nWo

The Game Master
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I grew up with Nintendo so I was not used to accomplishment stuff until the Xbox One era. But now well, maybe a mix of game and system rewarding program would be cool.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've never really considered that, but I don't see why it should. Third party cheats would continue to exist with or without the system having built-in achievements, no?
Third party would but that also depending upon the extent of hacking done/available for the given revision/firmware.

It really does though. Level select, all unlocked and infinite whatever codes more or less vanished when such things came on the scene. A very few things will say "this might trouble it" but just as many seem to opt for none at all.

You can go a bit further as well
http://chrishecker.com/Achievements_Considered_Harmful?

I will ask another question for the general viewer here.
Would you be opposed to such a system if you and only you could see however many trophies or whatnot that you got?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i always liked how ubisoft club's system for this. Earn points for the achievements n now weekly/month challeges. The points then can be used on unlockables for any ubisoft title, even ubisoft titles you just started playing. I wish micosoft, sony and nintendo did this as well for titles.

nice. within 5 mins of me posting about ubisoft, someone tried to break into my ubisoft account. now i have to reset my password. Thanks alot! Everyone better watch out. someone lerking or who is a member here, is an account thief.

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
Third party would but that also depending upon the extent of hacking done/available for the given revision/firmware.

It really does though. Level select, all unlocked and infinite whatever codes more or less vanished when such things came on the scene. A very few things will say "this might trouble it" but just as many seem to opt for none at all.

You can go a bit further as well
http://chrishecker.com/Achievements_Considered_Harmful?

I will ask another question for the general viewer here.
Would you be opposed to such a system if you and only you could see however many trophies or whatnot that you got?
Interesting article you linked, although it touches more on the broader trend among game designers to prioritize extrinsic motivation on account of collected metrics data. Achievements, to the author, are seen as a result of that trend, and the article questions whether they are good for the industry as he believes the design ethos they're derived from is not.

Speaking more specifically about cheats, we saw a move away from cheat codes for numerous reasons, not least of which is profit (microtransactions). A platform holder certainly doesn't want their achievements system to be abused via cheats, so yes, that led to a crackdown on cheats, but plenty of developers still allowed cheats and mods with the added caveat of having achievements disabled. I think this move away from cheats was inevitable, with it without achievements, given today's industry focus on "live services" and secondary revenue streams.

And no, I would not be against an achievement system that only I could see. Achievements can get people to play games in entirely different ways, or try new things and extend a game's playtime beyond what its own content can offer. Having those achievements guaranteed by a stable platform as opposed to locked in a save file that you may lose gives them more weight.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I have seen no small amount of one time cheats becoming paid services (skate 3 was first time it reared its head for me) and don't doubt for a moment that some have gone there I am not sure they go hand in hand that well.

D

Deleted User

i always liked how ubisoft club's system for this. Earn points for the achievements n now weekly/month challeges. The points then can be used on unlockables for any ubisoft title, even ubisoft titles you just started playing. I wish micosoft, sony and nintendo did this as well for titles.

Agreed. As much as I hate Ubisoft's platform, their achievement system has been the best. There's an actual incentive to go after now, especially if it helps me unlock shit in other games. What Ninty needs to do is take their playcoin system from the 3DS, make it less gimmicky by tying it to achievements and allowing folks to use it for ingame/system items such as backgrounds, themes and the occasional unlockable.
i like this idea too

Reactions: chartube12

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We don't need achievements, developers want to test our skill as a player/gamer or want a poor excuse for us to keep playing a game we declared done with? Last time I checked, people created their own achievements. Silly but true, that's how the concept of speedrunning became a thing and those different categories like any % or "No using _____" or whatever. Besides, some are too easy to even be calling a achievement and some are near impossible to get just cause of stupid things like requires online play. "Play altered beast online with someone" News flash, NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY THAT GAME LET ALONE ONLINE OVER PLAYSTATION NETWORK. I don't think any achievement should exist that requires you to play online, it almost always %80 creates a impossibility of getting it.:nayps3:

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol