Import on Wikkey: Japan text all scrambled!!!

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by howdoin, Mar 25, 2007.

Mar 25, 2007
  1. howdoin
    OP

Newcomer howdoin Newbie

United States
    Just wanted to share this info and see if anybody else had the same experience:

I played 2 original import games on my NTSC-U Wii with Wikey: Kururin and Super Puzzle Bobble. In both instance the Japanese text when the games loads (Copyright Nintendo... blah blah) is just scrambled tex like : @#$%^&*& and this is the same thing during the game when there is text displayed.
    Both games work/play fine but everytime there is some in-game text, in cutscenes for example, the same problem comes up and all the text is scrambled again. Menus and options still display in japanese so, I am assuming this is because menus are "graphics" but discussions are plain "tex file" within the game.

Anyone else experienced this? Is there any way to fix this or do we need a modchip with dual-firmware US/JP to play correctly? I can see this being a problem when trying to RPG and text intensive games requiring some reading.

2. DiNo29

Member DiNo29 GBAtemp Regular

France
    Maybe you could set your Wii language to Japanese, if its available.

3. NoNameFace

Member NoNameFace GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    This happened exactly same on my modified European Gamecube with Chibirobot,
    but it did work fine on my Japanese one so I am affraid there is no solution to this issue.
    You just have to buy a Japanese Wii or Gamecube to play with.