In need of serious help

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Dylan, Mar 22, 2008.

Mar 22, 2008

In need of serious help by Dylan at 3:05 AM (1,118 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Dylan
    OP

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    Hi

I am really keen on learning how to make games with PAlib on my mac but I have no knowledge on the matter. I have all the software I need and im trying to learn C language coding but when I read this http://www.palib.info/wiki/doku.php?id=day2 there is so much I don't understand. I obviously need to learn some computer terms to help with learning C coding. Can some please link me to a wiki or book or anything that can help me. Feel free to email me at flyingv@tpg.com.au

Many people have said it is really hard to learn but I am dedicated and would really like to so please help me out.

Thanks

2. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

That page is probably as easy as it gets (lol @ all the comments someone added, it would've been nice if they just changed it rather then leaving the old stuff up there)
    Is there anything specific you don't get? You know what a variable is, correct? (I'm clueless as to how accelerated Aussie schools are)

3. Dylan
    OP

Australia
    Many of the terms I don't understand like all of this

Integer sizes are compiler and platform dependant. For example, GCC for arm9/arm has a 32-bit long and a 64-bit long long; ARM RVCT has 64 and 64; GHOC may be configured as you like. The CodeWarrior implementation in the official kit does not have a 64-bit native type at all; you have to roll one yourself from structures and assembly, or use the posix type, whose software implementation is pretty abominably slow. If this was true, std::numeric_limits would not need to exist, nor would a quarter of , nor would sizeof(). This is ridiculous. This is chapter one material in both K&R and Stroustrup. Please god, learn C/C++ yourself before attempting to teach it to others.

I have NO knowledge of any type of coding what so ever.

4. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

Those kinds of things are details you can ignore for now as a new coder, the detail put into that section was merely support for the correcter's statement that the original poster didn't have much idea what he was talking about. You won't need a 64 bit variable, trust me

EDIT: have you looked at the pdf guide the "bold" guy suggested at the beginning?

5. DarthNemesis

Member DarthNemesis GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Take the angry guy's advice and stop reading that mess of a guide. You're better off picking up a textbook and working through the exercises to build a strong foundation.

6. Dylan
    OP

Australia
    Yes I have the pdf but I think i will go and get a good textbook.

7. MaelstromVale

Newcomer MaelstromVale Member

United States
    I'd probably just read over an online tutorial. A popular one is:
    http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Learn C/C++ first and don't even bother trying to tie it into programming on the DS until you're comfortable with pretty much everything in the aforementioned tutorial. *Then* you can go through a palib wiki or something.

8. Grimalkin

Member Grimalkin Waaaaaaaah!

Canada
    http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=8353

View the tutorials there, they are very in-depth.

If you want to learn C fairly quickly, Bloodshed Dev-Cpp has the "How to learn C in 21 days" book built into the help files. Which was the same book I used when I first learned to program in C.