Mar 4, 2010.

1. fgghjjkll
    OP

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Source

2. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    good on them I say

3. frogmyster3

Member frogmyster3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    While I can't stand the Modern Warfare games, nor any other Call of Duty for that matter, Activision are being jerks about this. If they didn't like Infinity Ward developing for them they could have dropped them after Modern Warfare 2. I sure as hell hope that Activision lose this case and have to cough up and I hope that the Guitar Hero lawsuit that I read about a few weeks ago is lost too ($1000 per Guitar Hero game sold they'd have to pay).

4. Raiser

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Fuck Activision up the ass. Hope the duo will win.

5. referencer

Member referencer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is there a gaming company left that I can buy games from without feeling bad about supporting assholes?

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    http://www.torchlightgame.com Perhaps this?

7. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States
    My thoughts exactly. Every time Activision's name comes up in the news, they're trying to screw someone out of money.

8. misteromar

Member misteromar GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I think these guys just got big heads thinking they run the show, with the success of the MW games They are just employees payed to do a job but it sounds like they got greedy.

The will get crushed by Activision in court.

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    QFT, this duo deserves loads of respect for not doing what Activision wanted (probably something related to MMO/DLC/money things [​IMG])

10. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    I hope they win. Even if it means no more MW games, they deserve to get their money for producing two great games.

11. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I'm with Activision on this one. They screwed pc gamers and stabbed them in the back, so I hope Activision does the same to them.

12. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Chances are that it was Activision who got them to do that to save costs.

Also Activision were the ones who thought they could charge more than the usual RRP for games so they were screwing gamers full stop.

13. Rydian

United States
    So a person thinks that people who made a game don't deserve their wages, even after they spent all the time working on it, just because they dislike the game? Well, I'd like to see somebody pull that on YOU and see how well you take it.

"Well, you spent the past week renovating my store for me, new shelves, cleaned out the freezer out back, and you filed all my records! However, your choice of how to arrange the display shelves is atrocious, so you're fired and I'm not going to pay you."

If I'm missing the entire story and these guys actually did something bad enough to deserve not getting paid, somebody fill me in.

14. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    They did, it's called iw.net.

15. Rydian

United States
    That redirects me to an ISP...

16. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    It's the matchmaking service they shoved down pc users throats. No dedicated servers and no mods, instead we got iw.net and p2p console style matchmaking. The service is completely broken, over run with cheats, no dedi servers, so no admins on servers to deal with them, so if you get stuck in a game with them, no choice other than to leave. Lag all over the place due to p2p, no ping display, instead just coloured bars.

17. Rydian

United States
    Okay, now have those two men done anything worth removing their pay for the work they did?

Keep in mind that your personal opinion of the final product has no bearing on the amount of work they put into it and the amount of time spent on it, which are concrete measurements, totally unaffected by your opinion.

18. Armadillo

United Kingdom
    Yes, yes they have. IW.net is broken. It doesn't work as they claimed it would. This isn't personal opinion it's fact.

"Cheat / Hack Free Games: The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don't have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters."

Over run with hackers, pirates can play with legit users, legit users were getting kicked because host was a pirate, players screwing with the rankings (one kill ranks you to max etc), legitimate players would be stuck on these games by matchmaking, not knowing it was a hacked game and get a kill now,there rank is screwed (permanently).

"Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want to player a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You'd have to scroll through a Server Browser which listed every available server which was hosted by individual server admins. Each had their own private rules, mods, or ways of playing the game. Most players would also use the server browser to find just the best quality game (based on PING). With IWNET matchmaking, it takes all that into account for you. All you have to do is select the playlist (pre-set gametypes with custom rules) that fits the style of play you are in the mood for. When you do, it will automatically find you a game with the best performance, ping, and preferences based on your location and individual connection as well as matching you with players of your same SKILL. So you're always guaranteed the best game performance for where you are and what connection you're playing on as well as an equal game with other players of your same skill level, not rank, but skill level. It doesn't mean you'll just be thrown into a random game! It will put you in the game that will give you the smoothest gameplay possible without you having to manually find a server with the best ping."

Doesn't happen, people get put on servers with crap hosts all the time. You only have to look around and you'll see tons of people complaining of lag on the great IW.net [​IMG]. Gameplay also isn't smoother than it is with dedi severs and being able to pick the best server.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225847

People generally don't get paid for stuff that is broken, or at least they shouldn't. IW.net is broken.

19. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    It was a bad idea, so what? Bad ideas happen in video games all the time. If you don't like it, go play a different game, don't complain and say a person shouldn't get paid for their work, especially considering those people might not even have had much to do with IWnet to begin with.

Also, as far as I've read, this has nothing to do with IWnet (So there goes your claim of them not being paid for incorporating a broken matchmaking system), and even if it did Activision are probably the ones profiting the most from it.

What about all of those games that use Gamespy? Gamespy is a terrible system, should the creators of every game that uses Gamespy get fired and not paid?

20. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Call of Duty 4 has lag, hackers, etc...But you probably like that, don't you? Face it, games can't be perfect, and when they aren't, everyone has a shitstorm about it. And no, it's not broken. It's perfectly fine. PC gamers always think they should get some special shit just because it's not exclusively for gaming/entertainment. Well, too bad, you don't anymore.