In moment like this, I wish I had a new gen console

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Vipera, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Vipera
    OP

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    So, I decide to move my bigass 27'' at the centre of the room, so I can play PC games wherever instead of the corner. Also playing games on the couch/bed with a controller. Awesome.

Steam Big Picture is the coolest thing ever, makes things much easier if I don't want to use a mouse! But the problems start right there: some game (like Saints Row 3) have a screen that asks you which Directx you want to use, and can't use your controller. Whatever, right? That's not much of an issue there.
    Then I start playing, or better, ''trying''.
    Before I go any further, I'd like to point out my specs: 3570k, gtx 650, 8gb 2133Mhz, Windows 7 ultimate. I have no games I cannot run.
    Still, I try with SR III: the game crashes after the menĂ¹. Aw, I have to validate files? All right, let me just play Portal 2 meanwhile! Halflife2.exe stopped working...? Awesome. What about GTA III? Thomas was alone? Come on, not fucking Thomas was alone!
    Fine...what's this? Batman Arkham Asylum? Cool, and it works! I'm already half the introduction...wait, what do you mean ''no internet connection''? Now I have to do it all over again? Fine...after three times I give up.

TL;DR prepared for a night of gaming on the couch, played The Darkness II for half a hour before going to sleep. I miss consoles. Pc master race my ass.

2. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I understand your concerns (they are the same as my own). This is a problem with relying on Steam, but really is a problem with DRM in general.

What I can suggest is to speak with your wallet and only support games (most released on the Humble Bundle site) and companies (CD Projekt Red? I think...) that don't use DRM.

From that point you can switch to using XBMC as your launcher instead of Steam Big Picture Mode.

3. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    This is what I hate about PC gaming sometimes. It's full of problems.