awssk8er

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For a while now, I've been thinking about importing a Japanese Ice White Nintendo 3DS... but then I realized. I don't know ANY Japanese, and that's just a plain stupid idea.

I then realized importing one from Europe would make more sense. Especially with the fact that full games are going to be available on the eShop, so I wouldn't have to buy games overseas all the time.

I have three main questions/concerns.

1) I know there are power differences because of different regions. Would I need a power converter to change from 220V to 120V (Correct?)? Or could I charge the PAL 3DS on my charger that came with my NTSC-U 3DS?

2) Does the eShop take foreign credit cards? (Visa)

3) Do they add any import fees or anything other than higher shipping costs? I was thinking about buying from Amazon.co.uk, but I'm not even sure if they ship worldwide.

I'm hoping there's someone else here on the forum that has done that, and I want to hear about their experience. Thank you!

DirkyD

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To answer question 1, easiest to charge the PAL 3DS with a north american 3DS charger. I'm currently doing the opposite, north american 3DS charging using a european charger while I'm overseas.

pmk010

Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't imported my 3DS from a different country and can't answer your questions however I do believe that certain online activities and things like download play may not work with your 3DS due to the 3DS being region locked. Here is a quote from wikipedia: (The 3DS has) Regional lockout for Nintendo 3DS, DSiWare, and Nintendo DSi-enhanced software between Japan, America and Europe/Australia.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can charge the european 3DS with the charger provided with your american unit - it's the output current that counts, not the input. By the way, no such things as PAL or NTSC 3DS'es. They're region locked, but that has nothing to do with the PAL/NTSC division. The eShop should take any credit card, at least to my knowledge.

awssk8er

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
To answer question 1, easiest to charge the PAL 3DS with a north american 3DS charger. I'm currently doing the opposite, north american 3DS charging using a european charger while I'm overseas.
Alright, thanks. I figured it was the charger itself, and not the 3DS.

I haven't imported my 3DS from a different country and can't answer your questions however I do believe that certain online activities and things like download play may not work with your 3DS due to the 3DS being region locked. Here is a quote from wikipedia: (The 3DS has) Regional lockout for Nintendo 3DS, DSiWare, and Nintendo DSi-enhanced software between Japan, America and Europe/Australia.
I forgot to mention that I knew that. I don't really care about download play or anything. Street pass works with different regions, and that's all I really care about.

pmk010

Trophies
XP
Country
You can charge the european 3DS with the charger provided with your american unit - it's the output current that counts, not the input. By the way, no such things as PAL or NTSC 3DS'es. They're region locked, but that has nothing to do with the PAL/NTSC division. The eShop should take any credit card, at least to my knowledge.

There is such thing as PAL and NTSC 3DS's. Same for Wii and DSi.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Uhh... No.

There is no such thing as a PAL/NTSC 3DS or PAL DSi - they're either EUR, JAP or USA.

PAL = Phase Alternating Line
NTSC = National Television System Committee

Those are TV standards, not regions. They never were regions. This applies to home consoles connected to TV's, not independent handhelds.

Reactions: 2 people

pmk010

Trophies
XP
Country
Uhh... No.

There is no such thing as a PAL/NTSC 3DS or PAL DSi - they're either EUR, JAP or USA.

Those are TV standards, not regions. They never were regions. This applies to home consoles connected to TV's, not independent handhelds.
However people still use PAL and NTSC when referring to regions. Anyway let's stay on topic.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's stay on-topic indeed - a european 3DS takes the same current as an american one does, thus you can use an american charger no problem. I'm pretty sure that Streetpass is not region-specific thus it should also function normally. You shouldn't have problems with connecting to the eShop - you'll be connecting to the european one, not the american one though. The 3DS should work perfectly fine, it just won't accept american cartridges. That about covers it.
EDIT: My mistake - I got confused lol.

Reactions: 1 person

awssk8er

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The european eShop takes Visa, you'll need a power converter 230V - 50Hz 7W. ;)
Thank you, that's all I needed to know. :P

I actually thought that NTSC and PAL weren't the right terms when it came to handhelds, but I was looking on Play-Asia before and they used those terms. I didn't even realize I worded it that way. It was an accident, you guys are right.

Edit:

Let's stay on-topic indeed - a european 3DS takes the same current as an american one does, thus you can use an american charger no problem. I'm pretty sure that Streetpass is not region-specific thus it should also function normally. You shouldn't have problems with connecting to the eShop - you'll be connecting to the american one, not the european one though. The 3DS should work perfectly fine, it just won't accept american cartridges. That about covers it.

Wait... I will be? Don't you mean the other way around? With a European 3DS in America, shouldn't I connect to the European eShop?

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Let's stay on-topic indeed - a european 3DS takes the same current as an american one does, thus you can use an american charger no problem. I'm pretty sure that Streetpass is not region-specific thus it should also function normally. You shouldn't have problems with connecting to the eShop - you'll be connecting to the american one, not the european one though. The 3DS should work perfectly fine, it just won't accept american cartridges. That about covers it.
I'm pretty sure that if he uses an European 3DS, he'll connect to the European eShop server, whether he wants to or not, I don't believe the place you connect from would change your eShop, since I've been to dif countries with my 3DS and always accessed the same eShop.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm pretty sure that if he uses an European 3DS, he'll connect to the European eShop server, whether he wants to or not, I don't believe the place you connect from would change your eShop, since I've been to dif countries with my 3DS and always accessed the same eShop.
lol, that's what I *wanted* to write but somehow mixed up the two 3DS'es. Yes, that's the case, sorry for the confusion, I'll edit now.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Uhh... No.

Right. Handhelds or their games not being independent are definitely the exception.

Rare instances of NTSC or PAL issues can arise when they run console games or TV output. Sega only released Game Gear and Nomad in 60hz form. Getting them into Master System backwards compatibility mode would have problems with games built for 50hz.

In perhaps the most bizarre situtation... Super Game Boy was capable of executing region locked SNES data, stored on a region free Game Boy cartridge. The 16bit special mode in Space Invaders only runs under a correct region SNES.

Jaxom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's hard to find without it being in the Mario bundle. They probably only sell the white one like that.
I found a lot more of Ice White 3DS alone than packed with Super Mario Land 3D in shops, but on the Internet, this is slightly different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs