Homebrew Question Improving Graphics on Retroarch Cores

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was just curious if theres a way to improve the graphics of PSP, PS1 and N64 Cores with possible shaders or settings..
PS1 emulation runs well but looks abit rough around the edges, same goes for most cores.
does anyone have a suggestion?

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
Sorry i meant.. is there a way to Upscale the graphics.
make them look fresher and smoother.
I've messed with Core settings before aswell as shaders.

Upscaling is not available right now because we don't have a hardware renderer for RetroArch at this time (AFAIK??). You can up the resolution, and apply a shader which should help for most games though.

Reactions: DerekGeneric831

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
Ah shame, thanks anyway!

Try the 2xHQ shader in the 2x folder - I use it for GBA and it scales nicely in handheld mode. (1080p docked is still.... mushy??)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Try the 2xHQ shader in the 2x folder - I use it for GBA and it scales nicely in handheld mode. (1080p docked is still.... mushy??)
I mean, I know you are playing playstation, but that shader should be better on PSX I think too.

DerekGeneric831

DerekGeneric831
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I mean, I know you are playing playstation, but that shader should be better on PSX I think too.

I've actually been using that exact Shader for gba lately too! Hahah it works pretty well! I find on playstation it needs something to smooth out the graphics abit more however the other shaders seem too intense for Retroarch

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
I've actually been using that exact Shader for gba lately too! Hahah it works pretty well! I find on playstation it needs something to smooth out the graphics abit more however the other shaders seem too intense for Retroarch

Overclock that bad boi's GPU and RAM then (Google sys-clk) If you need help with config, PM me!

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Shaders are hardware GPU programs. By definition, they only work when accelerated by a GPU with a functioning graphics API (in this cases, OpenGL.)

If you mean rendering resolution, this is per-core and in the Quick Menu options with a game loaded. PPSSPP and Mupen64plus-next both have these available. If you mean literal upscaling, that's using shaders and you've already found that. You might want to turn off billinear filtering if the problem is blur.

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
Shaders are hardware GPU programs. By definition, they only work when accelerated by a GPU with a functioning graphics API (in this cases, OpenGL.)

Use a shader in RA, they work fine but they take up so much CPU due to lack of hardware acceleration AFAIK. I might need to re-check my source and confirm it's accurate though (My source is m4xw)

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Use a shader in RA, they work fine but they take up so much CPU due to lack of hardware acceleration AFAIK. I might need to re-check my source and confirm it's accurate though (My source is m4xw)
Yea. No.
I can't remember saying that.
What you probably mean is specific to pcsx, where everything is actually software rendered and we wouldn't have room to up the res, even if the renderer would support it.
RA (even with pcsx) is using GL, just the core itself doesn't use it.

Reactions: chaoskagami

stitchxd

Trophies
Website
gnusocial.me
XP
Country
United States
Yea. No.
I can't remember saying that.
What you probably mean is specific to pcsx, where everything is actually software rendered and we wouldn't have room to up the res, even if the renderer would support it.
RA (even with pcsx) is using GL, just the core itself doesn't use it.

I know I was getting something mixed up, thanks for the correction!

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the other alternative is using cores native texture replacement features to load in HD texture packs for games where someone compiled a bunch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr