In 20 years what gaming techologies we have today will seem unfairly dismissed/held back?

tempy_thinker.png

In general technology it is popular to look back at what people have and what people dismiss, and what could have happened had they not dismissed. For instance the technology for mobile phones existed for many decades before they became an expensive fad for executives, the idea that programmable mobile phones started with the iphone is laughed at but they did at least make it popular such that the common man might thank that, digital cameras probably could have come around years before, 3d printers in many cases were said to have been held back by patents which expired a few years back, and this could go on for a long time. Computer games themselves were once dismissed as a toy fad by many, a matter not helped by the little crash, and in some cases arguably still are. Now technology does move on and make things possible that were impossible before, computers and gaming thereupon being one of the best examples of this, however this is not what will happen if you have a the equivalent of supercomputer today under your TV that can sense your fingers so much as twitch (or indeed read your mind) but what you could have today but will likely only see in 20 years.

In this case I asked some time back for some games to justify wiimotes, and the validity of motion controls in general is often questioned, despite some great efforts from homebrew developers at the time. Maybe you are a fan of the Steam controller and find its demise heartbreaking. In games we often talk about firsts when digging up old history of things, and it is only natural to ask what if that took off at that point. The state of VR and 3D and whether they had once more failed to take hold was an earlier discussion in this thread series. One of the big points of discussion in E3 a few years back was "second screen", which does indeed speak to a fundamental part of gaming (as in quite literally a fundamental part of game theory as it allows different players to have different information) but as few people have any memories of anything there, other than technicalities with online/network games, it tells you what happened to that particular one.
Will any of those be looked back to in 20 years with people asking why could we not have had this back then? Do you have any particular overlooked pieces of hardware, technology, gameplay styles or similar? At the same time do you have anything you enjoy now you could have had said 20 years ago but were not given. Some allowances can be made for expense as well; the inaccuracy of the wiimote means it was never likely to take over, however not all that more investment could get it comparable with some other things.

This is part of a discussion series in which we discuss and ponder things about games, be it individual games, aspects of the game industry, gaming culture, mechanics or gaming concepts. Previously we discussed your best story from free form games .

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Well, you can't say Nintendo never tried to improve controller. Every home console since the NES had its own controller model :
a2db4fbf53addd65e47919dad71d9f48.png

And about some underrated technology :

Agree nintendo did try to be unique with their controllers every gen but now they're embracing the standard playstation/xbox layout.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agree nintendo did try to be unique with their controllers every gen but now they're embracing the standard playstation/xbox layout.
sega's probably the only one not to use the standard layout but that's because of the fact they didnt even live long enough in the console market to see the new layout

Reactions: Tarmfot

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Most of the stuff on that controller went relatively unused
the only thing about it that was worth it was the satellite style Dpad (which marks the first time in history where an xbox controller was actually good for 2d fighting games) but that's not going to help the lack of gyro and overall useless extra features.
overall i really can't think of any good ways to improve the current controller scheme we have- extra triggers would just hamper the experience considering that your hands rest on the back of the controller, so putting triggers back there would just equate to unessacary button presses.
Maybe using the sega genesis 6 button style layout over the boring abxy would help but that's all i can think of and that only really benefits fighting games.
Well current gen games arent really made for the elite controller and no games are exclusive to it but even ms knew that the standard controllers has a lot of room for improvements.

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I respect Nintendo innovation.
I don't say they never made mistakes, but they dared to try.

this picture tells everything :
ecaf215882feb905c9c5f6bc44c130db.jpg
Nintendo innovated in the wrong way imo
it wasnt about trying to radically change the design- it was just about taking what worked and improving upon it.
nintendo controllers just radically fluctuated and it made them unnatural and odd, even if they're iconic
but all the other companies went too far in the other direction- not innovating at all and just retreading the same steps
with the exception of sony who found a perfect balance between adding new and improving old with the PS4 controller (and ps5 with haptic feedback and whatnot)

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
The Wiimote pointer. Or sth similar.
Just as gyro is in many controllers now, I could potentially see a pointer solution in future controllers - even if it is a two-handed one. There was actually a 3rd party controller for Wii/Wii/ which looks like a normal gamepad but has a pointer. It had technical issues, so I didn´t buy it, but I wonder what it feels like. Of course, I personally will always be a fan of Wiimote+Nunchuk.

MockyLock

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Playstation/xbox layout ? well, that's them who followed some prevous layout :
D-Pad ? Game&Watch
ABXY button layout ? SNES
L/R buttons ? SNES
Select/start ? NES
Central button ? N64

the only layout a bit different is the joysticks layout coming from XBOX.

Even moving from left thumb and action from right thumb comes from Game&Watch. You should remember that before, you had consoles like Atari2600, where you moved using your right hand, and the action button was on the left.
Just switching the action of each hand for the G&W was a huge risk.

Reactions: Sumasuun

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Microsoft... making essentially the same average contoller more comfortable over the past 2 decades... and the d-pad's are always the worst thing - ESPECIALLY for fighting games!!!
Nintendo... innovation - if innovation means having a 25% success rate in what's actually a "good" controller.
Sega... created great controllers that did what they needed to, tried something "innovative" with the Dreamcast (which was doing what the Wii U tried a decade and a half later), then they died.
Sony... if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

64bitmodels

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Microsoft... making essentially the same average contoller more comfortable over the past 2 decades... and the d-pad's are always the worst thing - ESPECIALLY for fighting games!!!
Nintendo... innovation - if innovation means having a 25% success rate in what's actually a "good" controller.
Sega... created great controllers that did what they needed to, tried something "innovative" with the Dreamcast (which was doing what the Wii U tried a decade and a half later), then they died.
Sony... if it ain't broke don't fix it.
wait, you consider sega and sony the only good controller manufacturuers??

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wait, you consider sega and sony the only good controller manufacturuers??
No. I like the 360 controller, but it's dreadful for anything requiring the d-pad. I like the SNES controller a lot, it's almost perfect. I also like the Gamecube controller a lot, although it's weird face button size/shape/placement mismatch is dreadful for certain games. And I quite like the Wii U gamepad despite how uncomfortable it is.

Sega nailed it for the 16bit and 32bit gens, and the DC controller was innovative for it's VMU integration but it was more uncomfortable than the original Xbox controller - both of which literally made my thumbs bleed.
All I can say against Sony's controllers is they're not particularly original.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thankfully a lot of them had alternatives.

Is amazing how many Wii games can use the Gamecube controller and they don't even tell you in the manual.
a lot afaik actual games not counting wiiwarte/vc titles only 50 or so games had gc/CC support considering the wii had over 1500 games, that is basicaly 3% of wii games that had gc controller/CC support...

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel like VR will never gain the quality software traction it deserves. The serious lack of polished well-made triple-A titles is killing itself. We have what... Resident Evil 7, Doom VFR, Half-Life Alyx, and uh... Beat Saber? Everything else I've seen just looks like a shallow cash-grab at VR. Like tech demos that never see completion. I'm saddened that VR still sucks after all these years, and the sky-high prices are also not helping. VR hardware shouldn't cost as much as a new gaming console. Bring VR costs down to about $75-$100 USD and then we're talkin. But as of right now, the software needs to mature, and the hardware needs massive price cuts if it wants to gain more traction. And for the love of fuck, DITCH THE WIRES!!!

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
a lot afaik actual games not counting wiiwarte/vc titles only 50 or so games had gc/CC support considering the wii had over 1500 games, that is basicaly 3% of wii games that had gc controller/CC support...

Actually, is more than that if you count the ones that let you use the CG controller for multiplayer and or minigames.

The Wiimote was good for simple games but any fighting game that didn't have CG controller support was doomed.

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games_with_traditional_control_schemes

Good thing I both have the classic controller and Gamecube controllers.

I should try to play some of these games again with those two.

Last edited by raxadian,

Paulsar99

Trophies
XP
Country
Togo
Playstation/xbox layout ? well, that's them who followed some prevous layout :
D-Pad ? Game&Watch
ABXY button layout ? SNES
L/R buttons ? SNES
Select/start ? NES
Central button ? N64

the only layout a bit different is the joysticks layout coming from XBOX.

Even moving from left thumb and action from right thumb comes from Game&Watch. You should remember that before, you had consoles like Atari2600, where you moved using your right hand, and the action button was on the left.
Just switching the action of each hand for the G&W was a huge risk.
I was talking about the switch pro controller being really similar to the playstation/xbox controller layout and not really talking about which company started this or that.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I was talking about the switch pro controller being really similar to the playstation/xbox controller layout and not really talking about which company started this or that.

The Pro really reminds me to a Xbox 360 controller in looks at the very least.

Sadly not all games are 100% compatible.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Actually, is more than that if you count the ones that let you use the CG controller for multiplayer and or minigames.

The Wiimote was good for simple games but any fighting game that didn't have CG controller support was doomed.

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games_with_traditional_control_schemes

What are you calling simple games? The Wiimote+Nunchuk setup works for ALL genres except fighting games. And I would argue Smash could be played just as well with it, but people (including me) are just not used to it. But Smash is a special fighting game.

Last edited by UltraDolphinRevolution,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

even with that list cc+gc is only 78 games out of 1543... calling that "a lot" doesnt qualify lol.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What are you calling simple games? The Wiimote+Nunchuk setup works for ALL genres except fighting games. And I would argue Smash could be played just as well with it, but people (including me) are just not used to it. But Smash is a special fighting game.
"Special"... yeah... Proper fighting games can't... although for that matter the Gamecube controller is shit for 'proper' fighting games too. I used to use a PS2 controller via an adaptor to play CvS2eo on GC. The official classic controller for the Wii was the better option on that system when it came to the likes of Tatsunoko vs Capcom.

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
"Special"... yeah... Proper fighting games can't... although for that matter the Gamecube controller is shit for 'proper' fighting games too. I used to use a PS2 controller via an adaptor to play CvS2eo on GC. The official classic controller for the Wii was the better option on that system when it came to the likes of Tatsunoko vs Capcom.
I already agreed. My point was: Do you call all other genres "simple"?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.