In which order should I play the zelda games?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Flixgamer, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Flixgamer
    OP

Flixgamer Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2013
    Netherlands
    Last year, I wasn't really a gamer. But I founded my old NES back that I got when i was 27. I didn't do much with it then, but when I found it back I really enjoyed some of the games. My son (11) has a WII and a 3DS. We played some games together. And now, I am a huge of mario, metriod, kid icarus, megaman, and so on. I enjoy the NES games as much as the WII ones. A few days ago, I realized I had never in my life played a zelda game (!). I have enough consoles (NES, WII, 3DS) and money for all the games. I know nintendo made an official timeline and i think it would be fun to follow that.
    So I would begin with skyward sword till ocarina and then I choose one of the 3 split timelines to do first. But what could also be a good idea is to just play the games in order of their release dates. So what is better? Or do you have another suggestion?

2. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I highly recommend play the games in the order that they were released in the past. For an example, starting with 1987 until recently. :)

Here it is:

Code:
    http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
    If you like it.. Please click like if you want. Much appreciated! :D

3. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    It really doesn't matter. I guess I would start off with the NES Zelda though just so you know where the series came from. I would skip Zelda 2 as it was not really a Zelda game at all other than the inclusion of dark link.

Yeah Nintendo released an official timeline but it's so vague (though really cool) that anybody could piece together their own. I tend to just believe that each story is just a different version of the story, kind of like how legends from years ago always get a different story depending who you hear it from.

4. Zeliga

Zeliga One step closer.

Sep 28, 2013
    Kalos
    Old to new or you follow the timline :D

5. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Don't do it, man, don't do it.

6. CaptainSodaPop

CaptainSodaPop Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2012
    Croatia
    I think it doesn't have much sense to play them in the order since The Legend of Zelda games don't have that much complicated stories.You really wouldn't experience anything different or complete with playing them in timeline order.What I would suggest is to start with Zelda that feels most natural to you.I started with Ocarina of Time, but didn't beat it first time playthrough (got to the first Ganon fight) because my brother reinstalled Windows without my knowledge and he also formatted the hard drive so I lost my save.Then I borrowed GameCube with Wind Waker, but I had to return the console in one month exactly, I came really far, just needed to collect all Triforce parts and didn't manage to beat it.Then I got my own GameCube and beated Twilight Princess with pleasure, so that's my first Zelda game that I fully experienced to the end.But was kind of too lazy to start Wind Waker from the beginning so I ended up never beating it, though I really feel like playing it right now.About 2 years ago I got 3DS for a birthday present and beaten Ocarina of Time.I didn't have that feeling of repetition when I was playing through the most of the game for the second time, like I felt I would have with Wind Waker, so I think it's really about you how you feel about particular game at the particular time.If you have never played Zelda before I would heartwarmly suggest to begin with Ocarina of Time 3D, because, It's really the best game ever.Then go next with Twilight Princess...

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    If you like old school/retro gaming, I would suggest to play in release order. (mainly because as an old player, this is the order I played them :P)
    You'll see the evolution and you will have more pleasure to see the changes and improvement in each games.

If you go backward, it might be difficult to appreciate the games, as you could expect things which weren't created yet.
    But if you look at each game as a different game with different ideas, then I guess you can play them in any order you want (except maybe WindWaker before the 2 Zelda games on DS).

Edit:
    Look at WiiUBricker post bellow, I think it's a good order :)

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I would play them mostly in order of release so you can appreciate connections to other games that were meant to be appreciated. That being said, I usually have people start with Ocarina of Time and go from there.

9. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada

I'm perhaps the biggest Ocarina of Time fan ever, but even I have to admit that people should start at A Link To The Past.

10. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Ocarina of Time does the best job introducing a player to the setting, plot, etc. It's also the origin story of the main antagonist. I would pick no other game to have a player start with. In A Link to the Past, the conflict is the main antagonist escaping his previous imprisonment (in a timeline I no longer acknowledge no less, but that's irrelevant).

I should also note that a lot of people just starting The Legend of Zelda series do not have that much of an appreciation for A Link to the Past and other older games. One is almost guaranteed to enjoy Ocarina of Time. If one doesn't like Ocarina of Time, he or she probably won't like The Legend of Zelda series; oppositely, one can dislike A Link to the Past and still like other parts of The Legend of Zelda series. After one plays Ocarina of Time, he or she can go from there to trying other games and seeing which ones he or she does or doesn't like.

11. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    1. A Link to the Past
    2. Minish Cap
    3. Links Awakening
    4. Oracle of Seasons
    5. Oracle of Ages
    6. Ocarina of Time 3D
    7. Majora's Mask
    8. Wind Waker (HD)
    9. Phantom Hourglass
    10. Spirit Tracks
    11. Twilight Princess (GC-Version)
    12. Skyward Sword
    13. A Link between Worlds

14. Legend of Zelda (NES)
    15. Four Swords Adventures
    16. Legend of Zelda 2 (NES)

The last three are meh.

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I usually have people play through these titles in order of release first:
    1. Ocarina of Time
    2. Majora's Mask (some people opt to play this later or skip it entirely)
    3. The Wind Waker
    4. Twilight Princess
    5. Skyward Sword
    After those are done, I recommend going back and hitting A Link to the Past and others. Some of the other games are kind of average in my opinion and a matter of taste. I also recommend that after you finish Ocarina of Time you get online and refresh your understanding of the timeline splits with your Ocarina of Time experiences in mind.

osirisjem likes this.