Gaming In Store Representation Helping Kill Nintendo Home Consoles?

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it difficult to believe that companies from behemoths like Microsoft to small fries like DVD/BluRay player manufacturers are okay with the licensing fees and Nintendo isn't.

I'm aware of the per-unit fees, however I'm also pretty sure that $20 a unit is a bit of a stretch and the actual cost is lower, but I won't speak up on the matter until I find conclusive evidence that this is the case - the BDA site doesn't mention such royalties so I can't quote anything - it must be a part of the actual agreement.

Edit: Welp, I found this.

If it's anything to go by, they'd pay $9.50 for each "BD player" and $0,11 for each pressed BluRay disc unless they went to BD4C which has lower rates. That's pretty acceptable if you ask me, and I'm willing to wager that a BD game console isn't far off that mark price-wise.

Royalty Fees:

BD Player: $9
BD Playback Software: $2
BD Data Disk (assuming 10 disks sold per customer): $.75.
DVD Drive: $2
DVD Decoder: $.50

So, you are looking at about $15 per unit just in licensing fees for the bluray technology. Then you also have the cost of releasing regular updates to the software, as bluray technology does not allow newer movies to play without firmware/software updates. I am not sure if there is a royalty fee for that, but probably not.

And if you look at Sony and Microsoft, they are very different machines. The Wii U is intended primarily as a gaming machine, and DVD and Bluray playback do not make games any better. Sony does not have to pay any royalty fees for bluray technology. Microsoft has aimed the Xbox as a poor man's home theater PC, so of course, their market niche pretty much demands that they include a basic home theater function like DVD and Bluray playback.

At between $1-2 billion dollars in projected cost, much of it going to competitors, and potentially making piracy even easier, it is no wonder Nintendo opted out of Bluray movie capabilities, especially considering that blurays are quickly becoming obsolete as consumers move toward cloud services.

[1] http://www.dvd6cla.com/royaltyrate.html

[2] http://www.one-blue.com/royalty-rates/

Reactions: matt1tude

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Fair enough, you make your point clear and thank you for conducting further research. :) We have a slightly different approach towards the matter, I think. I'd gladly "pay" the $20 for a useful, meaningful function (even though I think a company should keep industry standards in mind and this should be accounted for during development and treated as a per-unit loss) rather than go without. At the end of the day, you only pay for a console once wheras the functions set stays with you forever - I'd rather have more than less. You do have a point though - for some customers this $20 can make or break the deal. ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Don't tell the BBWs they love chocolate 🥰
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nutella gotta buy store brand times are rough
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta buy store brand hoes too
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I'm sleepy good night
    Synthetic chocolate will be a thing lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pump the chocolate into my veins
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    talking about sex drugs and rock n roll?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nvm the guy talking about spammers wasn't now
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    holy cow I'm tired
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Are priests touching cows now
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Fuck yeah bro LGBTQ Batman? Let's fucking go
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Robin can finally be happy
    +3
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the...