Gaming Independent Nintendo developer says Switch BotW's frame rate issue not power-related

DiscostewSM

OP
Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
https://gamersplash.com/2017/03/21/...er-related-originally-ran-at-60fps-on-switch/

Devs says it is due to programming bugs, like for example showing both near and far LOD objects when in docked mode. When taking into account that the Zelda team was given the task to port BotW over to Switch late in development (and needed it done and ready for Switch's launch), plus seeing games like Fast RMX process 4.5x the pixels of the original version with improved visuals/effects, it says to me that perhaps there's some truth to this.

What do you all think?

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
https://gamersplash.com/2017/03/21/...er-related-originally-ran-at-60fps-on-switch/

Devs says it is due to programming bugs, like for example showing both near and far LOD objects when in docked mode. When taking into account that the Zelda team was given the task to port BotW over to Switch late in development (and needed it done and ready for Switch's launch), plus seeing games like Fast RMX process 4.5x the pixels of the original version with improved visuals/effects, it says to me that perhaps there's some truth to this.

What do you all think?
Because there is people that believed that a game ported in such a short time would not affec perfs ? comon docked the console is almost a xboxOne but you actualy think that it can't run a 900p WiiU game ?

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
There has to be some truth to this. Turning off WiFi and all of these other "fixes" don't work. It's placebo. The game was ported, pretty terribly, honestly. It's fun and all, but they half assed. It's not a good example of what the Switch can do.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because there is people that believed that a game ported in such a short time would not affec perfs ? comon docked the console is almost a xboxOne but you actualy think that it can't run a 900p WiiU game ?

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if BotW on the Switch receives some patches in the coming months to improve performance.

I will say that turning off the Wifi on my Switch (as recommended recently) does seem to have decreased the occasional frameskipping, when it occurs is far more rare now, and not as jarring.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already confirmed to be not near a xbox one, but of course it is capable of doing better than the botw port.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean it's the same thing that happened with Twilight Princess. Launch titles are never the final indicators of a console's potential. Especially in the case of ports from completely different architectures. Considering DLC is coming let's hope Nintendo can sort out performance a bit in the coming months.

Risingdawn

Tempallica
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean it's the same thing that happened with Twilight Princess. Launch titles are never the final indicators of a console's potential. Especially in the case of ports from completely different architectures. Considering DLC is coming let's hope Nintendo can sort out performance a bit in the coming months.
This. It's fairly common for launch/early titles to be poorly optimized while developers adjust and start pushing the hardware. Games get better as a console matures.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The problem is that nVidia and Nintendo are just making you think the X1 is more powerful than you think. X1 peaks at 500~ gflops at fp32 and the Xbox one is more than twice that! Yes nVidia pulled some voodoo to get over 1tflop with fp16 but I doubt Nintendo will ever be able to use that efficiently. Oh and I don't think Maxwell has nVidias fo16x2 cuda cores so no REAL performance or storage benefits.

Yes BotW could perform better if it was coded better but I doubt it would be that much better. Maybe less frame drops but I'd never think you could get 60fps.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that nVidia and Nintendo are just making you think the X1 is more powerful than you think. X1 peaks at 500~ gflops at fp32 and the Xbox one is more than twice that! Yes nVidia pulled some voodoo to get over 1tflop with fp16 but I doubt Nintendo will ever be able to use that efficiently. Oh and I don't think Maxwell has nVidias fo16x2 cuda cores so no REAL performance or storage benefits.

Yes BotW could perform better if it was coded better but I doubt it would be that much better. Maybe less frame drops but I'd never think you could get 60fps.
Nobody is shooting for strictly 1080p60fps. We all know the X1 MOBILE chip is nowhere near the other 2 consoles. It's not trying to be. Getting tired of the pessimism from some people. It's a strong chip for mobile gaming. Possibly the strongest on the market currently..

What it can and can't do has yet to be seen. Fast RMX actually is a decent beginning example. Game looks and runs fantastically.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

What do you all think?
Except Fast RMX is far simpler graphically, there are way less polygons and it doesn't have all the dynamic grass to deal with.
Not that it looks bad, it still looks pretty good, but the graphics are designed in such a way that it takes far less graphical power to run, while still looking good.
Without all the shaders and lighting though, it would probably look more like a N64 game.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: 2Hack

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huzzah, finally we can come to a consensus and say it's a shoddy port. Fast RMX is a better example of the switch's capabilities but we could really use a big first party title so people can stop thinking BotW is the best switch can do

Reactions: Kioku

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Already confirmed to be not near a xbox one, but of course it is capable of doing better than the botw port.
"technically", it is, but it won't because of the architecture mostly.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if BotW on the Switch receives some patches in the coming months to improve performance.

I will say that turning off the Wifi on my Switch (as recommended recently) does seem to have decreased the occasional frameskipping, when it occurs is far more rare now, and not as jarring.

I wanna bet my shirt that some part of the stuff is even "emulated" i have really big doubts about the grass for the instance... that shit seems naturaly handled by the WiiU no big problems with that,
like on the begining of the game, you have quite some grass around the "old man", Switch have really troubles there...
, it's always when there is a quite amount of grass that the game have a little freezes or drops like a microsecond.
This sounds to me like a lag in the computing of something that is not meant to be processed "that way".

Except Fast RMX is far simpler graphically, there are way less polygons and it doesn't have all the dynamic grass to deal with.
Not that it looks bad, it still looks pretty good, but the graphics are designed in such a way that it takes far less graphical power to run, while still looking good.
Not really, thats why the game is not in 1080p on WiiU but smash bros is. The game a really fast amount of process and let free some parts because they can't be seen, so the game is constantly loading in a race, they use quite some shaders effect with light also and with the FXs on the pods, and there can be 10 pods at the same time... thats a lot with a good fidelity like that.

Last edited by nolimits59,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Even then, BotW could have been a shining example. The rendering could have been handled far better... But it was obviously rushed. As @s157 said, a proper first party title would help showcase the power of the system.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Even then, BotW could have been a shining example. The rendering could have been handled far better... But it was obviously rushed. As @s157 said, a proper first party title would help showcase the power of the system.
No doubt about that. At least judging by this video:
I'm not sure if that's still accurate now that both versions are out, there might have been changes to make them look more similar, however judging from that video the Wii U version is the superior one. And from what I've heard, the two versions seem to run equally bad although they don't lag in the same places.

Reactions: Kioku

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr