Gaming In search of a new game

disease

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if any of you could recommend me some games that are similar to Dragon Warrior Monster with the simple monster capture/train/breed type of system. I don't like pokemon and I have already played DQM:J. It doesn't have to be for DS as long as it's for NES/SNES/GBC. Basically as long as I can play it on my DS it will be cool. I have tried chrono trigger and other dragon quest type games like final fantasy and such but it's mostly the monster training system I enjoy the most. I heard Monster Rancher is similar but I cannot find the right version as there are a lot and some are japanese/card games. Thanks!

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
well, u could try dragon warrior monster on the gameboy color, there's a gameboy emu out there, so...

also, if i remember there is a fake pokemon diamond on the gameboy color out there that is basically an english translation of a jp game, that's a nice game as well.

err, on the ds, i think there are a few digimon games that let u catch/breed/train digimons.

disease

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mrfatso said:
well, u could try dragon warrior monster on the gameboy color, there's a gameboy emu out there, so...

also, if i remember there is a fake pokemon diamond on the gameboy color out there that is basically an english translation of a jp game, that's a nice game as well.

err, on the ds, i think there are a few digimon games that let u catch/breed/train digimons.

Thanks man. I have already played the original DWM to the death but I will definitely try to find the hacked japanese pokemon diamond. Do you have a link?

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if Snes is a choice for you as you say I would recommend Shin Megami Tensei I and II. Both have fan translations that are very well done.

It's an RPG in which you get a few human party members, but almost any monster in the game can be turned to your party by way of conversation or trading items. Then you can take all the monsters that have joined your team and combine them into new unique monsters. It's pretty difficult, but really has a focus upon capturing and training monsters.

Lately the series has branched off into the Persona series among many others over the years. There is a DS game in the series called Devil Survivor that should be coming out in the US soon.

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
disease said:
mrfatso said:

Thanks man. I have already played the original DWM to the death but I will definitely try to find the hacked japanese pokemon diamond. Do you have a link?

sorry i don't and anyway i can't paste rom links
frown.gif

but i can tell u this: the REAL name of the games are "Telefang: Speed Version" and "Telefang: Power Version".

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well if you havn't played the 2nd one on the gbc give that one a try,theres also Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart but I didn't like that one much compared to dqm1&2 or joker.....

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DQM Joker is a pretty feeble attempt at a game in my mind, the storyline is mediocre, short and finishing the game is rather easy. The lack of monsters is a big issue, DWM2 has more monsters then the original game, which alone had more monsters then Joker. While I didn't particularly like the story behind DWM2, the number of monsters to be collected was insane and kept you going forever, it really compared to Pokemon Gold/Silver in terms of sheer numbers to collect in one game at the time. Give Joker a try, just don't expect much because the game is pretty short and the monster breeding is rather lackluster since there are not as many choices, it's still cool to collect all the high powered boss monsters from the various Dragon Quest games of the past, although a lot are missing that could be obtained in DWM2. The original is still one of the best, and probably the hardest out of the series thus far, but thanks to hackers, the online play of DQM Joker is really bad.

disease

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
You have to wait for Dragon Quest Wars (providing you own a DSi and if not buy one soon) and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.

I probably won't be getting a DSi because I have an r4 and don't want to upgrade. Thanks for all the suggestions you guys! I will probably end up trying all the digimon games you guys suggested as well as the DWM2 games listed. Thanks again!

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hop2089 said:
You have to wait for Dragon Quest Wars (providing you own a DSi and if not buy one soon) and Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor.
Dragon Quest Wars isn't even a fricking adventure game, it's a garbage board game type of thing which screams fail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: where are my cute girls