in-game music

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Blaze163, Jul 20, 2010.

?

Got any music from a video game on your MP3 player?

1. Yeah, plenty. Better than the charts IMHO.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only a few real life songs from Guitar Hero.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but now that you've mentioned it I may add some.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, most game music sucks.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't have music of any kind.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. What's music?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Moo.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jul 20, 2010

in-game music by Blaze163 at 9:55 PM (2,118 Views / 0 Likes) 29 replies

1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho!

Been thinking of the state of my MP3 folders on my DS. An alarming number of the songs I have on there are ones I've heard in a game of some kind, liked so much I swiped the MP3. I've got quite a few from the Final Fantasy series, etc. Naturally I have a fair bit of non-game music on there too, such as my Black Stone Cherry tunes and the like, but a fair chunk of it, a good 35-40% of it, has come from games. A fair percentage of those are actual real life songs that have featured in games like Guitar Hero, Burnout etc. Anyone else got that goin' on? Any examples? Anyone got a favourite song from gaming? I guess mine would have to be Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones, based on an incident on the bus. Was sat listening to it not long after I got GH3 and some little old lady sat behind me started going on at length about 'kids today and their awful rap music'. Then taps on my shoulder demanding that I turn off my Eminem because it offends her. The look on her face when I gave her my headphones and she discovered it was the Stones was unbelievably hilarious.

Also, anyone use the 360's facility to switch out the in-game tunes for your own music? I do every now and then. Incidentally, anyone know of any PS3 games with that facility? I know Burnout Paradise does it, but that's the only one I've discovered thus far.

2. Jotokun

Member Jotokun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have much more music from video games than I do actual songs. A good portion of that has to do with the fact that I hate vocals in music, and video games rarely have vocals.

I've played my own music over games before if the background music isnt that great(or is non-existant) but most of the time I leave it alone since I feel messing with the music can really ruin the experience, especially in genres like RPGs and Survival Horrors.

3. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    In case anyone's curious, I found this list of PS3 games that allow custom sound tracks. I like the ability to play my own music, it helps me focus (IE: playing the 'Summoned Beast Battle' song from FFX during boss battles) and it'd be nice if all PS3 games supported this feature instead of this rather paltry display.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlaySta..._date_ascending

Strange to see Rock Band on there. It's hard enough under the best conditions, let alone when the music doesn't match the notes.

4. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  5. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom

I don't even have that sort of storage, never mind that many files. Seriously. The only way I could have that many files would be to delete everything off every memory card I have, totally wipe my laptop's hard drive, and store a few GB on my PS3.

6. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    This also doesn't count music from the Touhou series, which occupies a separate folder of about the same size.

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The only video game music that I actually listen to:

- No More Heroes 1 and 2 soundtracks
    - Alan Wake soundtrack
    - SSBB soundtrack
    - MadWorld soundtrack
    - Metal Gear Solid soundtracks

There's also some other decent soundtracks. Fallout has a bunch of oldies on Galaxy News Radio, and while they get repetitive and are, as I said, oldies, they start to grow on you.

Halo actually has a pretty good sound score. No matter how much you hate the game, you still have to acknowledge a decent soundtrack when you listen one.

Some of my favorites:

8. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I am, and always will be addicted to the Chrono games soundtracks. Videogame music is generally so much better than all the mainstream shit you hear these days

9. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Have these?
    [​IMG]

Uematsu and Mistuda are really two of the greatest video game composers of the era.

EDIT: Not to mention Resolution Trigger which the filter missed.

10. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    [​IMG] Holy ........ Never expected anyone to actually have about 100GB of game music.

11. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    Oh, do want all of these!

12. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom

13. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States

14. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    I bought the cd + book... was about $40 or 50... totally worth it! [​IMG]

edit:

15. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    gotta love f-zero tracks [​IMG]

unless you're not into guitar.

16. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hahah actually, I have....and the Chrono Cross soundtrack, ofcourse. I really want to read Kirite but sadly I don't have the slightest clue on how to read Japanese

17. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    Gimme proper music like that over the latest verbal diarrhea from manufactured oversexualised pop sluts like Rihanna any day. Seriously, does anyone else remember when music was considered an art form, when it had subtlety and you could break it down on an intellectual level? Now all we have is a billion different songs all saying 'I'm horny, do me' to the sort of tune I could create given five minutes with my six year old nephew's toy keyboard. It's absolute shite, the charts these days. Everything's sold on sex and violence as opposed to any sort of talent or beauty, it's distressing.

Music in the gaming industry doesn't suffer from that problem quite so much because it covers the needs of the robotic morons of today's society by pumping out endless macho space marine Gears Of War/Halo ripoff shooters to shut up the fools, leaving the musicians to work undisturbed for the most part. Think about how much the music in gaming, especially in RPG's in my experience, greatly enhances the mood. A good example from Metal Gear Solid 2 earlier, a tune for a battle that gives an immediate sense of tension and excitement.

God save us if gaming ever has to fully cater for the sort of people who still tune in to the top 40 and have the latest of Rihanna's failed attempts at hiding a million thinly veiled dick references in tunes most of us could create on the original Music PS1 game...

Sorry, got a bit ranty there. Carry on.

18. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Bulgaria
    Ooh, Just found out that Alien Swarm lets you add your own MP3s to play during panic events.
    Nothing like the Prodigy when you're shooting at aliens in slow motion.

On the other hand, I need some more music from video games for my phone. Sadly, I'm rather picky so I only have a few select tracks from a few games that I listen to, stuff like "Megaman 2 - Dr.Wily's theme on guitar" and "One Winged Angel". Nothing hardcore, just simple video game music. Could use a lot more, though.

19. SoraKeyofFate

Newcomer SoraKeyofFate Advanced Member

Canada
    In my opinion the Final Fantasy series was HEAVILY depended on the music. If it weren't for Uematsu and others, the games wouldn't have been as awesome as they are. I really think that a great demonstration of this is the FFX ending. (Then again, maybe its because I'm so touched by the story xD) It gets really beautiful at around 1:35

20. Blaze163
    OP

United Kingdom
    I think the music is a key part of the Final Fantasy experience as it enhances the atmosphere considerably. My personal example is again from FFX but I go for the battle against the possessed Aeons right at the end. The music there is so dramatic and enhances what would have been a fairly decent fight to being a great and epic final battle. If only Yu Yevon wasn't such a pussy and that music had been playing for one final huge battle against the sort of uber godly goliath we're used to fighting at the end of FF games instead of a purple turd...

In case you're not familiar with the tune, here it is. I sub this in for the battle music in RPG's when I really need to concentrate on a tough battle because it gives such a sense of drama and urgency it keeps me focussed. Strange but true.