Improving graphics of PSX games on PSP possible?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Shakedaddy, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Shakedaddy
    OP

Shakedaddy Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2009
    United States
    With some great and helpful advice from this forum I recently purchased a PSP and figured out how to run downloaded PSX games on it. I know that I have the option to stretch the screen, but is there any option to improve the graphics? e.g. like how the PS2 offers the texture smoothing option, etc

If there are any hacks / downloads that can give the PSP options to improve PSX games graphics, please let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Shakedaddy

2. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    Nope, unfortunately not. You can improve the loading times via the menus but thats pretty much it.

3. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    in vita you have bilinear filtering option, even that doesn't improve much, in psp there isn't such an option unfortunately.

4. flame1234

flame1234 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 17, 2009
    United States
    There's a topic over at PPSSPP forums where they are publishing cheat codes that make games run at a higher frame rate than the developer intended. It only works with a few games, and doesn't improve fidelity at all.

5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    Except PPSSPP doesn't (and never will) support PS1 games, and those codes only work on PSP games.

As everyone else has stated, there's not really a way to improve graphics of PS1 games on a PSP or Vita.

6. GHANMI

GHANMI GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2012

I may also add that most of these codes merely speed up the game logic, and are emulator-specific (won't work/crash a real PSP).
    They're for a handful of PSP games.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You couldn't really improve the quality even if you wanted to - the PSP has a 480x272 screen while the PS1 mostly rendered at between 256x224 and 640x480, the latter being rare exceptions. Most played at 320x240 as far as I remember, so the difference caused by using a higher native resolution would be negligable on such a small screen.

8. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    Attack of the Jaggies :gun:

Just consider it a "Retro" filter when playing PSX on PSP

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be fair, PS1 games did not look as amazing as we remember them when blown up on a 40-inch TV, I'm willing to wager that they look considerably better on the smaller PSP screen. It's all about the size of the pixels, kids. :yay:

VatoLoco likes this.
  10. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    Aahhh Memories......Always better the First time it Happened :psp:

11. LumInvader

LumInvader GBAtemp Regular

Mar 30, 2013
    United States
    Just be sure not to use the screen stretching feature, which adds blur and a strange square pattern to all textures.