Indie Game: The Movie

Discussion in 'Books, Music, TV & Movies' started by Flame, Dec 29, 2012.

Dec 29, 2012

Indie Game: The Movie by Flame at 3:03 AM (476 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Flame
    OP

Member Flame Me > You

So who has watched this. i did, got it with humble bundle 7 and i thought it was great. it shows how tough life can be for an indie dev and the shit they go through. if you haven't watched it yet, I highly recommend it.

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    Go on IRC and they will all say it sucks. I personally liked it but I believe some of them need to chill out. Creator of Fez looked like he was about to kill everyone in sight because his machine glitched. Things happen man.

3. Rockhoundhigh

Member Rockhoundhigh Man with a mission

United States
    I enjoyed it, I think on Edmund's blog he mentioned something about the Humble Bundle version having a unique commentary track with him and Tommy just talking, I haven't checked it out yet though.

4. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Horrible, bullshit movie. Phil Fish is a whiny bitch (I love FEZ, but for fuck's sake is he a horrible person), Team Meat are so full of themselves, Jon Blow is weird as hell, and it's not even close to an example of what a good indie developer's life is like. You don't fucking quit your jobs to go work on a game by yourself (Or with a few other people) that might not even sell. If you do, it's your fault that your life is so shit and you can't fend for yourself.

Everyone says how it's so inspirational, and how they feel so bad for the developers, but it's a crock of shit. Until you actually have any experience with independent development, whether it's full time, part time, or even a hobby, don't think this is what making a game is actually like, because it's not. It's just a group of idiots who made stupid decisions and got to bitch about it on camera.

Foxi4 likes this.
  5. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    I didn't have one shred of sympathy for any of the devs. I saw it as more of a character study... "What kind of nerd does it take to be an 'indie dev'"?

6. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I watched a good portion of it on Netflix, Gahars saw the latter end of it as well so he can attest to some of my criticisms.

It's about half an hour (well arguably a TV half hour which is 23 minutes + 7 minutes of commercials) of a really interesting look into the creative process of indie game development. How they're basically pet projects and their thought process in designing these games. That's interesting.

The rest of it is just incredibly pretentious. It's just hipsters rubbing their snatches over how bad big publishers are and how they're so different and unique. The only tolerable one I thought was the Braid developer. There's tons of key quotes of them going "I'd rather kill myself before I worked at EA/Activision/etc" or "I make games for me, they can play their Modern Warfares and Halos because those games are shit." Like it became so incredibly obnoxious to the point where I lost a lot of respect for devs like McMillen (who I thought was a really interesting dev for Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac) because of just how annoying he sounds. Or like the Fez creator moaning about how nasty people are for him taking a time. Saying shit like "GTA IV took five years and it had a thousand people! I'm just one guy!" Yeah but it was fucking Grand Theft Auto IV. Comparing your little indie platformer to a game that builds an entire city and population from scratch is just dumb. There's a reason GTA IV took five years and $100 million. It's because it's FUCKING HUGE.

75% of the documentary was just hipsters complaining about how hard their lives are. I went in expecting an insightful look into the development of indie games. I got barely any of that. This made me resent indie games more than anything else.

Key scene though is McMillen's partner-in-crime sitting alone in a waffle house on his smart phone talking about how lonely he is. It was just so fucking stupid that I had to laugh.

EDIT: I do quite enjoy documentaries and I'd put this in the lower tier. Documentaries are usually either to discover something yourself as a filmmaker or inform others of an important piece of history. Like I don't really want to go into a documentary where the maker already has a clear intention before it starts (like Michael Moore documentaries which are so poorly stuffed with his opinion instead of helping the audience formulate their own) or it seeks to inform you about something that's important. It felt like this movie had an agenda of making the indie community look like gods and big publishers look like Blue Meanies. As a non-prentetious non-hipster member of society, I can safely say it did the opposite.

7. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    To add on...

I can't really fault the filmmakers for this, but the subjects of the documentary had a grating lack of self-awareness at times. Like, I remember one part where one of the SMB devs talks about what the game means to him, and how, "We all have a Band-Aid Girl of our own that our souls need to chase," and on and on...

I get it, the whole project was a labor of love, but we're talking about a game where an anthropomorphic hunk of meat battles an evil fetus. I don't think your game is as deep as you think it is.

Guild McCommunist likes this.
  8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    SMB is also the most unfortunate abbreviation for an indie platformer.

Gahars likes this.