RELEASE In-Home-Switching: Stream your favorite PC-Games to your Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by jakibaki, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Actually your phone is probably more powerful than the switch. Most smart phones released in the last 3 years is more powerful than the switch

2. Kellicros

Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2006
    You do realize in order for this to work, the Switch has to be constantly recording video(and audio) then stream them to an external device right? The Switch itself hardly have enough power to run its own games. I seriously don't see this happening nor do I see any developers would invest their time in such redundant feature, especially with the dock/hdmi support readily available.

If you want to play your switch games on a PC or Laptop, your best bet is to use a Switch emulator, like the Yuzu.

landysmods likes this.
  3. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    Again, unless your a developer with the knowledge that it is technically not feasible, I don't understand why you make contrary comments towards the addition of the feature. People are asking for it, and since many less powerful devices can handle such a task like every other android device, why would you want to limit yourself to not having it on the switch, or not expect people to request it. If it were not counter productive to Nintendo selling nearly proprietary, and overpriced docks that are a major marketing scheme to the system, mirror casting would have likely been included natively from inception.

xeyatan likes this.
  4. TheRealNGB

TheRealNGB GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2017
    United States
    sorry, double post

5. landysmods

landysmods Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Australia
    Ok emulation sounds probable with streaming, but actual switch games might be a different beast

Kellicros likes this.
  6. xeyatan

xeyatan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2007
    Is there any way to tweak this program to stream a controller plugged to your pc to play on your switch? That would open so many doors.

7. masagrator

masagrator GBAtemp Regular

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Your idea is not even close to this app. So what "tweak" are you talking about?

8. xeyatan

xeyatan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2007
    I know it's farfetched. You can stream your pc and use the switch controllers as an xbox controller on your pc. I was wondering if it's somehow possible to stream your already plugged pc controller to the switch. Same as what adapters make possible.

9. masagrator

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    This app is using MPEG4 codec and video stream protocol.
    I don't say it's not possible to send controller input, but not in the same way this app is working.

xeyatan likes this.
  10. Geekyrulez

Geekyrulez Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    Indonesia
    So the SDK is out. I want to try putting hardware decoding for my own use. Any idea where to look hardware acceleration?
    Any idea whether this app or moonlight app can be published into the app store??

11. masagrator

Oct 14, 2018
    Poland
    Switch uses NVDec for hardware decoding. Noone has ported it to libnx for now (someone tries, but failed).
    Moonlight is still marked as unstable and not recommended by author, so it won't be in appstore unless author say so.

Last edited by masagrator, Feb 9, 2019
  12. pieresoft

pieresoft Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2018
    Hong Kong
    i cant stream to my switch. click connect but doesnt stream to Switch.nothing happen on switch Please help!

13. landysmods

landysmods Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Australia
    Probably need some more info for someone to help. Can you confirm your switch's IP address, and provide a screenshot of your PC Desktop?

14. Geekyrulez

Geekyrulez Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2019
    Indonesia
    I meant could somebody just apply to Nintendo by using moonlight app for legit SDK?

15. barnhilltrckn

barnhilltrckn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 12, 2016
    United States
    As soon as linx has the proper libraries this is EASILY done. The switch has the hw to decide the stream easily. Its basically a nvidia shield which has h264 decoding built into the hw. It's one of the main features of a shield. Even the old shield portable did it perfectly and it only has a tegra 4 which also has the same hw capabilities. Just give it time and its bound to happen.

16. Techjunky90

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Why would Nintendo consider letting someone do that? How does it make any sense, when Nintendo's partner, Nvidia, could just release their gamestream software on the switch.

17. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    Apple allowed it... and then blocked steam link, go figure.

I don't see Nintendo wanting either of these though.

18. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    The Tegra X1 even has hardware decoding for h265 according to an official PDF I just found a few days ago. Just as a side note. ;)

19. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
  20. Techjunky90

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    I can see Nvidia releasing their gamestream on the switch, but only because Nintendo & Nvidia have a future together

21. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    There is zero chance of Nintendo letting you play that many games on the Switch that they aren't getting a kickback for. If NVidia is charging for cloud streaming and gives Nintendo some profits that's one thing, but there's no reason to let Steam soak up all the actual purchase money that a free LAN streaming program would enable.