In Desperate Need Of Help With Semi-Brick

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Labatryth, Mar 14, 2011.

Mar 14, 2011
  1. Labatryth
    OP

Member Labatryth Christian Fantasy Writer

United States
    Hey guys,

So here's my long, sad story. I bought my Wii from a friend about a year ago. He sold it to me for a very good price, but told me beforehand that it wouldn't play games. I thought I'd be able to fix it, so I took him up on the offer and bought the system. At this time, it was running 3.2u firmware, and was completely unmodified, at least to the best of my knowing. There was no Homebrew Channel on it. Also the official Nintendo default channels such as the Mii Channel, Weather, Forecast, and others that came with it were broken and threw up a black screen followed by "An error has occurred. Press the Eject button and power off" and WiiConnect24 would freeze with a black screen when I tried to enable it. However I didn't care too much, as my main intention was to hack the console, and so I upgraded from 3.2u to the current Nintendo 4.2u firmware. Then I used HackMii .6 to install Bootmii as Boot2 and IOS, and also installed the Homebrew Channel. I don't remember what version it was, but it wasn't 1.0.8 as I have now. I used the guide for 4.2u softmod on WiiHacks.com to do all of this. Once everything was installed, I still had the non-working channels and the Wii still wouldn't play disc games. A black screen bearing the words "An error has occurred" pops up when I insert a disc. It actually crashes the Wii system menu and everything.

I've had this problem ever since I bought this Wii, and have only been able to use homebrew software on it. I have installed USB-access IOSes to play music and read files off of USB and all, but I have not installed anything to boot commercial game files of of a USB drive. It may be illegal, and so I have not messed with it. I think it's pitiful that I'd have to stoop to pirating games just because I couldn't read normal game discs on my Wii. Lately I have become so frustrated I just kept my Homebrew Channel(1.0.8) and updated to Nintendo's official 4.3u firmware. I was hoping a new system menu from Nintendo would fix all the corruption or whatever that might be causing the disc read and channel errors.

I used the ModMii wizard to re-hack my 4.3u Wii to 4.1u, with a full soft-mod. I followed all directions ModMii gave me exactly, and everything installed correctly, except for Priiloader. It couldn't find some config INIs and therefore would not install. I still have the black screen channel problem and my Wii still won't play crap. I'm ready to throw it against the wall, but that won't solve anything. I even took it apart with my dad's help and replaced the laser in it. That fixed nothing. It's still broken like before, and I also saw that my friend may have gotten into the Wii before me, since we noticed some fingerprints around the laser area. I don't know what he did to the system. I just pray I can fix it. I don't really even know WHO did the system in, but oh well.

I should tell you I have a 4.2u unhacked NAND backup with the KEYS.BIN that I made shortly after installing BootMii as Boot2 for the first time. I hadn't hacked any more before making the backup. I should be safe in case something goes wrong. I already restored my Wii to that backup once, and have pretty much gone from there. After having to downgrade and upgrade my system menu so many times, I wanted to make sure I didn't screw up anything in my Wii. As I said, it's now running 4.1u system menu. ModMii made it install that(I chose 4.3u to 4.3u), and everything seems to be working as well as before. I REALLY REALLY want to play Super Mario Galaxy on my Wii, and would really appreciate any help to get this console working like new again. I don't know if the problem is hardware error or corruption in the software/firmware. It's not in the system menu, or upgrading would fix it. It's not the laser, or the new laser would fix it. It could be the drive assembly, but how am I supposed to know what is causing the problems?! Homebrew hasn't seemed to do much for it.

The weird thing is that after I wait awhile without using my Wii, which is very hard, actually, the channels will start working again. Sometimes I'm able to turn on WiiConnect24, and also am able to have unrestricted access to every single channel on my Wii. I usually have to wait a month or a week before this all works, but as you can see that is totally impractical for a general game-play schedule. Regardless of the working channels, my discs still error in the disc channel. It's a soft "The disc could not be read" or something error. WTF? I have some forwarder channels installed that link to homebrew, and all of those work 100 percent. Homebrew seems to be unaffected by my sad, diseased system.

So now I guess I will end by asking what I should do. It seems as if I am out of options and need to get a new system, but, is there hope? Thanks for reading, and I eagerly await your reply.

Labatryth

2. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Im sorry but I refuse to read that much material. What the hell is the problem? what is not working? have you tried updating everything on the system I doubght that will fix the disc read problem but could. It's most likely the drive is dead buy a new one or get a wode.

3. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I really have no idea what could be wrong with your wii but I know one thing, I would certainly give usb loading a try. Do you know you can back up your own disks through most usb loaders? Or would you consider that pirating. Usb loading beats using disks anyday.

4. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    That is one hell of a long winded post. Agreeing to a point. Its not that I refuse to read it, its just I don't know where in the world to start with an answer.

1) This is not semi bricked, you should edit the title.
    2) This sounds like an IOS issue, it sounds like you would have ruled this out by using modmii though

A very good start for you, since you can launch homebrew, launch syscheck and post up a full system check.
    To me this sounds like a case of this wii has been cioscorpped/darkcorped and now its in a fubar state and needs a fresh system menu install along with your IOS'.
    Hopefully that syscheck should shed more light.

A laser/drive/disc problem would cause you no problem with things like the Mii channel so rule out a new drive.

Good point by Neotank, you get the same issue with usb loaders?

5. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Here is my SysCheck Report

I am on 4.1u firmware.

=======================
    sysCheck v2.0.1 by Double_A
    ...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
    System Menu 4.1U (v449)
    Hollywood v0x11
    Console ID: 45990255
    Boot2 v4

Found 69 titles.
    Found 48 IOS on this console. 6 of them are stub.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
    IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
    IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
    IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
    IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
    IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
    IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
    IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
    IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
    IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
    IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
    IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
    IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
    IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
    IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
    IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
    IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
    IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
    IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
    IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
    IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
    IOS50 (rev 14889): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
    IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
    IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
    IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
    IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
    IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
    IOS58 (rev 6176): No Patches
    IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
    IOS70 (rev 16687): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS80 (rev 6944): Trucha Bug NAND Access
    IOS202 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS222 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS223 (rev 4): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS224 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
    IOS249 (rev 21003): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS250 (rev 21003): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
    IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
    BC v6
    MIOS v4

Report generated on 2011/03/14.

6. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Well thats weird. Dark/cios corp should be showing as all trucha bugged and nand access. Bit weird seeing it on random ios'.
    I can see sort of issues, but I'm not 100% on how you fix em due to strange version numbers. Someone else should hopefully come along and help you more.
    But I reckon a first good step would be reinstalling those IOS' that are saying trucha bug and nand access but under 200.

There is no need for trucha bug in any ios under 200. Anything like that and pretty certain its a corp fucked machine.

Dop mii may just work installing which ones are fucked. But I imagine the version number issue may cause you problems

7. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    MultiModManager gives you the choice to install older versions, even if they are max'd out. Used it plenty of times

8. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Well then where do I begin?

9. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=208281

The app itself is pretty self explainatory. The IOS manager lists all IOS's installed and their versions. The bottom of the screen gives you controls to delete, installer, upgrade and downgrade. The max'd out versions shouldn't be a problem. Give it a whirl and see how you go

10. Hells Guardian

United States
    wait Darkcorp or whatever was installed? then it didn't install correctly.

11. Labatryth
    OP

United States

Okay. But how on earth do I keep from deleting or updating the wrong IOSes? I didn't see a guide. I have one Wii, and I don't want to update or delete the wrong thing or it's all over for me.

12. Hells Guardian

United States
    just use modmii it has a built in walkthrough of everything and even downloads and prepares the files for you. then just install all the .wad files you get and that should take care of your IOS trouble.

13. bazamuffin

United Kingdom
  14. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    You need a new DVD drive

15. Labatryth
    OP

United States

How are you sure? And what kind of drive?

16. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i agree with MauiFrog...this looks like a hardware failure issue....all software appears normal

ebay is probably your best friend here....

17. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    Alright! Thanks!

18. M1r0

Member M1r0 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If you don't want to do all that, you could try SNEEK or UNEEK. It emulates the wii, so you might not have all these problems. Just install a usb loader channel on your wii, and make backups and play from there.

19. Labatryth
    OP

United States
    I cannot make backups with a non-working DVD drive. I will try SNEEK, but I can't even figure out how to begin this stuff. Guess I'll just have to take my time.

20. Labatryth
    OP

United States

Okay so I get the same "An error has occurred" when trying to launch my game via USB. I am so frustrated right now...

Can words describe it?