Improving disk read consistancy

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by xin, Mar 14, 2008.

Mar 14, 2008

Improving disk read consistancy by xin at 7:57 AM (1,299 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. xin
    OP

Newcomer xin Newbie

New Zealand
    So It's started happening alot to my Wii recently, All my games, Official copies and all, have seen the "Unable to read disk" error at some point or another.

Now, I know that burning games at the lowest speed can help. Along with the quality of media and quality of the drive. But all of these things are static (img burn only seems to want to burn Dual-Layer disks at 4x (even disks branded as 2.4x), theres a reasonably shit selection of media in my area, and I'm not buying another burner).

I seem to recall this can be caused by dodgy soldering of the chip. Is this true?

So is there anything I can do to get more reliable burns/reads?

and if anybody can help with the odd ImgBurn problem that'd be super too [​IMG].

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Try adjusting the POT of your Laser.

3. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    like he said adjust your laser but its hard, very hard and tricky to get to the the actual thing that needs twisting to adjust it, Alot of cables in the way and i couldnt even find a tool to adjust the whatever it is you call it that you tweak.

4. noisound

Member noisound GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    if you havent already try to sit your wii horizontally rather than vertically. the reasoning is thats how regular drives sit ;P and an old thread on wiinewz thats gone now =[

5. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I always have my consoles laid flat ... I'm old skool like that lol

6. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    ImgBurn problem? I have been using ImgBurn and before that, DVD Decrypter, for a long time, and never had any problems ... what's happening?

Also, have you thought that your burner might be dying? Dying burners produce more faulty discs.

7. PigVenus

Member PigVenus GBAtemp Regular

Sri Lanka
    Also, you might look for a firmware update for your DVD burner. I know that my Pioneers started doing a stellar job once I updated to the latest firmware.

8. Supah Eirian

Newcomer Supah Eirian Advanced Member

United States
    I read on Gizmodo that smoking in the area where you're Wii is greatly

A. creates disk read errors

B. Increases your risk of lung cancer.

Do you smoke? Japanese people hecka smoke, and this all emerged when SSBB came out, since it was the first Dual Layer Wii game, it gave a lot of Japanese users these read errors.

Nintendo will fix your laser for FREE, as long as your Wii isn't chopped and screwed, I'd send it to them to not void your warranty.

Oops, since it is modded, I'd listen to these guys :-)

9. defrb

Newcomer defrb Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Your wii horizontally, and try to clean your lazer with a dvd_lenz_cleaner. Dust can be a killer!
    Also your media can be a problem, try to burn on -dvd only and take a good brand.

good luck.