Implied 'rape scene' in Hotline Miami 2 draws harsh criticism and debate

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by soulx, Aug 15, 2013.

1. soulx
    OP

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/424642/anger-over-rape-scene-in-hotline-miami-2/
    Scene in question, NSFW

2. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Oh man, diz is liek awsum! dis liek, maeks me wan raep ppl and stuf rite? itz so reelistik!

#inb4FoxNews

3. Bake

Bake GBAtemp Regular

Aug 19, 2008
    Croatia
    Why do people care so much holy god

DiabloStorm likes this.
  4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh dear.

Now, I'm not going to defend "rape" in video games, but I'd like to state that it's clearly not a game mechanic - it's a part of a cutscene from what I understand. "Hot Line Miami" is a game for mature audiences and if we see rape scenes in movies, books or theatre, I don't see a reason why we shouldn't in video games as long as they serve a purpose - in this case, the purpose of showing the player that his character is a despicable piece of sh*t.

5. Cortador

Cortador GBAtemp Fan

Nov 27, 2008
    United States
    I can't understand anything of what is going on on the screen. :(

Can someone post a picture of the scene?

6. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    If it's part of the narrative and contributes to the work in some fashion, then I see no reason to worry over it. This game seeks to capture a kind of atmosphere and trope, and the rape of a woman, in this context, is merely a part of that categorical packaging.

Some individuals have a difficult time seeing a difference between exploiting some idea, action, event, or facet and furthering some problematic issue, and rendering that issue as-is for the sake of convention, context, or concern.

Though I suppose as videogames are primarily a business, publishers and developers are more inclined to bow to public pressure and concern than to really make a work that exists for-itself, rather than for catering towards an audience.

7. Dork

Dork Newbie

Now it's all about MUH FEMINISM and MUH FEELINGS, you can thank all those social justice warriors.

Celice likes this.
  8. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Yet when Oz did it, it was ground-breaking television...

9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Hooray for contrived, fake controversies!

I mean, it's just silly. The characters are shooting people and bashing their heads in with wild abandon and yet this is where they're drawing the line? This is a disgusting step too far? Really?

Maybe consider the context surrounding the scene before picketing and hollering.

10. wrettcaughn

wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

11. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!

Not really! While I can't think of a case of public outrage causing censorship of a commercial game, I can think of several cases of 'public outcry' that resulted in the developers taking a firm stance behind their game: The original Mortal Kombat, the latest DMC, Dragon's Crown... and none of these instances of excessive violence or... character design (?) were contextual. The devs were just like, "Quit whining and play game."

Oh wait, I can think of an example of a developer buckling to pressure - Bioware by creating new endings for all the whiny fans. And that WAS contextual... Yet by the same token they always left in whatever sex/sexuality options they wanted.

12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I don't see a problem with it if the player doesn't actively participate/choose to rape the woman. It's just part of the story, like any other movie/book/media, and shows how shitty the character is as a person.

13. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Oh wow, I had to watch the video twice just to find it. There's been much worse in much more popular games. This is just character building and shit.

14. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    This, indeed. I played through Hotline Miami. Total ultra-violence and degrading and morally wrong choices everywhere. The fact that this is a movie scène actually makes it LESS violent this time around.

I know America has these weird standards on sexual things, especially compared to violence...but this is starting to get REALLY silly in this example.

15. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Okay Australia, you're up next!

Somehow I still find it odd that games get so much attention, but violence and the likes in movies and TV series are just fine due to them being crucial to the plot. Oh well..

Rydian likes this.
  16. Windaga

Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    New England
    How absurd. Of course it's disgusting, revolting, and of poor taste.

Just like murder, kidnapping, and car jacking are. But no one seems to care about those things. Yes it's pixel rape that crosses the line. Not genocide, not beheadings, not blowing up innocent bystanders cars - but a disgusting character raping someone. What a joke.

Yeah it's bad. But so is everything else. Complain about that, too. I'm not condoning rape - it's vile and disgusting - but so is ruthless murder.

EZ-Megaman and LightyKD like this.
  17. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    The entire game looks like total shit and should just be scrapped.

SolidSnake95 likes this.
  18. SolidSnake95

SolidSnake95 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    Fuck, you stole the words right out of my mouth.

19. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    Really?
    I'll understand concern if they showed graphite images or a 2 min cutscene of seeing rape.

But you know, rape happens. And even if thats what was intended to happen in that scene, people should be mature enough to acknowledge it as media.
    Stop sheltering everything.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  20. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    this is poor taste...

it should be, you fuck her and than kill her to get your money.