Important: Pokémon fails to load save game!

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by ilovengage, Nov 15, 2007.

Nov 15, 2007
  1. ilovengage
    OP

Member ilovengage GBAtemp Fan

Austria
    Hi!
    I've got an important question - today my little brother came to me and showed me his DS while starting Pokémon Diamond and immediately after starting you see an error message that the save file couldn't be loaded and you should re-insert the game card and start again (it's the same kind of message that appears on some flash cards when playing newer games (which can be fixed by using the arm7 fix). Of course that can't be the problem in this case cause it's a original game so I checked out the game card with some tools (e.g. Rudolphs dumper) - after Name and ROM size are recognized correctly it says "0 (Not provided)".

Now has anyone a idea how my brother can get his save back? I know it's hardly possible because it seems that the save chip or the connection or something that could be the reason is defect, but I just wanted to know if someone has an idea. My brother spent over 200 hours of playing with his game and transfered his best Pokémon from the 150 hour Leaf Green edition to the DS game .......

Thanks!

BTW - We tried it on four different DS', so it's not the DS that is the problem.

2. soliunasm

Member soliunasm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    First off, try dumping the save via Reinmoon(Slot 1+2) or SavSender(Slot 1) and try loading it on your flashcart. If the save is still fine, then it's a defective game and you need to send it to Nintendo.
    Otherwise, you won't get the save file back no matter what you try :/

3. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Use savsender to get it off. I regularly use it to get my Pokemon diamond save off my legit card edit it with pokesav (with in the game boundaries of course) and then restore it back to my legit card. Never had an problems ever with it.
    More detailed guide on how to use savsender can be found here

Do pretty much what the guy above me said

4. ilovengage
    OP

Austria
    I already tried it with Rein and another backup tool (I think it was savesender) and it didn't work with them eiter. Seems that the card is really defect ...

5. soliunasm

United States
    So you backed up the Save file or the Game?
    Because if the save file does not work on a clean rom(Just find one to test it), then the save file is bad. If the save file works on a clean rom, it means the game is defective.

6. kazumi213

Member kazumi213 GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    ilovengage, PM me the dumped save game (it should be a 512 kbytes file), maybe I can help trying to recover it. However if you've tried to load it on the original card several times before dumping it, possible recoverable data is probably lost. You can always replace the card, but not the saved data. I would like to give it a look just in case.

7. ilovengage
    OP

Austria
    The problem is I can't even READ the save file. When using save backup tools I can't backup it. In one tool it said save type is -1 (I think savsender) and in rudlophs dumping tool it says 0 (Not Provide) - while the rest of the game is recognized correctly (rom size, name, ...).

It seems that the save chip or whatever this is is defect (or the connection to it) [​IMG]

8. soliunasm

United States
    Your game is busted then.
    See if you can start a new game and save(You won't be able to get back your old save file anyway :/).
    If the save still shows up as a 0/-1, then you need to return the game.

9. kazumi213

Member kazumi213 GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    I see...

Before trying to save again, please try to clean the card contacts. Also, shake the card a bit and smoothly press both sides of the plastic cover (who knows?, lol)

10. ilovengage
    OP

Austria
    I've already "accepted" that I can't get the save back and I'm sure the only solution is to give it back (and trade if for another copy) because I can't even start a new game. The error message occurs right after starting up - so there's no GameFreak logo and intro starting and I can't pass this message. It's like when using thegames which need the arm7 fix on a flash card that doesn't support them (and they aren't fixed). Only thing you can do is powering the DS off.