Gaming Impressions on the Switch and Mario Odyssey (only had both of these for a week)

austin5623

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some Rambling about Mario Odyssey
I got my Nintendo Switch last weekend, along with Mario Odyssey. Over that weekend, I had already completed the story. Now I'm currently at 410 Moons. I loved every single second of that game. For someone who's first video game was Super Mario 64, everything just came back to me. With around 850 Moons (if you exclude the store-bought ones), and each kingdom having 50-100 regional coins to collect means I'm somewhere around the 40-50% completion mark. Mario Galaxy used to be my game to play when I needed to come back to Mario, now, I'm proud to say, Mario Odyssey became my new favorite.
Some Rambling about the Switch itself
I am enjoying the Switch right now. The only main gripe I have is the lack of a d-pad (unless you shell out $60 for a Pro Controller). While I have kinda gotten used to the four button layout, I WILL NOT play a 2D platformer with the Joy-cons. But, that might just be the way I play platformers, since I move my thumb left and right in quick succession when I'm in mid-air in any attempt to land on a kinda small platform. That feeling of hitting both at the same time and hitting the up and down really gets to me. I don't have a problem with the placement of the sticks on the Joy-cons or the lack of analog triggers. The Plus and Minus buttons kinda confused me at first, but I got used to it.
EDIT: Found some replacement Joy-con shells with a d-pad on aliexpress, might pick them up.

Last edited by austin5623,
Reactions: Hardline

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll notice the joysticks are made like on the gamecube and probably the other consoles as well where you can slightly feel eight directions. It allows for an easier time when playing sidescrollers but I'm with you and I don't play them without a d-pad so I made my own custom one and it does the job. It's ugly as hell though. Get yourself a tempered screen protector.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.