In a bit of a fix here...

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by rhoelsch, Aug 28, 2007.

Aug 28, 2007

In a bit of a fix here... by rhoelsch at 5:51 PM (973 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. rhoelsch
    OP

Newcomer rhoelsch Member

United States
    Gentlemen, I'm in need of some sage advice here: I have a EZ4 Mini SD that works great for my GBA, but I want to get a DS very soon. Now, I don't have a nopass-- I understand the most compatible is the EZPass3, but I they're out of stock here in the states. Anywhere else, overseas shipping will cost me about $20. I can get a slot 1 like an R4 or a EZV for $40-$45 here, but my EZ4 will already run GBA and DS games, so that might not be my best option. I don't want to flash because with my luck, I'll brick my new DS, so that's out. I know of no one here that has a card I can borrow to flash it. Compatability is important, as is brew,emu and future support. Should I use my EZ4 for Slot 2, and pay $40 for an EZV for everything else? Paying a $35 for a ezpass3 plus shipping from winsunx is an option, but at that price, I might as well get a new slot 1 here, right? Opinions and suggestions welcome!

2. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

r4s have a built in nopass ( I forgot what it's called cause i never use it :] ) so if you don't want your ez4 to go to waste, you could get a small micro sd (you need a micro sd in order for an r4 to work) for it then you could use it to boot your ez4 and you could put anything that isn't compatible with the ez4 on the remaining space on the micro sd for the r4

3. rhoelsch
    OP

Newcomer rhoelsch Member

United States
    What additional stuff can the R4 do for me over the EZ4? (need to make myself feel better for spending over $70 more for that and a microSD) :'(

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    The EZ-V works as a nopass too, but like the R4 it needs a microSD card to work.
    http://ezflash.sosuke.com/wiki/index.php?t...PassMe_function

If I was you I'd stick with the EZ-IV (assuiming there's a sensible price difference between a passme and the slot1+microSD solutions). The cartridge will stick out if you get a DS-lite, so you'll have to take it out to put the DS in a case of any sort and carry it separately when travelling but I got on just fine my old GBA cart so it's not really a problem. Take a look around on the EZ Sosuke forums, I noticed a mumuring of certain passme's being better than others for the EZ-IV (or wait for someone who actually has an EZ-IV and knows more about this stuff than I do to wander in, Fast I'm looking at you [​IMG] )

5. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

An r4 with a 1gig card is only 56 bucks at dealextreme (the package is listed as "back ordered", so it'd be faster/more reliable to just get them seperate, which is 60 bucks) and they tend to be more compatible with things then slot 2 devices (if they aren't dldi compatible [fanboyism set aside]). Besides that you'd be getting an extra gig of space without having another card to loose [​IMG], and if you don't need the room, you should be able to fit a full length movie (compressed to mpeg and converted to dpg) with like 100mb to spare

6. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Maybe you should consider an an N-Card or clone as these are the cheapest slot-1 and have built in 1GB memory for only little more than a passme device. The n-card can also be used as a passme for your ez4 as well as play dsroms itself.

Check www.dealextreme.com for the cheapest prices.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2069

7. villa_bryan

Newcomer villa_bryan Advanced Member

United States
    get a cyclo they kick ass. if ur gonna spend 40 might as well spring an extra twenty and get a good card. haha, besides nds isn't perfect on a slot 2.

8. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Stare directly into the souls of the R4 and CycloDS until your loins burn. That's when your true companion emerges.

9. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    So what your trying to say is the n-card/clones isn't a good card. LEt me guess you dont have a clue about the n-card/clones and the only card you have ever used is a cyclo.

10. villa_bryan

Newcomer villa_bryan Advanced Member

United States
    that haha was meant to be taken in its usual context, as in "what i said earlier was a joke." i'm sorry sarcasm doesn't translate so well into text.

but don't worry i picked up on ur arrogance and insecurities. so i'll make you feel better: you know more than i do, and your obviously smarter.

anyways check out the cyclods forums. teamcyclops.com/forum and then read the bug report forums, and the general discussion. you'll see how good their support is, and from what i understand slot-2 nds support isn't the best.

11. sasuke_kun12

Member sasuke_kun12 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I'm staring at them, and the cycloDS is makig my loins burn.............

mah as someone stated, not all roms are compatible (or something like that) I suggest, you get an R4 and do this
    R4 = roms, music, videos
    Ez flash IV = GBA roms, Homebrew
    thats what i would do, if i had to follow my heart