Importance of DirectX 10?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Rangent, Jan 17, 2007.

Jan 17, 2007

Importance of DirectX 10? by Rangent at 6:24 AM (898 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Rangent
    OP

Member Rangent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm in the market to buy a new video card, and someone told me that if I'm planning on getting a new video card, it should be directx 10 capable... but he couldn't explain why it was important... I currently have an Nvidia 6600 (old card), something in the late 7000 series was what I was planning on upgrading to but the person reccomended I get the 8800 series... explanation anyone?

2. azndragonguy115

Member azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    8000s are the only one supporting dx10 right now

dx9 = inside of teh 360 and ps3

3. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    i say wait a little while (if money is a big factor) cause once more Dx10 cards come out you can get a high 7000 series for prolly alot cheaper or just wait fro some more dx10 card to flood the market.

4. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I don't think directX is inside the ps3, because directX is Microsoft. I think the PS3 uses OpenGL or something like that.

5. azndragonguy115

Member azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    your rigth opium i just check

6. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    DX10 cards are overpriced atm, I've just built a new PC with a 7900GS in it (this card is the best bang for buck at the present time) - I'm intending to get a DX10 card eventually, ie. when the prices come down, and there's rumours about Nvidia moving to a smaller fabrication process, which means cards that are less power-hungry and give off less heat but should have some higher clock speeds.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    DirectX is a series of APIs and hardware specs for cards to be certified as directx compatible MS uses to lighten the load (and maintain an effective monopoly) on game developers and to a lesser extent multimedia functions/developers (some video cards and other things have hardware based deinterlacing or enhanced audio features but this is fairly rare and not supported very often by end user programs).

DirectX 10 is the newest version of this and is being pushed with vista, it seems likely that a lot of new games will benefit from/be tied to directx10.
    The upside of this is everyone is trying to shift directx9 certified/compatible cards which have now peaked in terms of design and drivers and run fantastically and so are selling them for peanuts.
    To this end I think Dirtie has the right idea although make sure your motherboard if you buy one can take PCI express/PCIe (they all should) as that seems to be the interface of choice these days.

8. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    directx10 will support something called geometry shaders which'll allow the graphics programmers to make it look like the meshes have changed even tho they haven't. this is the importance of directx 10.
    it looks terribly nice... and yeah I suggest you wait a few more months to buy gfx cards. [​IMG]

9. Rangent
    OP

Member Rangent GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Will wait! Thanks folks!

10. Kyuzumaki

Member Kyuzumaki GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If your 6600 is AGP then I wouldn't bother waiting. DX10 does look nice crysis is the only game i've seen so far using it.

It'll be backwards compatable anyway, dx9 still uses some old bits from the dx7 days [​IMG]

11. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Cards supporting DirectX 10 are on their way, but games supporting DirectX 10 won't be here in a long time. You see, only Vista supports DX10. Win XP don't. But Vista supports games made for the WinXP. So developers won't make any Vista-only games, when they can make WinXP games, and sell them to all. Only when the majority of users switch to Vista will Vista exclusives become financially feasible, and devs will start making DirectX 10 games. Until then, no need to get a DX10 supporting graphics card.

12. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I just built a new PC with a DX10 graphics card (8800GTX) ready for March when the first DX10 games will be released.
    It is a shame that its Vista only as currently gaming in Vista sucks.
    My card is soo large I needed to choose a different case just to fit it, it uses a lot of power. I needed a 600W PSU just for one card.

13. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    go to gametrailers and download a HD Crysis flythrough and watch DX10.

cyberpowerpc is still cheaper than building your own pc (that is where i got my pc)