Gaming In Store Representation Helping Kill Nintendo Home Consoles?

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some speculation I think rings true to a large extent.
Nintendo's home consoles have seemed to have been struggling since the days of the Gamecube. From what I witnessed (having worked in a Game Stop during this particular time period) is that the masses were caught up on the DVD Playback band wagon. Mind you, this was at a time when nearly everyone and their grandma already owned inexpensive APEX DVD players or what have you. Unlike the PS3 period and Blue Ray platyers, DVD players were not that expensive to acquire, yet due to media hype, blasting and blasting the same message over and over again, the blindly consuming masses got caught up on the repetition of the sensationalism, and were convinced that if their game console could not play back movies either, that it wasn't a game console worth having, despite the quality of games, abilities of the hardware, quality and comfort of the controller's design, and so on. So naturally the masses flocked to Sony who they were familiar and comfortable with thanks to the previous generation of consoles.
The XBOX began to catch up at the tail end, I'm sure again due to the fact that they had DVD play back abilities, and for the fact that near the end of the XBOX's life cycle, Microsoft had proven to the market place that they were here to stay, so the media echoed this and convinced the masses of this as a "fact" too.
If it were not for the Nintendo Gameboy Advanced and Nintendo DS, Nintendo would have suffered greatly during this game cycle period.

The next chapter to Nintendo's drama comes with the Nintendo Wii. Now, now not only does the Wii fail to deliver those much over hyped DVD playback abilities, but also fails to deliver in the next generation of video playback media, be it Blue Ray, or Microsoft's failed alternative. Further more the Wii did not try to make sales my tricking foolish consumers into thinking that just because their system had such and such amount of beef, that unique and quality games were destined to follow. Rather they stated facts in a very reasonable, logical, and honest manner...

...which just doesn't go over well in this 20th century inspired market place as inspired by Edward Bernays, where in the consumer is not urged to research his product, think practically, and to put his needs before their wants, but rather to allow them selves to be easily seduced by sensationalism, and the drive of their passions over their reason or needs.

Nintendo claimed that super expensive hardware was not required to produce a quality and unique gaming experience and what was needed was first off, a few good teams developers bent pushing the edge of video game entertainment not through polygons, wide expansive play fields, or his resolution textures, but upon innovative game design at it's core... the very essence upon which the history of video gaming had been built.

Yet sadly, Nintendo on the one hand did not prepare third party developers very well as it seemed to take them a few years to figure out what exactly to do with the new control mechanisms, and to make matters worse, by the time third party developers began to really get the swing of things (Ubisoft), most had lost their zeal and jumped ship.
There was also the fact that internet based game play was really catching on at the time, and Nintendo made hardly any efforts at all to play friendly with that, and instead tried to control the sway of established cultural connectivity, and insisted that people were not truly "together" when they were playing physically separated across the internet divide, and insisted that over all, players would have a better time if they were physically in the room together. Likewise they insisted that this would help bring families together, much like how a game of cards or Monopoly did for previous pre-video game generations.

While I greatly admire their efforts and perspectives on this matter, once again this was thwarted by the growing trend of on-line gaming, or rather the fact that so many Johnny Come Lately's were swooned by something that computer gamers have been enjoying for year!
Mind you, Nintendo's effort in this arena did manage to succeed to some extent. A lot of people of all ages and sex were coming together to play the Wii's family friendly titles and what have you, but alas the Wii became type casted by this image so to speak, and it became common perception that the Wii wasn't designed for hard core gamers, I.E. games featuring protagonists based upon 80's/90's low budget action movies, lots of sex, violence, cussing, and of course, what ever play mechanics were popular in other games that seemed to relay upon these elements. The Dragon's Layer esque button pressing game merged within nearly every game that comes out any more. So much for innovation or the desire for it for that matter.
Sadly, this was untrue. There were a great number of quality games released for the Wii, even a handful that did feature the above mentioned elements, though the majority of them in fact lacked them, but managed to stand of their merit of good gaming experience alone. Though the common consumer had no way of knowing about these titles because they were not marketed hardly at all, if at all for that matter. Secondly, every time you went to a game shop which at this point is a monopoly between Game Stop, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart, they only Wii games you would generally see on the shelf would be Nintendo's first party titles, and then a bunch of games for infants, old people, and other non-general gamers.
So I ask, if they stores did not put any effort into putting the vast library of quality Wii gems upon their shelves, then how was the average consumer to know that they existed. It would seem that this monopoly of the big three game retail stores have much to say in regards to the success or demise of a game console in this respect, that and the mal-informed game store representatives who never gave the Wii a fair chance, or like so many, have lost touch with the core spirit of gaming all together, and are instead quite satisfied with a market that churns out crass and adolescent game clone after clone, again depending upon the above mentioned elements, and of course better graphics, bigger bangs, and so on and so forth.

Finally we come to the Wii U, the situation has not changed. Again Nintendo is at large fault with this for not being better prepared, having a vision already in motion before the console's release, not spending the needing time preping third party developers, and alas not being clear to the average consumer as to what the Wii U is and why they would want it.

Fact of the matter is that most people I know, average TV watching, movie going consumers that is, don't even know that Nintendo has a new game system out. They think the Wii U is an upgrade to the Wii. To make matters worse, if you go to one of the big three monopolies to purchase a Wii U game, the display section seems to typically be in shambles (unlike Microsloth and Sony displays), as in unkept, boxes laying at odd angles, out of order, and so on (I crap you not, I see this often!), and to go a step further, all the freaking Wii games are mixed in with the Wii U games!!!

Well here is an observation, PS 2, PS 3, and the 360 were ALL backwards compatible to some extent or another, yet when they came out, did game shops sloppily mix in old generation titles with the next gen systems? Nope! They somehow managed to have the foresight to separate them, yet when it comes to the Wii U, everyone seems clueless, with the exception of Game Stop, they do manage to keep their titles divided per system. I'm not say it's a store to store conspiracy, like orders from corporate, but I would not put it past the employees who are gamers to have some resentment towards Nintendo and do such things on purpose, I mean I seriously can't think of any other explanation as to why this is.

The last straw that seems to be breaking the camel's back is how somehow or another (and this is fishy) that Game Stops are pulling certain Wii U titles off of pre-order, claiming that the title has been canned when they have not. I am very very curious as to what sets such disinformation in motion? It can not help Nintendo's sales in the least, let alone their already diminishing public image within the realm of home game consoles.

As for the employees who work at these retail chains, it would seem that hardly any of them know a thing about the Wii U them selves, and you would think they would have been educated by the company, so that when a customer asked a question about the big new system (last year) that they would be informed and experienced with the system enough to pull out answers on the fly as they do with the competing systems.
On top of that, I or friends have been talked down to like a fool on multiple occasions for merely asking a question about the Wii U, as if liking or having interest in the unit makes me some sort of un-informed door knob with nothing but bad an outdated tastes in gaming. I'm almost 40 after all, shouldn't I be playing adolescent titles like the rest of the big boys?

Trolling welcome and thank you!

Reactions: a9cito

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Here's some speculation I think rings tr--
6Ca4aXo.gif

Sorry, I've stepped into the wrong thread, bye! ;O;

(will read in spare time because "wall of text". :ph34r:)

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there one thing you are trying to say op, or is this a multiple topic post?

I'll pick out one thing from your post. WHO PRE-ORDERS A WII U GAME? Sure not me. It's not like there's going to be a bum rush on the Wii U version of any game. I went to gamestop to buy call of duty Ghosts on release day. No, I didn't pre-order it. They had it in stock, as a matter of fact, the clerk didn't even know where to find it. I was the first one person to purchase the Wii U version of that game in that store at about 6:00 PM.

I picked that out of your thread because somebody closed the other thread about pre-orders, while I was reading it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Is there one thing you are trying to say op, or is this a multiple topic post?

I'll pick out one thing from your post. WHO PRE-ORDERS A WII U GAME? Sure not me. It's not like there's going to be a bum rush on the Wii U version of any game. I went to gamestop to buy call of duty Ghosts on release day. No, I didn't pre-order it. They had it in stock, as a matter of fact, the clerk didn't even know where to find it. I was the first one person to purchase the Wii U version of that game in that store at about 6:00 PM.
Interesting. Luckily, I have located the Wii U section in my local supermarkets, so I have the geolocation advantage... unfortunately, none of those supermarkets sell the actual console - so far I've seen one (and I mean *one*, there weren't any more in the back or anything) in an expensive nerd shop and a couple imports online... and this lack of stock is not caused by the fact it's selling - quite the opposite. ;O;

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. Luckily, I have located the Wii U section in my local supermarkets, so I have the geolocation advantage... unfortunately, none of those supermarkets sell the actual console - so far I've seen one (and I mean *one*, there weren't any more in the back or anything) in an expensive nerd shop and a couple imports online... and this lack of stock is not caused by the fact it's selling - quite the opposite. ;O;

You have a geological advantage and only able to locate 1 (one) Wii U? Does that mean that 95% remaining people in your country are at a Wii U geological disadvantage?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You have a geological advantage and only able to locate 1 (one) Wii U? Does that mean that 95% remaining people in your country are at a Wii U geological disadvantage?
It meant that the Wii U doesn't "exist" in Poland, or more broadly speaking, Nintendo doesn't.

Back in the Gamecube days, there was one company (Robson) that took it upon themselves to distribute Nintendo goods nation-wide... and they're not doing that anymore because it flopped. This generation there was also one company (Stadbauer) which took it upon themselves to distribute Nintendo goods nation-wide... and they too are not doing it anymore because despite marketing, both the 3DS and the Wii U flopped big time around here. Hell, the PSVita sold more units in two weeks than the 3DS sold in two years in Poland, and it's not even selling all that great. The only way to get Nintendo products around here is to do it via online auctions or specialized stores that import the systems or... conjure them using forbidden magicks, I guess. :rofl2:

Nintendo didn't really give a damn about Eastern Europe back in the late 80'ties and early 90'ties so they don't have the nostalgia advantage here... which results in poor sales. The only systems I can think of that did relatively well here were the Game Boy/Colour/Advance and the Wii, really...

But I digress, this hardly applies to the world-wide situation. Also, I was sort-of making a joke there. :)

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It meant that the Wii U doesn't "exist" in Poland, or more broadly speaking, Nintendo doesn't. Back in the Gamecube days, there was one company (Robson) that took it upon themselves to distribute Nintendo goods nation-wide... and they're not doing that anymore because it flopped. This generation there was also one company (Stadbauer) which took it upon themselves to distribute Nintendo goods nation-wide... and they too are not doing it anymore because despite marketing, both the 3DS and the Wii U flopped big time around here. Hell, the PSVita sold more units in two weeks than the 3DS sold in two years in Poland, and it's not even selling all that great. The only option to get Nintendo products around here is to do it via online auctions or specialized stores that import the systems or... conjure them using forbidden magicks, I guess. :rofl2:

But I digress, this hardly applies to the world-wide situation. :)

I live in a town of about 8,000 + the rural population and four retailers here sell the Wii U. There's no excuse for a retailer to sell a PS or Xbox and not have the Nintendo unit right next to the others. The only way for retailers around here to quit selling Nintendo stuff is if Nintendo quit production.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I live in a town of about 8,000 + the rural population and four retailers here sell the Wii U. There's no excuse for a retailer to sell a PS or Xbox and not have the Nintendo unit right next to the others.
Sure there is, and that reason is "the product is gathering dust on the shelves and isn't selling at all, so we're shipping the stock elsewhere". I live in a 100 000+ city on the border of a 300 000+ city and, as I said, so far I found *one* Wii U locally in a store. :)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
My local Wal-Mart has the same 2 black Wii U consoles collecting dust on the shelves since the first time they stocked them
... of course, the idiots are trying to sell the things for an equivalent of $800 each and have NEVER lowered the price the whole time. Even considering that the standard price around here is down to about $500, that's still way too high.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some speculation I think rings true to a large extent.
Nintendo's home consoles have seemed to have been struggling since the days of the Gamecube. From what I witnessed (having worked in a Game Stop during this particular time period) is that the masses were caught up on the DVD Playback band wagon. Mind you, this was at a time when nearly everyone and their grandma already owned inexpensive APEX DVD players or what have you. Unlike the PS3 period and Blue Ray platyers, DVD players were not that expensive to acquire, yet due to media hype, blasting and blasting the same message over and over again, the blindly consuming masses got caught up on the repetition of the sensationalism, and were convinced that if their game console could not play back movies either, that it wasn't a game console worth having, despite the quality of games, abilities of the hardware, quality and comfort of the controller's design, and so on. So naturally the masses flocked to Sony who they were familiar and comfortable with thanks to the previous generation of consoles.
The XBOX began to catch up at the tail end, I'm sure again due to the fact that they had DVD play back abilities, and for the fact that near the end of the XBOX's life cycle, Microsoft had proven to the market place that they were here to stay, so the media echoed this and convinced the masses of this as a "fact" too.
If it were not for the Nintendo Gameboy Advanced and Nintendo DS, Nintendo would have suffered greatly during this game cycle period.

The next chapter to Nintendo's drama comes with the Nintendo Wii. Now, now not only does the Wii fail to deliver those much over hyped DVD playback abilities, but also fails to deliver in the next generation of video playback media, be it Blue Ray, or Microsoft's failed alternative. Further more the Wii did not try to make sales my tricking foolish consumers into thinking that just because their system had such and such amount of beef, that unique and quality games were destined to follow. Rather they stated facts in a very reasonable, logical, and honest manner...

...which just doesn't go over well in this 20th century inspired market place as inspired by Edward Bernays, where in the consumer is not urged to research his product, think practically, and to put his needs before their wants, but rather to allow them selves to be easily seduced by sensationalism, and the drive of their passions over their reason or needs.

Nintendo claimed that super expensive hardware was not required to produce a quality and unique gaming experience and what was needed was first off, a few good teams developers bent pushing the edge of video game entertainment not through polygons, wide expansive play fields, or his resolution textures, but upon innovative game design at it's core... the very essence upon which the history of video gaming had been built.

Yet sadly, Nintendo on the one hand did not prepare third party developers very well as it seemed to take them a few years to figure out what exactly to do with the new control mechanisms, and to make matters worse, by the time third party developers began to really get the swing of things (Ubisoft), most had lost their zeal and jumped ship.
There was also the fact that internet based game play was really catching on at the time, and Nintendo made hardly any efforts at all to play friendly with that, and instead tried to control the sway of established cultural connectivity, and insisted that people were not truly "together" when they were playing physically separated across the internet divide, and insisted that over all, players would have a better time if they were physically in the room together. Likewise they insisted that this would help bring families together, much like how a game of cards or Monopoly did for previous pre-video game generations.

While I greatly admire their efforts and perspectives on this matter, once again this was thwarted by the growing trend of on-line gaming, or rather the fact that so many Johnny Come Lately's were swooned by something that computer gamers have been enjoying for year!
Mind you, Nintendo's effort in this arena did manage to succeed to some extent. A lot of people of all ages and sex were coming together to play the Wii's family friendly titles and what have you, but alas the Wii became type casted by this image so to speak, and it became common perception that the Wii wasn't designed for hard core gamers, I.E. games featuring protagonists based upon 80's/90's low budget action movies, lots of sex, violence, cussing, and of course, what ever play mechanics were popular in other games that seemed to relay upon these elements. The Dragon's Layer esque button pressing game merged within nearly every game that comes out any more. So much for innovation or the desire for it for that matter.
Sadly, this was untrue. There were a great number of quality games released for the Wii, even a handful that did feature the above mentioned elements, though the majority of them in fact lacked them, but managed to stand of their merit of good gaming experience alone. Though the common consumer had no way of knowing about these titles because they were not marketed hardly at all, if at all for that matter. Secondly, every time you went to a game shop which at this point is a monopoly between Game Stop, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart, they only Wii games you would generally see on the shelf would be Nintendo's first party titles, and then a bunch of games for infants, old people, and other non-general gamers.
So I ask, if they stores did not put any effort into putting the vast library of quality Wii gems upon their shelves, then how was the average consumer to know that they existed. It would seem that this monopoly of the big three game retail stores have much to say in regards to the success or demise of a game console in this respect, that and the mal-informed game store representatives who never gave the Wii a fair chance, or like so many, have lost touch with the core spirit of gaming all together, and are instead quite satisfied with a market that churns out crass and adolescent game clone after clone, again depending upon the above mentioned elements, and of course better graphics, bigger bangs, and so on and so forth.

Finally we come to the Wii U, the situation has not changed. Again Nintendo is at large fault with this for not being better prepared, having a vision already in motion before the console's release, not spending the needing time preping third party developers, and alas not being clear to the average consumer as to what the Wii U is and why they would want it.

Fact of the matter is that most people I know, average TV watching, movie going consumers that is, don't even know that Nintendo has a new game system out. They think the Wii U is an upgrade to the Wii. To make matters worse, if you go to one of the big three monopolies to purchase a Wii U game, the display section seems to typically be in shambles (unlike Microsloth and Sony displays), as in unkept, boxes laying at odd angles, out of order, and so on (I crap you not, I see this often!), and to go a step further, all the freaking Wii games are mixed in with the Wii U games!!!

Well here is an observation, PS 2, PS 3, and the 360 were ALL backwards compatible to some extent or another, yet when they came out, did game shops sloppily mix in old generation titles with the next gen systems? Nope! They somehow managed to have the foresight to separate them, yet when it comes to the Wii U, everyone seems clueless, with the exception of Game Stop, they do manage to keep their titles divided per system. I'm not say it's a store to store conspiracy, like orders from corporate, but I would not put it past the employees who are gamers to have some resentment towards Nintendo and do such things on purpose, I mean I seriously can't think of any other explanation as to why this is.

The last straw that seems to be breaking the camel's back is how somehow or another (and this is fishy) that Game Stops are pulling certain Wii U titles off of pre-order, claiming that the title has been canned when they have not. I am very very curious as to what sets such disinformation in motion? It can not help Nintendo's sales in the least, let alone their already diminishing public image within the realm of home game consoles.

As for the employees who work at these retail chains, it would seem that hardly any of them know a thing about the Wii U them selves, and you would think they would have been educated by the company, so that when a customer asked a question about the big new system (last year) that they would be informed and experienced with the system enough to pull out answers on the fly as they do with the competing systems.
On top of that, I or friends have been talked down to like a fool on multiple occasions for merely asking a question about the Wii U, as if liking or having interest in the unit makes me some sort of un-informed door knob with nothing but bad an outdated tastes in gaming. I'm almost 40 after all, shouldn't I be playing adolescent titles like the rest of the big boys?

Trolling welcome and thank you!

That's a lot of words, sentences, and paragraphs just to say Nintendoomed.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure there is, and that reason is "the product is gathering dust on the shelves and isn't selling at all". I live in a 100 000+ city on the border of a 300 000+ city and, as I said, so far I found *one* Wii U locally in a store - the rest are online imports. :)

Shelf space here in the USA is plentiful. For the gaming consoles and games there are special dedicated cabinets, and there is always every brand of console for sale for current gen consoles.

They don't know how to organize the 3DS games though, when I look for 3DS games they're mixed in with the DS games. Nintendo should have made the 3DS cases a different color so they can be easily found among the DS games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Shelf space here in the USA is plentiful. For the gaming consoles and games there are special dedicated cabinets, and there is always every brand of console for sale for current gen consoles.

They don't know how to organize the 3DS games though, when I look for 3DS games they're mixed in with the DS games. Nintendo should have made the 3DS cases a different color so they can be easily found among the DS games.
Oh, the situation is very much the same here, but once a system gathers dust for over a year and not a single soul cares for it, stores get rid of whatever stock they have and don't order more, especially when the official distributor relinquishes distribution rights. There's plenty of consoles to go by - there's even OUYA's on shelves, but the 3DS and the Wii U died a natural death here and I don't think they'll kick off any time soon. Maybe when people start buying them online from independent sellers and the games start flying off the shelves, but I don't think the success will be spectacular.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Not to mention that the in store "demo units" don't even have any playable games just trailers of games...
Nintendo's marketing techniques have been too few and horribly inadequate when they were done.

Nintendo should listen to this, hire a proven marketing expert and get some 3rd party devs into a meeting to discuss what can be done on the system and get them excited to make games for it then keep in contact with said 3rd parties.

Reactions: Maxternal

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, the situation is very much the same here, but once a system gathers dust for over a year and not a single soul cares for it, stores get rid of whatever stock they have and don't order more, especially when the official distributor relinquishes distribution rights. There's plenty of consoles to go by - there's even OUYA's on shelves, but the 3DS and the Wii U died a natural death here and I don't think they'll kick off any time soon. Maybe when people start buying them online from independent sellers and the games start flying off the shelves, but I don't think the success will be spectacular.

I think all the retailers around here stock it because if they don't then the competition will the sale. I saw one store with an OUYA on the shelf, sad to say it wasn't in my home town. Not like I would buy one anyways, I just happened to notice it by the computer soffware and games, which wasn't in the same department as the gaming consoles which I find unusual because I thought the OUYA was suppose to be competition for the gaming consoles.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think all the retailers around here stock it because if they don't then the competition will the sale. I saw one store with an OUYA on the shelf, sad to say it wasn't in my home town. Not like I would buy one anyways, I just happened to notice it by the computer soffware and games, which wasn't in the same department as the gaming consoles which I find unusual because I thought the OUYA was suppose to be competition for the gaming consoles.

was the Ouya ever marketed?
back to the topic i do agree in one point i've encounter bunch of people back on the day turning their back to the wii because it didn't play dvds

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was the Ouya ever marketed?
back to the topic i do agree in one point i've encounter bunch of people back on the day turning their back to the wii because it didn't play dvds
I never saw the need to play dvd's on the Wii, even though my Wii was capable of playing burned discs. My way of thinking was Wii = $270, DVD player = $25, I wouldn't want to wear out my Wii playing movies in it when a dvd player was much cheaper.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read the op. Many of us have observations and it is not factual. A general rule is demand determines supply for stores. People discuss "no ads" but if you tune in to channels like Disney Junior you will find commercial carpet bombing. Basically pointing out what the Wii U offers and emphasizing it is a distinct/upgraded system.

That is the target audience. True, stores do not feature the Wii U and the games are presented with Wii games. Most stores I go to are set up this way. Trailers are displayed if there is a display unit. Also, the demo unit is tucked away out of site. I went to Wal-Mart and saw a tv with chairs and a ps3!!! Prominently featured in the center of the electronics department. Behind the register. One way to think of it is demand. Nintendo pushes Wii still, sticks Wii mini now, and why buy a game on a $300 system when you have a Wii and the game seems the same except a "U" in the name?

I love my Wii U. I accept it is another GameCube though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1